$40 BaoFeng UV-5R Dual-Band Handhelds

sxharr05

Adventurer
I had to manually load a driver, but once I did programming was cake. Used a Repeater Directory app on my Pantech (Android) so I didn't have to keep switching tabs and had 45 programmed in within twenty minutes.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
I got the UV-5R+ because of the metal face. I tend to break stuff... It was ~10 more.

We used it this weekend. First complete ham trip. I won't be using my CB ever again...

RadioMan

The Baofeng UV-5R is definitely a great deal. It's my first handheld ham radio, and honestly, I don't understand why some people talk badly about it. It's tough, inexpensive, and gets the job done.
Some people have had problems programming it manually, however, with some quick practice it isn't very hard. You just have to get used to the menus. Here is some good info: Baofeng UV-5R radios. There is a programming guide, etc. Great little radio!

RobRed

Explorer
I have one. It's not nearly as well constructed as my Yaesu hand helds but for $40 it's expendable. The programming is difficult with out software/cable. There is no external DC port for power or charging (must use the base charger) No instruction manual for operation is included.

sxharr05

Adventurer

That plugs into the base charger. From prior experience, I can say that it is not he best method. Is it doable? Sure, but you've got to secure the base. Also, as the radio does not fit real tight into the base, you've got to constantly make sure it's actually charging. I have seen replacement battery packs that have the cord/plug, but I don't know if it operates when unplugged and the cord is not removable.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
^ On the cusp of ordering a couple of them and it sure would be nice if the 12v charger was more svelte. Thanks for the head's up! But for ~ $40 it goes with the territory I suppose.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I think the way they expect vehicle powering is by use of battery eliminators.

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Battery-Eliminator-Simulator-BAOFENG/dp/B00AI95DI2

41Uh3UXxJmL._SY300_.jpg

Eliminators are nice when you power the radio full time in a vehicle, although having the choice to use an external DC port is handy.

ExpedH3T

Explorer
Manual available!!!!!!!!

Bought a UV5R, whip antenna, extended battery, programming cable and manual from this guy at EXPO after I took the HAM test. The manual I got was awesome, and easy to follow.

Contact info for manual (not me)

Craig N7LB

photwe.jpg

madmax718

Explorer
Im not certain about the extended battery- can you plug the base charger into it? I bought the AAA pack (sucks) and the cigarette lighter charger (which adapts into base). also sucking.

Yudda

Adventurer
Im not certain about the extended battery- can you plug the base charger into it? I bought the AAA pack (sucks) and the cigarette lighter charger (which adapts into base). also sucking.

What sucks about them?
I was planning on buying the AA adapter and the car adapter.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior