4.636 gears from an LS into a gen 2.5 with locker?

Justice R

Adventurer
Get the front from the LS, and the rear locked from the sr. The fronts are the same.

1999 Montero. Locked.

An LS with the 3.0 engine will have a smaller diff in both the front and rear. Not a suitable donor for the 99. Get all parts from a 3.5 equipped SR (94-96) 92-93's all had smaller diffs in the front as well except the manual transmission which is rare to see.

nckwltn

Explorer
An LS with the 3.0 engine will have a smaller diff in both the front and rear. Not a suitable donor for the 99. Get all parts from a 3.5 equipped SR (94-96) 92-93's all had smaller diffs in the front as well except the manual transmission which is rare to see.

Good information to know! This LS was a 95. Is there a way to take outside measurements and compare between the diffs so I don't unbolt something to replace with something that won't fit?

Justice R

Adventurer
No need to measure it. Neither the front or rear diff will fit into a 99. You need to be looking at 94-96 SR's if you want the correct size diff with a 4.63 gear ratio. Pretty much the bottom line with these. Mitsu matched diffs with engine size...95 LS's had the 3.0 thus a smaller diff.

nckwltn

Explorer
No need to measure it. Neither the front or rear diff will fit into a 99. You need to be looking at 94-96 SR's if you want the correct size diff with a 4.63 gear ratio. Pretty much the bottom line with these. Mitsu matched diffs with engine size...95 LS's had the 3.0 thus a smaller diff.

:(

are we talking diff housing, gear sizes? should I just trudge back to the junk yard and get the front off of the 94SR and scrap everything about the LS?

Justice R

Adventurer
Smaller housing, smaller ring gear, smaller pinion gear. different splines on stub shafts.

Will it bolt in? yes, if you use the LS's axle's it would work fine, but would be a downgrade in size and strength, and niether the aussie/ lokka or ARB will fit in it.

nckwltn

Explorer
checking out the FSM for the 92-95, the fronts for the 24 valve appear to be the same. The rear is different though between the 3.0 24 valve (LS) and the 3.5 24 valve (SR)

As long as the front has the 4.636 gears, it is looking the same... now the rear, that needs to come from an SR wit the 3.5L engine.

I'm happy to listen to anything that makes this argument sound silly... would rather discuss it now, vs tomorrow after I've started pulling the front diff.

Last edited:

Justice R

Adventurer
Well I guess you can try, let me know how it works out for you.

This has been covered pretty extensively over the years on 4x4wire. You might want to take a look at ARB's fitment chart for the RD110 which is the front IFS locker. It may make sense to you then. Note that the chart you posted does not have row for differential Size like the lower one.

Justice R

Adventurer
Also, measure the drive shaft flange bolts spacing with calipers and compare with the 99 I believe you wil find them to be not the same.

nckwltn

Explorer
Well I guess you can try, let me know how it works out for you.

This has been covered pretty extensively over the years on 4x4wire. You might want to take a look at ARB's fitment chart for the RD110 which is the front IFS locker. It may make sense to you then. Note that the chart you posted does not have row for differential Size like the lower one.

I'll dig around on the wire and the fitment chart.. I did notice that the diff sizes for the front from the FSM didn't have sizes....

Also, measure the drive shaft flange bolts spacing with calipers and compare with the 99 I believe you wil find them to be not the same.

Good idea for a quick sanity check.

Justice R

Adventurer
One cool thing about the smaller LS diffs is you can get 5.29's for them. Kinda sucks the locker wont fit in the front though, so makes the trade off not worth it in most cases.

Smaller housing, smaller ring gear, smaller pinion gear. different splines on stub shafts.

Will it bolt in? yes, if you use the LS's axle's it would work fine, but would be a downgrade in size and strength, and niether the aussie/ lokka or ARB will fit in it.

Oh man. I feel like an idiot for giving the wrong advise here. I totally forgot only the 97 LS had the 3.5. I'm real sorry for steering you in the wrong direction nick. Will the yard you got the LS diff from take an exchange on it for an SR one?

nckwltn

Explorer
Oh man. I feel like an idiot for giving the wrong advise here. I totally forgot only the 97 LS had the 3.5. I'm real sorry for steering you in the wrong direction nick. Will the yard you got the LS diff from take an exchange on it for an SR one?

Justice knows his stuff.... Just went out and measured the ring gear. There isn't even room for anything 8 inches inside the front diff. Ring gear is clearly 7.25"

No worries billygoats, I'll check on a swap, but I'm not holdings breath. Hopefully the SR is still at the yard. Now that I know what to do. It shouldn't be too difficult to rip it out. ... Except the wheel locks are on the wheels. Which means won't be able to get the wheels off.... Will have to see if there is enough room to get to the ball joint crown nuts.

Sent from my iPhone

There were at least 3 sr at the pick your part on Pendleton all had front diffs still as of a couple weeks ago. One even had the motor out for easy access to the front diff.

nckwltn

Explorer
SR front picked!

the kicker is that the only reason I grabbed the diff from the LS was that it was easier.... if the engine was there on that LS, I probably would have just picked the front and rear from the SR the first time around.

anyone want a an LS front diff with 4.636 gears, real cheap!

Anyone think I could take the LS diff in for scrap? I'm also wondering if there is anything I could do in terms of art with the ring gear (a clock perhaps)....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger