3rd gen Tacoma research...

FNGfromLA

The wife and I are currently researching the pros and cons of the new Tacoma vs other "trucks". I really like the Tacoma, and have always wanted one but never took the leap. We just got rid of her Montero Limited and are already jonesin' for the 4x4 feeling. We have driven the GMC/Chevy midsize and it's not for us to put it mildly. We drove the Tacoma and loved it, and we drove the Wrangler and loved it too. The wife likes the utilitarian feel of the jeep along with the top off features. Plus, I can't fault her that the jeep is just plain ol' fun. It's by far her favorite of the two... I just can't kick the Tacoma bug. It's going to be hard to convince her that the Tacoma is the better choice. Only real Mods I want to mess with would be a winch, MAYBE a RTT. This is why I am looking at the higher end versions with the off road tools rather than a basic platform to build on.

After the massive Aug 2016 flooding we had here in Baton Rouge, we are looking for a vehicle that can ford a decent amount of water without any real modifications. Basically we are looking for a great bugout truck. Something that can get us out of dodge when the time comes, but will be fun and functional for our everyday life.

Can the a TRD Off Road or maybe a TRD Pro Tacoma really contend with a 4 door Rubicon? My wife does not really believe so. She is of the mindset that the Jeep is the end all be all of regular guy bugout vehicles. Please help a brother out here!!! :truck:

MightyP

Observer
So... Before we go too far, who's going to be driving it? We can provide charts, expert testimony and video evidence that the Tacoma is better in every way, but if it's going to be hers... You're probably better off letting her get the Jeep.

The reality is, though, they each have their advantages and disadvantages. Asking whether a Taco can "contend" with a Rubicon is asking for opinions in a Toyota section. You know what you're going to get. As the same question in the Jeep section and you'll get very different answers.

Here's my 2 cents on them.

Rubicon:
- Better off-road out of the box. It takes some work to make IFS as capable as a solid front axle. But I mean actual off-roading, not the kind of places we usually go as an overland community. If you want to go slowly over large rocks or through big mud holes, the Jeep will be better stock.
- It's a convertible you can take camping. Let's face it, that's ************.
- If you flood the interior, it's easy to drain
- Look at the number of Rubicons at off-road parks vs anything else. There's a reason 1/2 the vehicles are Rubicons and the other half is made up of everything else.

Tacoma:
- I would take a Toyota 10 times out of 10 to bug out. If you're truly bugging out, you're going to be using paved roads, dirt roads and some trails (maybe). You might have to go through mud, sand, water or snow, but nothing that would phase a Tacoma.
- It's insanely reliable. I don't know of a single Jeep owner who can honestly say that. And the most capable vehicle is useless if it doesn't start.
- If you're bugging out (or even just camping) the extra cargo space of a pickup is going to be handy over the rather sad trunk of a Jeep.
- Overlanding is basically bugging out without an emergency. Look at the number of Jeeps vs Toyotas that overland. There's a reason 3/4 of the vehicles are Toyotas.

I have a nearly stock 4runner and the only issue I've really ever run into was ground clearance. I wish I had more ground clearance.

FNGfromLA

This is why I posted in the Toyota section. It will in fact be my truck, but because of my job she will be driving it more than I do in the beginning at least.

I see this as an overlanding vehicle more than an off-road beast. If you think of it as this, would a TRD Pro be overkill?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
This is why I posted in the Toyota section. It will in fact be my truck, but because of my job she will be driving it more than I do in the beginning at least.

I see this as an overlanding vehicle more than an off-road beast. If you think of it as this, would a TRD Pro be overkill?

A pro is going to cost 44 to 45k. I'd get a TRD offroad instead for 35k.

ToyotaRoamer86

Adventurer
You can get a sport with fogs and then just build from there for around 35k and be build how you like. bumpers, arb locker front/rear.. topper and baja rack or use the bed for dirtbikes/play toys.

FNGfromLA

How does building a sport up effect warranty work? Not that there should be much effect because the chances of having to use the warranty are pretty slim. Just something for me to consider when I make the decision.

FredSB

Did you know that the jeep wrangle is coming out with a truck bed version for 2017. I am in similar situation. I have test road all mid size trucks Tacoma, Colorado, Frontire,even the 2017 Honda Ridgeline. I have always loved the toyotas but always drove Chevys. The Toyota that I really like is the 2016 Trd sport double cab with upgraded package. In metallic grey. The moon roof dosent Interfer with my 6'1" height. Was very impressed with the overall drive and feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FredSB

I want a new truck to pull a off road teardrop. Off grid trailers.ca The wife and I plan to travel around Canada and U.S. And we need a good hearty reliable truck first.

bijanjames

Adventurer
A quad cab pickup is an extremely practical platform for overlanding. The Achilles heal of a jeep is space, other than that they are incredible at what they do, and now they are reliable to boot. The fact of the matter though is, once you own a truck you can't go back.

Dalko43

Explorer
The wife and I are currently researching the pros and cons of the new Tacoma vs other "trucks". I really like the Tacoma, and have always wanted one but never took the leap. We just got rid of her Montero Limited and are already jonesin' for the 4x4 feeling. We have driven the GMC/Chevy midsize and it's not for us to put it mildly. We drove the Tacoma and loved it, and we drove the Wrangler and loved it too. The wife likes the utilitarian feel of the jeep along with the top off features. Plus, I can't fault her that the jeep is just plain ol' fun. It's by far her favorite of the two... I just can't kick the Tacoma bug. It's going to be hard to convince her that the Tacoma is the better choice. Only real Mods I want to mess with would be a winch, MAYBE a RTT. This is why I am looking at the higher end versions with the off road tools rather than a basic platform to build on.

After the massive Aug 2016 flooding we had here in Baton Rouge, we are looking for a vehicle that can ford a decent amount of water without any real modifications. Basically we are looking for a great bugout truck. Something that can get us out of dodge when the time comes, but will be fun and functional for our everyday life.

Can the a TRD Off Road or maybe a TRD Pro Tacoma really contend with a 4 door Rubicon? My wife does not really believe so. She is of the mindset that the Jeep is the end all be all of regular guy bugout vehicles. Please help a brother out here!!! :truck:

The quick answer is:

Jeep has 2 solid axles, removable doors, fully boxed frame; on the whole, it is a lot better, stock or modified, for the technical rock-crawling and offroading.

Tacoma has a pickup bed, independent front suspension, slightly better towing capabilities.

Tacoma is still very capable offroad, especially when you start to modify its suspension, but the Jeep has the edge for pure offroad performance. That said, if you want something that can be very good a wide spectrum of activities, but an expert at none, the Tacoma is your best bet.

FNGfromLA

Do Tacoma folks blow as much cash on mods and stuff as Jeep people do? I can not tell you how much I have seen people spend on crap for a Jeep.... Dude replaced his tires multiple times in 6 months and probably 3 lift kits.... Fenders like 3-4 times in a year or so. I just do not understand the reasoning behind it... Dude posted a before and after and it looked almost identical to me. I am not trying to put him on blast, but it's crazy. And it seemed everyone else was cheering him on telling him it looked better and seriously, I could hardly see a change.

FredSB

Took the 2016 Colorado with v6 and 4x4. And Tacoma of similar set up out for a test ride back to back on the weekend. I have decided on the Tacoma. Responsiveness, acceleration, and overall feel the taco won. The biggest let down was even though the Colorado had more horse it had a squishy unresponsive feel. Total let down. So now on to checking out dealerships

Dalko43

Explorer
Took the 2016 Colorado with v6 and 4x4. And Tacoma of similar set up out for a test ride back to back on the weekend. I have decided on the Tacoma. Responsiveness, acceleration, and overall feel the taco won. The biggest let down was even though the Colorado had more horse it had a squishy unresponsive feel. Total let down. So now on to checking out dealerships

The Colorado's V6 gasser isn't really known for being a torquey engine. Go test-drive the 2.8L turbo diesel...plenty of torque.

If I were even considering a Colorado, I'd bypass the V6 and look at the diesel. The MSRP's for those are starting to come down a bit too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears