3rd Gen Tacoma for towing - manual vs. automatic?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So this is a spinoff from my bigger thread in the General Vehicle thread here: https://forum.expeditionportal.com/...ng-back-to-a-mid-size-recommendations.240860/

Toyota seems to be the last hold-out in the manual transmission world, which I think it great. My question for the Toyota knowledgeable is this: If you were shopping for a late model (let's say 2019 and later) Tacoma, would you consider a manual transmission for duty that included towing?

Reasons I like manual transmissions: More control, more enjoyable for me to drive, and less likely to crap out without warning (which has happened to me twice in automatic transmission vehicles. Granted, the vehicle in question was a high-mileage Suburban with the notoriously garbage 4L60 transmission, but it's something that always worries me.)

My biggest concerns WRT a manual on a Tacoma are: (1) Aren't most manual transmission trucks pretty basic and lacking in options? Understand, I don't need leather seats (I actually don't LIKE leather seats, prefer cloth) and I don't need dual-zone AC or a super-duper sound system. But things like heated seats would be nice as would navigation (not that I'm opposed to using a separate GPS.) My current F-150 is pretty loaded (heated seats, navigation, locking rear differential, etc.) It wouldn't be the end of the world to go back to a more basic vehicle but it'd be nice to still have some "luxuries." I'd also love a locking rear differential but IIRC this was only offered in the TRD package - is that true? And was there such thing as a manual TRD?

A bigger concern is whether a MT truck would have the necessary towing "stuff" to pull a trailer. AFAIK the "tow package" that most vehicles come with includes the Class 3 or 4 receiver, 7 pin connector with the ability to add a trailer brake control (my F-150 has the built in trailer brake controller but I don't think this is even an option on the Tacoma) and sometimes a bigger radiator with a different fan for better cooling. Does anyone know if the "tow package" was even offered with the manual transmission?

Anecdotally, I've heard people say the 6 speed manual in the Tacoma was disappointing in terms of performance and pretty much on-par with the automatic in terms of fuel economy.

To add specifics, the vehicle I'd be looking for would be a 4 door (crew cab) short bed with the V6 and 4x4 of course.

Thanks in advance!

MotoDave

Explorer
I think a big limitation will be what options you can actually find in a manual equipped Tacoma. Even the dealers don't seem to be able to pick and choose their specific options combinations. Of the small QTY Toyota builds that are manual I wouldn't be surprised if they're pretty high spec.

Looking through the spec sheet (LINK) you can get the manual with the TRD Off-Road and TRD Pro trims.

The tow rating is the same (6400 lb) for the A/T and M/T 4x4 tacoma double cabs.

I think the rated MPG different is due to the manual getting a 4:30 differential ratio vs a 3.9 in the AT. I bet the real world difference won't be significant, on paper its 17/21 for MT and 18/22 for AT.

I think you have to get the leather seats to get seat heaters, bummer.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So I went onto a car search web site and was pleasantly surprised at the number of MT Tacomas that were available (although I had to make sure I searched photos - more than a few of the vehicles that were listed as "manual transmission" clearly had automatics. I'm assuming that whoever put the ad up just looked at the console shifter and "assumed" it was a manual when it was not.)

I have a couple of advantages in terms of searching for a vehicle: First off, I'm not in a hurry and second, I'm more than willing to fly-and-buy (that's how I got my current F-150.)
Prices also weren't as high as I was afraid they would be, so that's good too.

The more I think about it the more excited I am about the possibility of getting back into a MT vehicle. I've always liked shifting my own gears and not having to obsess/worry about transmission temps would be nice.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I think a big limitation will be what options you can actually find in a manual equipped Tacoma. Even the dealers don't seem to be able to pick and choose their specific options combinations. Of the small QTY Toyota builds that are manual I wouldn't be surprised if they're pretty high spec.

Looking through the spec sheet (LINK) you can get the manual with the TRD Off-Road and TRD Pro trims.

The tow rating is the same (6400 lb) for the A/T and M/T 4x4 tacoma double cabs.

I think the rated MPG different is due to the manual getting a 4:30 differential ratio vs a 3.9 in the AT. I bet the real world difference won't be significant, on paper its 17/21 for MT and 18/22 for AT.

I think you have to get the leather seats to get seat heaters, bummer.
6,400 lbs hey?
I think in the other thread, OP mentioned a 4,000 lbs trailer. Not sure if that's dry or loaded for travel. Even loaded, with a couple people in the cab and if bringing anything like Kayaks or bicycles it might be in the upper limit and not make for a fun towing experience. Especially if towing at altitude with a NA 3.5. (Assuming we aren't talking about 2024's.... are we?)

jaxyaks

Adventurer
The only thing I would caution you about is the weight of your trailer and living in the Colorado mountains. It will do it, but you will feel like you are wringing the trucks neck all the time (even not towing on a steep pass) The 3.5 makes its torque high up in the rev range and it sounds like your going to blow it up pulling up a steep grade. (you won't) Thats the only complaint I have with the 3rd Gen Tacoma.

I think all the V6 3rd gens come with the tow package automatically from the factory so there shouldn't be too much guessing there.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Maybe the 24 would be the one to look at. I didn't see if the 8,209 lbs tow rating was for both manual and autos? But thinking the turbo 4 would handle the altitude better regardless if towing or not...

The 2024 Toyota Tacoma has a max towing capacity of 6,500 lbs on the SRSR5 i-FORCE and TRD PreRunner XtraCab models. However, the TRD Off-Road model increases that towing capacity to 8,209 lbs.

This truck’s towing ability will see some improvements with support features like a trailer brake controller, trailer backup guide, and digital display mirror. The new Tacoma comes with Trailer Back Up Guidance to assist the driver’s path while controlling the movement of a trailer. The Straight Path Assist is also available to help back up your truck and trailer in a straight line.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I would say unless your packing very light and towing a pop up the OLD like what 15yr old Tacoma would be a massive step backwards coming from a F150.

If your set on mid sized at least wait on the all new rigs and go look at those. The 2.7 gm, the 2.3 /2.7 Ford or the new 2.4L Toyota power plants all are decades better than the ancient 3.5 in the 15yr old Taco.

All those choices are better than the old gen Tacoma by a long way especially if your dragging something.

The new Toyota gets an 8spd auto which is a massive disappointment hell Nissan runs 9spds😆. I think Toyota has said they will offer a manual in it.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
6,400 lbs hey?
I think in the other thread, OP mentioned a 4,000 lbs trailer. Not sure if that's dry or loaded for travel. Even loaded, with a couple people in the cab and if bringing anything like Kayaks or bicycles it might be in the upper limit and not make for a fun towing experience. Especially if towing at altitude with a NA 3.5. (Assuming we aren't talking about 2024's.... are we?)

The trailer is 2750 empty, per the manufacturer. I haven't weighed it but the 4000lb figure is my seat-of-the-pants estimate of a fully loaded trailer with 36 gallons of water onboard.

I hadn't considered the NA aspect of it yet, since I've been in the turbocharged F-150 for the last 4 years. That might favor the Ranger although the tiny fuel tank would be crazy annoying to me, particularly since I'm used to the 36 gallon tank on the F-150.

Of course one advantage of a pickup over an SUV is that throwing a 5 gallon gas can in the back isn't as much of an issue.
I would say unless your packing very light and towing a pop up the OLD like what 15yr old Tacoma would be a massive step backwards coming from a F150.

If your set on mid sized at least wait on the all new rigs and go look at those. The 2.7 gm, the 2.3 /2.7 Ford or the new 2.4L Toyota power plants all are decades better than the ancient 3.5 in the 15yr old Taco.

All those choices are better than the old gen Tacoma by a long way especially if your dragging something.

The new Toyota gets an 8spd auto which is a massive disappointment hell Nissan runs 9spds😆. I think Toyota has said they will offer a manual in it.

The 3rd gen Tacoma is not even 10 years old. Not sure where you're getting 15 years from. Are you confusing the 2nd gen (2005 - 2015) with the 3rd gen? The 2nd gens had the 4.0 V6, 3rd gens got the 3.5.

1st year of the 3rd gen was 2016 which makes it contemporaneous with my 13th gen F-150 (introduced in 2015.)

Besides that, I'd argue that traditionally Toyota has always been pretty much the polar opposite of "cutting edge." Toyota has always been the brand of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I think that's one reason they're so popular.

As far as waiting for something new, I never - EVER - buy the first year of anything. I'd rather let someone else be the beta tester.

In any case, I need to test drive some trucks to see how I like them.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The trailer is 2750 empty, per the manufacturer. I haven't weighed it but the 4000lb figure is my seat-of-the-pants estimate of a fully loaded trailer with 36 gallons of water onboard.

I hadn't considered the NA aspect of it yet, since I've been in the turbocharged F-150 for the last 4 years. That might favor the Ranger although the tiny fuel tank would be crazy annoying to me, particularly since I'm used to the 36 gallon tank on the F-150.

Of course one advantage of a pickup over an SUV is that throwing a 5 gallon gas can in the back isn't as much of an issue.

The 3rd gen Tacoma is not even 10 years old. Not sure where you're getting 15 years from. Are you confusing the 2nd gen (2005 - 2015) with the 3rd gen? The 2nd gens had the 4.0 V6, 3rd gens got the 3.5.

1st year of the 3rd gen was 2016 which makes it contemporaneous with my 13th gen F-150 (introduced in 2015.)

Besides that, I'd argue that traditionally Toyota has always been pretty much the polar opposite of "cutting edge." Toyota has always been the brand of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I think that's one reason they're so popular.

As far as waiting for something new, I never - EVER - buy the first year of anything. I'd rather let someone else be the beta tester.

The 2023 -2016 Tacoma is the same vehicle with very minimal changes. Toyota does that because people still pay over msrp for old dated stuff. Vs Ford can only put lipstick on old junk for so long before even fleet sales dive. The edge is the current old as dirt junk still being built. No amount of tech add ons and bolt on junk can hide an old
Platform.

The Colorado is
New this past yr, definitely getting some bugs worked out but it’s definitely an interesting package looks good too. The gm 2.7 is a great engine. The new Ranger is looking more like a major platform upgrade over the modified Australian frame (to meet. US crash specs) The running gear is all existing off the shelf stuff tho rumor of the 2.7 being in the Ranger is definitely interesting. The new frame might solve the tiny fuel tank issue at least one could hope.

27yrs of Toyotas here I find the new turbo platforms interesting badly needed, but my entire region is impossible to buy any Toyota products for msrp even used units are listed over new msrp. The auto groups have completely monopolized the inventory even used they buy em up to pull lower cost vehicles off the market. I quit that game. 5 Ford dealers near me are all locally owned by different owners and compete for customers in both sales and service far superior customer experience.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Biggest issue with the manual for towing is reverse... it's too high and coupled with the lack of low end torque it's a major challenge. I had trouble backing one up a curb let alone a heavy trailer...

The new turbo will likely be better.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

Maybe years ago. But stuff is tested so much now before being released I wouldn't worry about it.
My last truck was a '15 F150, no issues with that 1st year. Our '14 Cherokee was fine as well. Another 1st year.

Our 2011 Tucson was 1st year as well. That little thing has been the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned.
It's been in our family 10 years now. Passed it down to our daughter last year, has about 160,000 miles on it now and the only thing out of normal maintenance it's needed was a new catalytic converter cause meth heads.

Current truck is a 2022. Current F150 came out in 2021. Based on what I read on the F150 forum I'm on, there seems to be more issues with the 2022's.... Axle bolts shearing off, Speakers popping... Each year manufactures upgrade vehicles to stay competitive, so it's possible it could be this new option that causes grief where the previous year was fine. It's all a crapshoot.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I think going from a 3.5 eco boost to a 3.5 Toyota minivan engine(high revving)would be a massive disappointment for towing at altitude. I can tell my 6.0 Chevy has less towing power at altitude. I don’t think I ever noticed a loss of power with my Ranger.

phsycle

Adventurer
I had a manual 3rd Gen for a while. It was a good truck but three issues already mentioned:

1) Anemic Payload
2) Tall Reverse gearing
3) Midsize platform

I’d never want to tow a 4K trailer with it, especially at elevation.

Stick to your F150.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
…Based on what I read on the F150 forum I'm on, there seems to be more issues with the 2022's.... Axle bolts shearing off, Speakers popping…

Speaking of busted bolts…here’s a picture of the same from a recent news story (IIRC, the tire came off, bounced thru the windshield of a trailing rig, killing a person inside it).

IMG_3587.jpeg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Speaking of busted bolts…here’s a picture of the same from a recent news story (IIRC, the tire came off, bounced thru the windshield of a trailing rig, killing a person inside it).

View attachment 796782
Typically caused by under torqued nuts. Subaru had a rash of this till a customer pointed out Subaru had two torque numbers listed in their vehicle data. One was a typo and definitely too low. That was delt with and strangely the busted lug issues went away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior