3rd gen 4Runner axle question

slowxj

I have yet to be able to find a definite answer for this. I have a 99 4runner that has a bent rear axle flange, not the housing, just the shaft. I know all 3rd gen 4runners have the 8” rear end. Would there be any reason why an axle shaft from any 3rd gen 4Runner (as long as it has abs as mine does) wouldn’t work? Thanks for any help!

4runnerteq

Explorer
Pretty sure they are all the same. May be hard to get just a used axle. Most salvage I would think would want to sell the complete rear end

slowxj

Pretty sure they are all the same. May be hard to get just a used axle. Most salvage I would think would want to sell the complete rear end

That’s what I originally thought but with all the misinformation I’ve found I’m not sure. I have found one out of an 01 but I’ve seen that it wouldn’t work but never a reason why. I’ve had a xj as my overland rig for the past five years and currently still do but I bought a 4runner with everything I wanted a while back. Unfortunately I don’t know as much about these as I do about my Jeep. Thanks for the help though.

4runnerteq

Explorer
I checked part #s. There are two different axles depending on tire size and ABS, however if both vehicles came with 265/70s and ABS it appears to use the same.

TheCascadeKid

Observer
You may have already looked into this, but it's a bit of a pain. You need to build a tool or buy one for 350 bucks if you want to reuse the components that are sandwiched between the axle flange and wheel bearing. A 20 ton press will also be required.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/toyota-axle-bearing-puller-tool-plate-style-yt-p71.html

I went the build a tool route, but it a took an afternoon and a few beers. Simplest version of the tool I saw was a chopped axle housing. A gen 1 Tacoma axle should also work if you happen across one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger