WR250R/X Test Drive

nbleak21

Adventurer
You guys are making my mouth water... I've wanted a dual sport for years, and now that i'll be able to afford one, you're making it very hard on me not to take the plunge when i get back stateside!

matt t

Observer
I have a 08 WR250X that I bought for my wife. It is a awesome bike, but she does not like riding by herself. So I was thinking about selling if anyone is interested. It has FMF exhaust. I was going to ask $4200. If anyone has any questions about the bike, I will be glad to answer them as I have put a few miles on the bike myself.:bike_rider: 706-244-5153

nbleak21

Adventurer
I have a 08 WR250X that I bought for my wife. It is a awesome bike, but she does not like riding by herself. So I was thinking about selling if anyone is interested. It has FMF exhaust. I was going to ask $4200. If anyone has any questions about the bike, I will be glad to answer them as I have put a few miles on the bike myself.:bike_rider: 706-244-5153 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************706-244-5153******end_of_the_skype_highlighting

How many miles are on it?

You're right about going to 12 on the counter sprocket; quick effective fix for little $$$. Since I ride mine almost exclusively off-road, I'm looking for the bigger bottom end with the 47 rear. 5th & 6th gears are basically overdrives..this bike revs like the dickens! :sombrero:

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Not having read much about the WR, what are the advantages over say the KLX205 S. That's the one I've been narrowing in on recently. I'm just not allowed to borrow money for it, so I have to save for a little while longer.

-

EFI, 6-speed gearbox, 26k mile valve adjustment interval, new hi-rev engine design, a stator that puts out a ton of power for accessories. Check out "advrider>thumpers>wr250r first impressions" for a monster thread...a bunch of what you want (and don't wan't) to know. Also thumpertalk, wr250rforum, and wrrdualsport. :sombrero:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I haven't driven a KLX250S, but my understanding is they are a typical low-powered 250. I looked at them a lot before buying my WR250F. Also, the KLX is largely a recycled design. Lots of old parts. The WRR is a clean sheet design, all new parts, newest technology, and finished to a higher standard. It's just a better bike, for not much extra money.

The WRR just loafs along at 75mph, I don't even know if the KLX can get there, and if it can, probably not happy about it. I was really really blown away by how fast the little bike could go, and how unfussed it was about it. The only thing stopping you from cruising all day at 75mph, IMO, is the seat, the buzz in the pedals, and the wind pressure on your chest. So, all problems for the rider, the bike was fine.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
So, it looks like I'm officially doing a deal on the 2009 black WR250X. Should get it next week. Now I have to figure out my mods. An off-road skidplate, rad guard, and hand guards will go on before I ever take it off road. Probably looking at Flatland Racing for the rad and skidplate, and maybe Enduro Engineering for the hand guards. I would like broader hand guard shields for better wind protection when it's cold compared to my current Acerbis. I also intend to get the Yamaha front and rear billet aluminum disk brake guards. I never put them on my 250F, and bent the rear rotor. On the front, I figure the larger rotor from the X will be more vulnerable as well.

Also looking at my tire options. I think I want to take off the stockers right away and sell them as new-take-offs. It doesn't appear the TKC80's can work, as they don't make a 120/17 for the front. The bike pictured earlier in fact has MT-21's. I have found examples of people using:

Code:
Tire            On/Off   Front      Rear
Avon Distanzia   90/10   120-70/17  150-60/17  Best road grip obviously, should wear well
Kenda K270       50/50   4.60-17    5.10-17    Cheap, best mix of on/off road tread, long wearing, low grip?
Perelli MT-21    50/50   120-90/17  130-90/17  Best off-road grip, short wearing
Shinko 705       72/25   120-90/17  140-80/17  Cheap, good road grip, off-road good for a street tire

K270's, really like that look:

e9184a08_WR250X

On the rear rack, I'm not sure. I haven't really liked anything I have seen yet. The factory one is too small and smooth. The ProMoto Billet one is nice, but maybe too large... Flatland Racing has a decent one I like, but it's not quite right... A little too small, but could be welded to:

http://flatlandracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FR&Product_Code=29-02

What I want to do is have panier racks to mount a pair of Pelican 1430's to. Nice and cheap, compact top-loader hard cases. I would like to have that sytem where the top of the cases would be flush with the top of the rear rack. That would make a nice surface for strapping on the tent and sleeping bag.

The top racks look so simple in design, they all use 4 subframe mounts under the fender, it would be all too easy to get a piece of 1/8" aluminum plate and machine it to suit. I would like something simple like the Flatland plate, but with provision for lashing points, and on the sides, mounts for the panier racks.

I won't be buying this hideous thing:

WR250RXjpg.jpg

Last edited:

UHAULER

Explorer
I just watched your helmet cam video, you guys have some sweet looking singletrack.

I like the looks of the big tires, like a TW on steroids. I've always wondered how they would work, It seems like they would work good on Jeep/two track trails better than a 3.00x21. I've been thinking about getting a dual sport but I can't seem to let go of the ktm 300.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, the Ganny has some awesome single track. I tend to like it well worn in, so it flows, and you can fly through the trees. When it's really tight, I don't like it. For Hare Scrambles, they often blaze a fresh path through the trees. You're just driving through the brush, lots of foot dabbing, sometimes the trees are narrower than the bars. That I don't enjoy at all, but it really seperates the men from the boys.

Edit: Added the Shinko 705 to the list. I really like the look of this. I may give these a shot.

p_00187.jpg

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Well, the deal is done. Traded the WR250F in on the 2009 WR250X. Now the build begins. I've got some Shinko 705's on order, as well as the Ricochet skidplate. I still have to decide on handguards and rad guard.

I had to resist the temptation to go for a ride last night as I don't have the plate transfered yet. Will do that today, but then it's supposed to rain all weekend. :(

I did set to work removing all the ugly regulator stickers. And got my Touratec GPS mount mounted on the handlebars. Removed the passenger footpegs and the stupid passenger grab strap on the seat. My wife commented that it wasn't even 24 hours yet and I'm already modding. :)

What I find surprising is how much smaller it feels than my old bike. Seat is 3" shorter, as is the wheelbase, but the overall length is the same. But it feels so much more compact, and the weight is more manageable than my old bike even though it's actually 30lbs heavier. I think because the old bike was so tall I could only touch with the toes on one foot. Now I can get toes on both simultaneously, or flat foot on one side.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Drove by a Yamaha dealer today and looked at the WR250 and the salesman told me that probably would be to much bike for me where I'm just learning. He suggested the TW200 for a first bike. Unfortunately all that I will be doing this year is getting my license.:smiley_drive:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I don't think it would be too much bike. Assuming you are comfortable with the height of it, and it is possible to lower it an additional inch. The power is quite mellow. I can't see anybody getting in trouble with it. It's about twice as powerful as most of the other street legal 250's, but that ain't saying much. It'll wheely in first, but you have to try. Second is darn near impossible without a heavy clutch pop and a yank on the bars.

Seriously... I don't know what that guy is talking about.

The only thing I see is the front brake on the X is really pretty powerful. Could do a stoppie easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior