3rd or 4th gen 4Runner non-daily toy

Marcoc

Observer
Ok looking at 3rd and 4th gen 4runners. Not going to be daily driven, mostly weekend toy/trail/camping rig. I am able to turn wrenches and install a lift and complete basic maintenance but not really experienced at say an engine swap for example. I have kids so time is somewhat precious, I dont want to live fixing the thing. looking at about a $10,000 budget. This budget includes the vehicle and basic mods. My plan- OME 3" lift, light racing upper control arms, 255/85/16 mud terrains on aftermarket rims hopefully, hoping for ARB front bumper but willing to go cheaper if need be, 8k winch, sliders, maybe rear bumper if cash left over, CB radio, and complete and maintenance required. I had a 2nd gen Tacoma that I now have regrets selling and want a rig with back seats and cargo space for off road supplies/tools/camping gear. Trail use would up in the north east so rocks, mud, and LOTS of trees. I am not one to beat on my vehicles so although I would use it on trails on a scale of 1 to 10 for trail difficulty I would say 3 to 5. I like overland style trips but I will also do just trails with no camping. The rig should also look good driving down the road or my wife wont ride in it and safe enough for small kids. Also should mention looking at Jeep Cherokees (XJ).

Marcoc

Observer
_DSC2774.JPG old truck at Raush Creek OR park
20141025_135316.jpg At Mt. Washington, first Overland trip
PIC_0186.JPG Raush again

Last edited:

Marcoc

Observer
Yea I have been noticing many 4th gens are over 8 grand. I have been finding quite a few 3rd gens even on autotrader for around $6 or 7 grand. Only thing I'm worried about is due to age many 3rd gens will be beat up

98WhiteT4R

Adventurer
The only 4th gens under 10k will be 03-05 more then likely because most want the 06+, you could get a 3rd gen with around 150k miles for about 6-7 which would have lots of life left and leave some mod money.

djtc

Adventurer
Ive had both and the 4th gen is superior for travelling/overlanding .The 3rd gen has higher ground clearance going for it but thats about the only advantage. The 4th gen is reliable,has longer range,more power,comfortable and really capable. The larger size is also great if you plan to sleep in it as I do on my platform. Your planned set up will be perfect for your objectives.

However, you can get more for your dollar with the 3rd gen.

Dalko43

Explorer
Agreed with what 98WhiteT4R said. For a $10k budget, a 3rd gen will make a lot more sense than a 4th gen.

That said, excluding the cost of purchase, the 4th gen seems to offer a lot more starting advantages, including mpg and power/engine options. Optional V8, which a lot of owners have commented on its reliability and good torque. Even the base 4.0L V6 is no slouch, with somewhere around 270 lb-ft.

I would think that the 4th gen would also be better for daily/commuter usage too since its a newer design and likely been on the road for less than a 3rd gen.

98WhiteT4R

Adventurer
If you're also looking at XJ's your money would go twice as far then with any Toyota. For 10k you could build a COMPLETELY decked out XJ and have money leftover for gas and beer.

mbrewer

mbrewer
You might check out the recent XJ vs. 4-runnre threads on both the Jeep and the toyota sides. I agree with 98WhiteT4R...
djt says the 4'th gens are better in a lot of ways (comfort, power, range) which may or may not matter to you. To me, size and ease of repair are high on my priority list, so the older models look pretty damn good - even excluding cost. I recently went with a 2000 tacoma for these reasons. So, that's your tradeoff. I have cable throttle which I'm really happy about, no traction control to complicate things, no tire inflation sensors to deal with, barely adjustable manual mirrors, etc. Sadly I do have ABS and power windows, but it was worth it to get the locker.
Simple and old can be good, simple and old can be bad... depends on what you are after. One thing is for sure though, it's hard to go wrong with a 3'rd gen.

Marcoc

Observer
More than likely I am leaning to the 3rd gen 4Runner over the 4th gen and XJ. Only concern is many have over 150k miles and many are a bit beat up. I'm not looking for a garage queen but I do want it somewhat clean. I do find a lot of XJ's in great shape.

Marcoc

Observer
Also should I be concerned about a 4Runner with 180-200k miles? I wont be driving it daily, just going to be my weekend off road adventure toy.

98WhiteT4R

Adventurer
I wouldn't be too concerned as long as the maintenance is up to date, AND you go in the mindset that like any vehicle with high miles things can and will need fixing. However, since its not a daily drive I think you'll be more then fine. FWIW I bought my 3rd gen with 169k miles and I'm at 220k now, its a DD and I wheel a few times a month.

owyheerat

Adventurer
I'll chime in with my experience. I was in a similar situation a couple years ago. This may be slightly biased because I am a Toyota fan and have owned several, but not to the point where I won't own anything else. In fact my daily driver (pickup) is a 2013 GMC sierra 1500.
I found a good deal on a bone stock base model 99 4runner 2.7l, 5spd with 197k, that was a one owner and well cared for. I did a complete tune-up and replaced all the fluids. Everything on it still worked, including the clock, power mirrors, power antenna and rear window. I was suprised with how tight it felt for a 14 year old vehicle with almost 200k on it. No rattles and you could let go of the steering wheel at hwy speeds (not adviced) and it would track straight. I would get 23-24 MPH hwy and 18+ in town. I drove it this way for about a year, before the mod bug hit.
4runner.jpg
Then about 6 months later, a neighbor was selling his 99 Jeep Cherokee Classic for a price I couldn't refuse. It also was bone stock, one owner and well maintained and only had 86k :Wow1:. It had more power (4.0l and auto), the desirable rear end and transfer case (sorry I don't remember #'s), and everything worked. It was fun to drive, felt very capable offroad (even with the small stock wheels and tires), and had a much tighter turning radius than the 4runner. The fit and finish was a step or 2 below the 4runner. Everything felt cheaper, ie: door handles, turn signal and windshield wiper lever, climate control knobs, etc. It also had a decent leak from the oil pan or rear main (i'm not sure which), that would leave a quarter size spot in the driveway after every drive. It rattled terribly (I don't like rattles), and I never could find and fix them. I kept the Jeep for 6 months, then sold it, to the first person that responded to ad for a nice profit.
Jeep.jpg
I still have the 4runner. It now has 212k on it, and I have spent more than the cost of the vehicle on mod's.
DSCF1083.jpg
I think she has many more miles left in her. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 3rd gen 4runner with 160k+ miles, if it has been well maintained and cared for. These trucks have a well earned reputation of lasting a long time.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and I hope my post is somewhat helpful.

Durwin

Marcoc

Observer
I'll chime in with my experience. I was in a similar situation a couple years ago. This may be slightly biased because I am a Toyota fan and have owned several, but not to the point where I won't own anything else. In fact my daily driver (pickup) is a 2013 GMC sierra 1500.
I found a good deal on a bone stock base model 99 4runner 2.7l, 5spd with 197k, that was a one owner and well cared for. I did a complete tune-up and replaced all the fluids. Everything on it still worked, including the clock, power mirrors, power antenna and rear window. I was suprised with how tight it felt for a 14 year old vehicle with almost 200k on it. No rattles and you could let go of the steering wheel at hwy speeds (not adviced) and it would track straight. I would get 23-24 MPH hwy and 18+ in town. I drove it this way for about a year, before the mod bug hit.
View attachment 327242
Then about 6 months later, a neighbor was selling his 99 Jeep Cherokee Classic for a price I couldn't refuse. It also was bone stock, one owner and well maintained and only had 86k :Wow1:. It had more power (4.0l and auto), the desirable rear end and transfer case (sorry I don't remember #'s), and everything worked. It was fun to drive, felt very capable offroad (even with the small stock wheels and tires), and had a much tighter turning radius than the 4runner. The fit and finish was a step or 2 below the 4runner. Everything felt cheaper, ie: door handles, turn signal and windshield wiper lever, climate control knobs, etc. It also had a decent leak from the oil pan or rear main (i'm not sure which), that would leave a quarter size spot in the driveway after every drive. It rattled terribly (I don't like rattles), and I never could find and fix them. I kept the Jeep for 6 months, then sold it, to the first person that responded to ad for a nice profit.
View attachment 327245
I still have the 4runner. It now has 212k on it, and I have spent more than the cost of the vehicle on mod's.
View attachment 327246
I think she has many more miles left in her. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 3rd gen 4runner with 160k+ miles, if it has been well maintained and cared for. These trucks have a well earned reputation of lasting a long time.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and I hope my post is somewhat helpful.

Durwin

Thanks for the little comparo. My decision so far has been leaning towards the 3rd gen 4Runner. The Jeep is very capable but I'm worried about it falling apart. I know the drivetrain will be pretty solid but its everything else that worries me(jeep). Many people are saying the build quality of the 4runner is top notch and I would agree since I had a 2nd gen Tacoma. I have found a good selection of 4runners on craigslist etc. and I'm trying to keep it under 150k miles. I would probably only put about 5-6k miles a year on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78