3rd gen 4Runner brake upgrade.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I'll give them a try. I've had trouble with mud and debris before, but I don't live down in the bayous any more.

Are Duralast Ceramics really worth the investment? I have no experience with them. I've always heard rave reviews about raybestos pads.

In theory, the slotted brakes should work. But I've never seen a rig go through mud and have brake troubles. Also, I have to assume the slots would even get filled with mud/debris. Plus, anytime you take away material from the rotors, you take away mass, which = potential for brake fade. The main reason why the Tundra brakes work in the first place is the sheer mass of it compared to 3rd Gen brakes.

My Duralast ceramics have treated me well. But I don't tow a ton, either. They're only $40 with a lifetime warranty, so I tried them out. No warping of rotors or fade noticed thus far (10k miles).

journey

Observer
It is my understanding that slots are used to allow gasses created during sustained braking to escape from between the pad and rotor. The gasses can prevent full contact between the surfaces. I have DBA slotted rotors on my WRX for that reason. For an expedition vehicle standard rotor should work as well or better. Just get some that are high quality and you will be good.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
It is my understanding that slots are used to allow gasses created during sustained braking to escape from between the pad and rotor. The gasses can prevent full contact between the surfaces. I have DBA slotted rotors on my WRX for that reason. For an expedition vehicle standard rotor should work as well or better. Just get some that are high quality and you will be good.

That is very true......if this were the 1960's. :D With modern compounds, gasses are no longer a problem. I hope whoever you bought your rotors from didn't sell you on that.

journey

Observer
I bought them on a recomendation from my suby forum. They have served be well and I have yet to overheat them.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
What do y'all think of this!

I will check to see if I have enough extra thread on my lugs, but I am thinking these will clear the 231 calipers and make my stance an almost perfect match to the Sherpa Trailer I am looking at.

toy_tek

Adventurer
There is another option you have that will be cheaper and easier to source:

Brembo rotors and new OEM pads. I went this route 5 years ago before the Tundra option became widely known. I've put about 60k on the Brembos with no sign of warpage, including pulling a 4000lb trailer (no brakes) across the US. Along with making sure your rear brakes are adjusted properly, you will almost certainly never have warpage.

I think I paid about $120 for the Brembo's online. I will definitely replace them with the same when they are worn beyond limits.

As an aside, I actually had 199mm calipers here and was planning to do the swap. Then I realized it wasn't really going to fix anything, as my setup works as it should. I sold them.

Vermejo probably has a noticable improvement as he is running 35's on his rig. Those are some big heavy meats for stock size brakes!

Edit: I would avoid wheel spacers if at all possible. Yotatech (among other sites) is littered with wheel vibration stories related to using spacers.

Last edited:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I put on the 1/4" aluminum spacers with the deep thread lug nuts, torqued to 100lbs. My truck misalignment is more noticeable now. I will get it aligned and update. I am worried that I may have some wheel wobble here, but will not know for sure until the alignment is done. We will see. I may have to find new rims to put on to fit the 231 calipers.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
So... I had a boo boo. My lame @$$ never thought to check the deep thread lug nuts fit to the stock rims. They are now ruined. I can't recall feeling more stupid! :confused:

This may be my excuse to get new wheels and tires. I will look tomorrow. If I end up making a deal, I will just get rims that will fit the tundra calipers.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
So what did you mess up exactly? How costly of a mistake is this?

A

The lug nuts bent / ground away the flat flange on the rims that the lugs are supposed to tighten onto. I have a spare set of rims in the garage, so it is not catastrophic, but extremely irritating. I am planning on buying new rims and tires anyways, so this may be my excuse.

The total boo boo cost thus far is more or less $150, including the cost of the spacers and lug nuts. I was lucky to score some rims for cheap $$$ a while back, so I'm not going to take too big a hit on this. I may have broken my thumb as well tonight, so that will probably cost more than the boo boo. I will have details on both tomorrow.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I went and bought new rims and tires.

I got the ******** Cepek DC-1s due to the fact that they are designed for clearing big calipers. I'm not really pleased with how flashy they are, but I'll give them a chance to grow on me before I decide to paint them. They have a -12mm offset and a 4" backspace and are 16x8. I now have a wider stance with skinnier tires, and am very pleased with the added stability as my truck gets taller and taller.

The tires are BFG KM2 255/85/R16s. They look good, ride smoother than expected, and give me much more traction than my street tires (obviously). I have never had a set of MTs before, and look forward to testing them on something other than the pile of dirt down the street. There was some trimming and pounding required to fit them, even with a 1.5" body lift, but after the adjustment, they seem to be a perfect fit. I will update on the KM2 review thread as I accumulate mileage on them. I will also compile a build thread sometime soonish that hopefully will help some of you 3rd gen 4Runner folks with the quirky problems and issues with our trucks. The thread will include details on trimming required for tire fitment, blah, blah, blah.

I should be set up at this point to pull the trigger on the brake upgrade. I will wait on cashflow, but hopefully will not have to wait too long. Once school starts up and our busy season starts at work, I will not have much time for mods, so we will see.

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears