3rd gen 4runner: Transmission upgrade options?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Just thinking about building my 3rd gen 4runner up for longevity and reliability...What kind of transmission upgrades are available?

Does anybody here run a transmission oil cooler on a 3rd gen 4runner with the auto tranny? I know in some types of vehicles they're pretty common, in other types, not so much.

Did Toyota offer a trans oil cooler for this transmission? Is there an aftermarket one?

I don't do a lot of rock crawling but I do want to be able to drive in conditions of extreme heat without burning up the tranny.

Are there any other transmission upgrades? Does the stock transmission have a lockup torque converter? If not, is it possible to add one? Does it offer any real advantages?

Darren

Adventurer
Toyotas don't have longevity and reliability in stock form? OEM stuff is always best on virtually every component. It doesn't seem like a beneficial path to take to me, especially if it's just regular driving (not towing) involved.

maclean216

Observer
I have had and destroyed a IPT transmission. If you are not adding a supercharger or other major power adders, I would advise against it. That year 4runner isn't prone to tranny problems.

I would install a transmission cooler be it the TRD model or other.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I have heard good things about Hayden coolers. Cheap and easy to install (at least from the instructions). I need to get this done, too. Cheap insurance.

wyorunner

Observer
I have the TRU-COOL LPD 4454 from the IPT website, had it for about 8 months, put severeal thousand miles on it already (~10k) about 5k of which were pulling a loaded trailer. Havnt had any problems. Cheap and easy to do.

jim65wagon

Not a 4Runner, but I've got the Tru-Cool 4452 on the Tundra. Easy install and it's been on about 100,000 miles or so....adding a cooler is worth the investment, and this is a case where "bigger is better". Heat is your transmissions worst enemy, keep it cool and change the fluid often.

keezer36

Adventurer
I scraped my original cooler and installed a Hayden 526 in it's place along with their 3651 controller and 163 bypass for the colder climates.
The cooler has been great. It was probably overkill in that I have never gotten my trans gauge past about 190 (climb to Sequoia National Forest) but I like the thought of having the fan for the cooler. In daily driving it runs between 130-160.
I had one controller die on me. They sent one free of charge though it was outside the warranty.
I wonder about the bypass in that my trans gauge needle doesn't even move in the winter (gauge starts at 100 degrees). Then again, I don't know how hot a transmission without a cooler gets in the winter. Perhaps I was expecting too much but I thought it might keep the trans temp up above 130.

Their customer service is great. Bruce Stone bstone@haydenauto.com

Applejack

Explorer
Another vote for the Hayden. I had one on my '99 4Runner and put on about 55K with it on. Your daily city commute is about the worst thing you can do to your auto tranny. Decreasing the heat build up with an extra cooler is going to net you a longer service life. Go for it, it's a simple addition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger