3rd Gen Toyota Pickup - Budget Expo Build

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I've never driven a 22RE, how powerless are they??

It's all relative. In 1985, the Toyota truck with the 22RE had best-in-class power. Although the 116 hp is a little anemic, the 140 lb-ft of torque is pretty decent. Remember, these designs were from the days of 55 mph highway speed limits (I miss those days). Around this time, the Ford 302 in the full-sizers only made 150 hp. 0-60 in ~15 seconds was the norm.

After driving an early VW bus with 37 hp, the 22RE is an absolute powerhouse!

I think the 22RE trucks had about the right amount of power---everything else these days just has too much! How are you supposed to see anything if you go up mountain passes at 75 mph?

RedSR

It's all relative. In 1985, the Toyota truck with the 22RE had best-in-class power. Although the 116 hp is a little anemic, the 140 lb-ft of torque is pretty decent. Remember, these designs were from the days of 55 mph highway speed limits (I miss those days). Around this time, the Ford 302 in the full-sizers only made 150 hp. 0-60 in ~15 seconds was the norm. *

After driving an early VW bus with 37 hp, the 22RE is an absolute powerhouse!

I think the 22RE trucks had about the right amount of power---everything else these days just has too much! How are you supposed to see anything if you go up mountain passes at 75 mph? **

*Also remember where oil prices were in the late 70s and early 80s too -- though inefficient by today's tech, these Yota engines were MUCH more fuel efficient than those being made in the US and still got the job done, in what was an era of historically high oil prices.
figure1_e.png

But then we've also had historically high oil prices for the past decade as well:
oilprice1970.gif

** IMO, 22RE's power was good enough for the single cab pickups running stock tires, but the second you add an extended cab, bigger tires, or the 4 runner body, you're glad you have that extra 20% of power the 3vze provides... Hence the new performance head and cam, new exhaust, presumably gearing, and other upgrades Rich is doing on his rig that should close at least 1/2 half the power distance between the 22RE and 3VZE.

Sorry for the tangent...

Last edited:
J

JWP58

If you don't mind me asking, how much is the 22RE rebuild going to run you? Also, how long can these 22RE's go before a rebuild?

RedSR

With good oil, a maintained cooling system, and moderate driving, 22REs should be able to go at least 300k between complete rebuilds like Rich is doing.

Timing chains are good to replace every 100k or so. If you do it with your 120k maintenance (60k schedule), so your other belt(s), water pump, oil pump, thermostat, spark plugs, dist cap and rotor, drivetrain fluid replace, valve adjust, new radiator, etc, you should be able to get out the door for ~$1200 at any independent Toyota mechanic. Timing chain alone should run ~$500-$750. At the dealer, double both prices.

Important to remember that 22REs are interference engines, so if the timing chain breaks, you're SOL.

More on timing chains: http://www.brian894x4.com/timingchain.html

And you can buy more reliable dual chain conversions too that allow you to extend chain intervals/add add'l reliability: http://www.lceperformance.com/22R-RE-LCE-Dual-Row-Timing-Chain-Conversion-Kit-p/1015012.htm

Edit: Just to note, intervals above are in miles, not kilometers. 1 mi = 1.61 km, 1 km = 0.62 mi

Last edited:

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
If you don't mind me asking, how much is the 22RE rebuild going to run you? Also, how long can these 22RE's go before a rebuild?

The engine in the truck has 320,000km on it and seems to run fairly strong, but there were a few reasons I decided go for a rebuild. I really don't expect that I'll drive this thing another 300,000km so I'm hoping that this will be the last 22RE I drop in.

#1 At the very least I was going to replace the timing chain, water pump, etc anyway. Like RedSR said, if I'm in for $1200 already why not dig a little deeper while we're at it?
#2 The TPS wasn't calibrated, timing was way off, and the thing was pinging pretty badly when I first got my hands on it. I have no idea how long it has been detonating so that made me a little nervous as to the internal damaged caused.
#3 Disturbed Industries will have an engine ready for me to pick up for $2500. Every engine I priced out from a remanufacturing facility was just over $2000. As far as I'm concerned it was well worth the investment for the piece of mind and reliability.
#4 If the original engine destroyed itself in the middle of nowhere my wife would punch me in the throat. I'm doing my best to avoid that.

Last edited:

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
OME Suspension Install

Old Man Emu Suspension Install

Before:
9406797984_c673d3b99f_c.jpg

1x 303003 - Torsion Bar Hilux/4Runner Pair
2x N98 - IFS 4Runner Front Shock
2x CS020R - Hilux/4Runner Heavy Duty Dakar Rear Spring
2x 60062 - Sport Shock Hilux/4Runner
2x OMESB43 - Bushing Kits
4x OMEU53B - U-Bolts
1x 181469 - OME Sleeve Kit
1x 5" Trail Gear Greasable Shackle Kit
These parts have been marinating in our condo awaiting installation for the last 4+ weeks and we finally had a chance to install them.

9404032019_8e641e8df9_c.jpg

The installation is straightforward but if you're a little guy like me working on an old truck you'll be using lots of penetrating fluid, some really long breaker bars and an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to ditch most of the old suspension.

9404003065_f71bfb6335_c.jpg

I should have asked for help to make this go a little faster, but I didn't. It took me about a day and a half once the dust settled. This included picking up extra bolts I broke along the way (torsion bar adjuster, front leaf spring hangers). Do yourself a favour and buy ALL brand new hardware before you start.

9406769664_a3f34d32e1_c.jpg

I started with the rear and removed the shocks, springs, and also the LSPV rod while I was under there. I'm going to need as much rear bias as possible so the LSPV is adjusted to provide that. (Don't let Richard near your truck with an angle grinder that has a zip disc attached, you'll end up with a pile of "extra" parts when he's done). The hardest part of removing the old suspension was getting the old leaf springs out (and it's not THAT difficult). They're not the lightest things in the world and the rear shackles/bushings have had 320,000km to bond together. I used a couple of old drill bits to drill out the rubber bushings at the shackles. The front bolts required the trusty zip disc once again.

Installation was straightforward and opposite of removal. It's significantly easier with new parts!

9404015937_ba3e025300_c.jpg

Now for the front! Brenton from Ruined Adventures said that the torsion bar replacement was easy and he was right. Just follow the Toyota FSM instructions and you'll be done in a couple of hours.

9404024277_34b228caac_c.jpg

9406754682_da8bba7b2f_c.jpg

So as it sits now, the truck looks like a jacked up Duster from the 70's. This is what 1.5" longer shackles combined with OME HD Dakar leaf springs looks like. There is actually less weight than stock right now (no spare tire, no bumper, no gas) so the 6" lift over stock is expected. Once we start loading the truck up and the springs settle we'll see how much it drops. I expect it'll level out nicely. For now the front is at the same height as it was originally.

9403982053_762db5ea8b_c.jpg

I also bolted on some Hella Rallye 4000 lights. The wiring harness is still in the mail...

9403958215_82a3176529_c.jpg

9406732266_02c45bb547_c.jpg

New stereo got installed... (New Alpine CD/MP3/iPod receiver and a couple of Type E 6x9s for about $150! Couldn't justify spending more than that!)

9406750088_76d4d540fc_c.jpg

I bolted in the new to me SR5 4Runner seats. The ACC carpet kit just showed up on my doorstep...

9403965671_4e7c3a97ae_c.jpg

And was reminded why we're dropping a fresh 22RE into this thing... just a few kms. I picked up a set of AutoGage gauges (water temp, oil press, volts) and a tach as the stock gauges and idiot lights leave something to be desired.

9406744592_ca4916eeb5_c.jpg

J

JWP58

Very nice. Did you order that head unit? If so, where? I've been looking for that exact on for my T100 and cant find it.

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Very nice. Did you order that head unit? If so, where? I've been looking for that exact on for my T100 and cant find it.

Yeah, ordered it through Visions.ca (it was on sale for $89 I believe) but I think it was on Crutchfield.com as well.

J

JWP58

Are you planning on running a topper shell? Or a RTT w/rack? Or one of those fancy slide in campers? (sorry if you've already stated it)

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Are you planning on running a topper shell? Or a RTT w/rack? Or one of those fancy slide in campers? (sorry if you've already stated it)

I'm planning on a fiberglass canopy and RTT with rack. A slide in camper or Flippac would be awesome, but not in our budget this time...

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
awesome build. Huge fan of this generation of trucks. Someday...

All you have to do is find somebody who's getting rid of it and doesn't know what they've got. A guy from work just sold one for $300 (200k,3.0L/5 speed) because he bought a new Frontier and didn't want to deal with his "beater" any longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman