3rd gen 4runner vs FZJ80

purdueXJ

Observer
I'm considering selling my Jeep early next year, and replacing it with either a 3rd gen 4runner or an FZJ80. Other than the obvious differences, size, solid front axle on the 80, what would be the pros and cons between the two. Both would be higher miles for the price I can spend, probably around 150,000 and maybe higher if I were going to go with a 4 runner since they seem to be more pricey.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I own one of each. What would you like to know.

Also, I'm in West Lafayette this weekend if you want to take a look at a built 3rd gen... let me know.

purdueXJ

Observer
I guess I just want to know common problems of both, I don't know a whole lot about the drive train of either. What to look for in each platform, and what to avoid.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I really like the 80's. I often toy with the idea of one for the additional space.

Here is why I haven't made the move. This is just my opinion so take it as that:

-I drive mine everyday to work and a 3rd gen drives so much better around town because it's smaller and it just handles better. I've driven enough 80's to know that I love the big heavy feel for a few minutes and then get frustrated that I can't "zip" around town like I can in my truck.
-MPG: I can still get 18MPG on the highway and my truck is a heavy pig! An 80 is in the low teens. 10-13 seems normal from reading Ih8mud.
-Parts for my truck are cheap. Partly because a TON of them were made so I can find used parts cheap and partly because a LandCruiser is a Premium item with Premium retail Toyota pricing.
-I like going fast offroad sometimes. Companies like Icon or Total Chaos make great items so I can really rally through the desert and make good time. My friends with solid axles or OME only options tend to get frustrated that they have to go slower. I just don't know if I'd be frustrated doing an offroad loop I enjoy now at a certain speed if I had to knock the speed down. Honestly, I don't think I'd care, but it's a slight reason not to make the move.

In most other respects I think the 80 is a win. If it were a second vehicle, a diesel conversion, or if I had kids I think I'd make the switch sooner.

Otherwise. I really do love my truck. It's so reliable for how much I abuse it. It's just amazing that I haven't ripped something off long ago.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I second everything Tim said. A LC is more expensive to maintain, fuel, modify versus a 4Runner. Check out how much it will cost you to lift and armour a LC. It will make you think twice.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've never driven an 80 so I can't comment on their abilities but I can tell you a box-stock 3rd gen is pretty darn capable off-road, too, esp. with a locker.

Another difference is that you can get a 5 speed in a 96-00 4runner. You can also get a 4 cylinder if you want one, though they're hard to find.

Pikeman

Adventurer
My brother has a 93 80 series with the factory lockers front and rear. He loves it and doesnt mind the lower MPG's. I love my 98 4 Runner and the build I have on it works as my DD and for upper-moderate trails and exploring. I have done most of the Black Diamond trails in the Big Bear mountain area. It also fits my family of 4 just fine.

FZJ80: Pesky Heater Hose issue, poor mileage, expensive to build. However very strong torque and reliability with front and rear lockers available from factory. Larger heavier but also more room.

3rd Gen Runner: Rear axle seals(keep diff breather clean or mod) can be expensive to build but still cheaper then the 80. Can only get a rear locker from factory. Both vehicles can have ARB lockers front and rear installed. The 3.4L is strong and reliable.

purdueXJ

Observer
I really like the 80's. I often toy with the idea of one for the additional space.

Here is why I haven't made the move. This is just my opinion so take it as that:

-I drive mine everyday to work and a 3rd gen drives so much better around town because it's smaller and it just handles better. I've driven enough 80's to know that I love the big heavy feel for a few minutes and then get frustrated that I can't "zip" around town like I can in my truck.
-MPG: I can still get 18MPG on the highway and my truck is a heavy pig! An 80 is in the low teens. 10-13 seems normal from reading Ih8mud.
-Parts for my truck are cheap. Partly because a TON of them were made so I can find used parts cheap and partly because a LandCruiser is a Premium item with Premium retail Toyota pricing.
-I like going fast offroad sometimes. Companies like Icon or Total Chaos make great items so I can really rally through the desert and make good time. My friends with solid axles or OME only options tend to get frustrated that they have to go slower. I just don't know if I'd be frustrated doing an offroad loop I enjoy now at a certain speed if I had to knock the speed down. Honestly, I don't think I'd care, but it's a slight reason not to make the move.

In most other respects I think the 80 is a win. If it were a second vehicle, a diesel conversion, or if I had kids I think I'd make the switch sooner.

Otherwise. I really do love my truck. It's so reliable for how much I abuse it. It's just amazing that I haven't ripped something off long ago.

Great info, thanks.

I've never driven an 80 so I can't comment on their abilities but I can tell you a box-stock 3rd gen is pretty darn capable off-road, too, esp. with a locker.

Another difference is that you can get a 5 speed in a 96-00 4runner. You can also get a 4 cylinder if you want one, though they're hard to find.

A 5 speed is definitely a plus,which ones are most likely to have a locker, SR5 or the limited?

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Great info, thanks.

A 5 speed is definitely a plus,which ones are most likely to have a locker, SR5 or the limited?

I would say that the limited appears to be no more likely to have it than a sport edition or sr5. The hardest thing to find is a manual transmission V6. I found one, but it lacked a rear locker so I moved on. 5 years later with ARB lockers front and rear I realize how getting the locker on it stock wasn't really a big deal. A locker can be added (toyota OEM or ARB aftermarket) so easily, but adding a manual tranny is some serious and expensive stuff.

If I were looking again I'd go for a 98,99,00 4runner V6 with either manual or auto. I like auto because when I'm going slow offroad I'm usually looking at maps and drinking coffee etc while I bump along. The rest of the time I would love a manual. (Mine is an 01 so the AWD is nice when it's wet or snowy out. I just push a button while driving down the highway. The negatives of the 01-02 models with all wheel drive sort of outweigh that one positive. There are more electronics and I had the actuator for the center diff lock go out at about 140,000 miles after a lot of water crossings)

I haven't had anything really go wrong so I can't tell you what to look out for. Make sure it goes into 4low. Make sure you can hear the locker "click" into place if it has one.

Something like this http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2068468750.html
or this http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2078989851.html

Or the rare 5spd: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2075451982.html

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire

The Limited ones.

Some great info here. I can echo most of it. The 3.4 is like the little engine that could. Its not a rocket ship, but it makes enough power to have a good pickup especially in 4Lo. It is the most bomb proof engine I have ever owned, just don't modify it. The 4cylinder (2.7L) is also very stout, but I would recommend going for the 3.4L.

My 4runner with a rear locker and tires is a point and go vehicle. It can carry a lot of weight now due to upgraded suspension and brakes, and is still small enough to make it down tight trails. Its also easy to park, and the position of the driver almost 50% between front and rear of the vehicle makes driving angles very easy to calculate. I can eyeball some very tight lines while off road in my 3rd gen and usually do not have to make any corrections.

My 80 series is big, slow, and wonderful. I love driving that truck, and that will be the truck I take around the world. It is very roomy inside (but no cup holders), and comfortable for long trips. Completely stock, that truck gets 14 mpg, no matter how it is driven. If you choose the 80 series, you will be taking it in the gas :sombrero: , but there are some obvious advantages. F/R lockers available stock, very bombproof drivetrain, and with a little modification, a very versatile setup (Full time 4wd with unlocked center, 4Hi with locked center, 4Lo with unlocked / locked, and even part time 4wd with some modification to the t-case). These trucks are world renowned for their ability to shrug off abuse, and have earned their stripes in the Overlanding world as the best platform ever brought to the U.S. As long as you are not in a hurry to get there, you will not be disappointed.

My 3rd gen does much better on washboard roads and fast bumpy stuff.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
One negative I'll add about the 3rd gen is the (IMO) inadequate fuel tank size (18.5 gallon) combined with a very, very unreliable gas gauge (if you look at the 3rd gen sub forums on t4r.org you'll see this is one of the most consistent complaints about the 3rd gen.)

My Montero (1990) got the same MPG or worse but it didn't feel as "deprived" because the tank was 24 gallons, so I could almost always count on 400 miles/tank. With the 4runner my low fuel light is typically on by 230 in the city and has come on as early as 190 miles from fill up! Even on the highway I rarely go over 300 miles/tank which IMO is too short for an ExPo vehicle.

I note that the 4th gen 4runners have a 24 gallon tank. IMO 20+ is the minimum size for a vehicle of this type.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter

Every Limited I looked at had the locker. I guess there were some that came without it but at least around here most of them have it. My SR5 has it, and I think probably at least a third of the SR5s I looked at have the locker.

Note, however, that there was never a limited available with the 5 speed.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
When I bought my 5 speed, I thought I was lucky. They are pretty hard to come across. Lockers can be added later, so I wouldn't let that be you deciding factor. When mine had a locker, it would go pretty much anywhere I pointed it. With my 5 speed and stock gears I can pull 33's and still get 18 mpg.

The fuel range is not the best as mentioned above. I've only broken the 300 mile mark twice. My fuel gauge is pretty screwy, but the low fuel light always comes on at the right time so I don't worry about it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger