3rd Gen 4Runner question - Cluster swap between CDN and US models?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
We're looking for a 3rd Gen 4Runner for the wife. Found a Canadian model at a local dealership. Can the gauge cluster be swapped out for a US one without issues? On my Honda's, it's just a direct swap. Not sure if this is the same case with Toyota's.

Any other items to look for? I'd assume not much is different, if at all (other than the gauge cluster). I have not gone to take a look at it yet, but don't most Canadian models come with heated side mirrors?

Come the weekend, I'll go check it ooot. I mean, out.

Oh, it's a 99 Limited w/ rear locker.

Applejack

Explorer
I would assume it's a direct swap. i have a Canadian '99 Limited too!
What is it that is different about the gauges?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I guess I assumed that it's in KPH instead of MPH? And KM instead of M on the odo? Am I not correct in assuming this?

EricBirk

Adventurer
why bother, if anything you will just drive slower :D
I am *hopefully* pulling an 02 Taco up from the states, tickets here we come haha

it should have both ranges on it km/m.

Applejack

Explorer
Oh and check for rust. They painted over mine but it's starting to show through and it's pretty much everywhere.:(

SGV

Adventurer
Oh and check for rust. They painted over mine but it's starting to show through and it's pretty much everywhere.:(

Ditto. Mine came from Quebec. The safety info on the visor is in French and English. The rust on the back is pretty bad. I had to swap out the rear assembly because it was rusted completely through. Wasn't cheap. Come to think of it, I have put nearly as much money into as I paid for it. Next time I am going to look at a clean southwest truck. I get jealous of all the Arizona builds I see.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Why would you want to swap it? Sounds like a lot of $$ and trouble for little gain.

For a lot less money you could get some little stickers to put on the speedo so you'd know where 55mph, 65mph, 75mph etc is (if you don't just memorize it first, which would even be easier and cost nothing.)

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Thanks, I will pay close attention for rust issues.

Why would you want to swap it? Sounds like a lot of $$ and trouble for little gain.

For a lot less money you could get some little stickers to put on the speedo so you'd know where 55mph, 65mph, 75mph etc is (if you don't just memorize it first, which would even be easier and cost nothing.)

A lot of money? I've sourced one for $100. Maybe even cheaper from someone parting out their 4Runner. I think it will look a lot cleaner than stickers, not to mention MPG calculations won't be a pain. Worth the $$ to me.

AlexJet

Explorer
I got US model from South Carolina and it has MPH instead of KPH. I think it took me about 2 days to get used to it and the same time for my wife (she drives it most of the time.
I don't see a big point to swap as its cash + work time. I was thinking of getting CDN cluster, but they are too expensive here, so I stayed with US.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Well, maybe we could do a straight trade, if I end up picking this CDN model up. :D If it's anything like a Honda, a few screws and unclip a couple of harnesses and it's out.

I'm just anal about the smallest things and it would just drive me nuts. I know, I have a problem.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78