4 X 2

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I guess it depends on your goals, but I traded in a perfect '04 Toyota doublecab prerunner for a 4x4.

Getting stuck kinda sucks.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
LIVEABOARD said:
anyone using 4 x 2 pre-runner or is th 4 x 4 only way to go

It all depends. Decide what you want to go see and then decide if you think you will want one later.
I had one for years and saw a lot of baja and other areas. The mountains were always risky with mud and steep hills though. At some point in the rocks or mountains keeping up your speed just isn't possible like in the desert.
8478257-R1-032-14A.jpg

8478257-R1-018-7A.jpg
:roost:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Not a pre-runner but when I was in law school my "expo vehicle" was a 2wd Ford Ranger pickup. It went where I needed it to go but I also knew that anything other than pretty well graded dirt roads would be off limits to me. I just stayed within those limitations and I was fine (I should add that I had an auburn LSD installed shortly after I bought the truck.)

Here's what I would say, though: I have never, ever, heard anybody say "gee, I really wish I'd gotten the 2wd version because this 4wd stuff is totally unneccessary."

OTOH, I've lost count of the number of people who go onto message boards and post "I got a pre-runner because I didn't think I'd need 4wd and now I want to convert it." :rolleyes:

It's a lot cheaper and easier to just get 4wd from the beginning than it is to either try and convert a 2wd to a 4wd, or to sell the 2wd to buy a 4wd. Just something to consider...

EDITED TO ADD: I'll even risk incurring the wrath of the Taco sub-board here by suggesting that if you can't afford a Tacoma 4x4 to look at a domestic small truck. You can usually find a decent 4wd Ranger for about the same price as a decent 2wd Toyota.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Even with wheeling aside, 4WD comes in very handy during crazy snow storms (like we had this year). Just yesterday, one of the canyons here got blasted and cars, semi's were sliding all over the place. If I would've kept it in 2WD, no way I would've made it through.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Martinjmpr said:
I have never, ever, heard anybody say "gee, I really wish I'd gotten the 2wd version because this 4wd stuff is totally unneccessary."

OK, here's one that's close:

My uncle used to do a lot of 'coon hunting. For years he ran a 2wd truck, then be bought a willy's flat fender. He was always cussing the flat fender, saying that with the old truck he "knew better than to get into that mess!"

:) :)

T-hacha-P

Observer
I'm using a pre-runner/offroad as my expedition vehicle. It isn't ideal, but I've never gotten stuck with the rear locker. Since I'm just a poor student and I'm also using it to commute in L.A. [and I assume gas prices are going over $4.00/gal here] I didn't get 4wd and I haven't regretted it yet. However, as my trips get longer and to more remote locations, I may have to reevaluate my decision. Not having 4wd makes me very careful.

Dusty T.

Observer
Martinjmpr said:
Not a pre-runner but when I was in law school my "expo vehicle" was a 2wd Ford Ranger pickup. It went where I needed it to go but I also knew that anything other than pretty well graded dirt roads would be off limits to me. I just stayed within those limitations and I was fine (I should add that I had an auburn LSD installed shortly after I bought the truck.)

EDITED TO ADD: I'll even risk incurring the wrath of the Taco sub-board here by suggesting that if you can't afford a Tacoma 4x4 to look at a domestic small truck. You can usually find a decent 4wd Ranger for about the same price as a decent 2wd Toyota.

I'll second both of those points. Before my '02 Tacoma 4X4, I spent alot of time bumping around in the Mojave Preserve miles from anything in my trusty '91 Ranger 2wd. Many of those trips were done prior to adding the Ford LSD and gearing down to 3.55's. For desert trips anyway, this setup worked very well, and I found ground clearance was my main limitation. It did force me to be very careful when encountering sand and snow.

I'd say if you are going to go 2wd, be sure to have the rear locker. If budget is of concern, check out the early 2000 Ranger FX-4's with a manual transfer case if you should be so lucky to find one. I know and have read of too many folks having problems with the Ford pushbutton/knob 4wd systems not always working. Same goes for Toyota as well.

Best of luck!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Dusty T. said:
I know and have read of too many folks having problems with the Ford pushbutton/knob 4wd systems not always working. Same goes for Toyota as well.

Best of luck!

+1 on this. It's such a common problem that I'm really surprised there isn't an aftermarket kit to convert the T-case to a manual. There is for other makes of vehicles (notably Chevies.)

Buddy of mine had a '99 Ranger 4x4 when we lived in Laramie. He constantly had problems with the T-case not wanting to go into 4wd when it was extremely cold.

So he traded that (leased) Ranger in for another one - and had the same problem!

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
LIVEABOARD said:
anyone using 4 x 2 pre-runner or is th 4 x 4 only way to go

Do you have a 2wd? I say, use what you have. Adding a locker will make a big difference in where you can go. Adding weight to the rear will also help with traction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle