WR250R/X Test Drive

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Just got to test ride one. Well, it was the X Supermotard version, same deal basically. Man… is it ever nice.

I currently have an 06 WR250F, farkled with enduro armor and uncorked. I've been using it for Enduros and Hare Scrambles for a few years. But I've been wondering more and more how much I'm really into it. Worried about my family if I should crash, or the weekends that get eaten up racing. Maybe I just want to get back into doing what I did before I got into racing. Cruising the trails and backroads. I bought the WR-F thinking it would be fine for that. It's street plated ;) ;) ;) and everything but... It's loud, buzy, the chain drive clacks when cruising at certain speeds, the valve interval is really short, it's only got 5 speeds, etc. etc. etc. I've only put about 1700km on it in 3 years.

I keep thinking about the DR650, but it’s fairly heavy and the insurance much more than I'm currently paying. Actually, the insurance is a big impediment to me. It just goes with the CC’s, and it doesn’t matter that a DR650 is slow. Insurance is expensive enough in Canada. I find the current $50/month I'm paying now is pretty stupid for a bike I don't ride that much, and they want $127 for a DR650 which isn't that much more logical to me.

So anyhow, there was a Yamaha test ride event locally, so I checked it out.

Man, is the bike ever nice. Right off the bat, I banged into the rev limiter. My bike is about 13,500 rpm, I think this one is about 11,000. But it’s also so much smoother… I was just surprised to come up on the rev limiter so fast. I got through second gear, and thought, well damn, this thing is kinda slow, as I feared. Then I look at the speedo, and I think I was doing 50 mph. What the hell… The bike is so smooth, and it has a fairly linear pull, and it’s quiet, you don’t realize how fast you’re going. It hits the rev limiter just when my bike starts to get loud and fun. And the gearing is way taller than mine as well. I’d be cruising at 60mph, and think “I’m sure I’m in sixth, but let’s just check” <click> “Oh, now I’ve got sixth”. And then the bike is just purring along at 60 effortlessly. I took it up to 75mph, using maybe ½ throttle. Didn’t feel it was being worked at all, still just purring along. The chain drive is smooth, the engine is quiet. Amazing. This bike would be fine for cruising backroads all day up to 60, which is all I really wanna do anyway. I don’t want to go on a major highway even if I had a bigger bike. There's little buzz coming through the handlebars, but the foot pegs vibrate a lot. The seat is much better than mine, but I'm sure other's would find it narrow... it's all about perspective.

I can see why somebody would want a bike to be more comfortable for long cruising. But I don't know why anybody would want or need more power. At least as long as you don't have a passenger, or too much luggage. Other people (Lois) has shown you can drive around the world on even less powerful bikes.

Nice bike. I'm really conflicted now.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Rob,

Thanks for the review. I also looked at this bike a couple weeks ago and I want one. I think it would be the perfect complement to my KTM950.

Being so lightweight but yet powerful, I can see myself bringing this bike along on the next journey and use it around villages and such.

I found a few in good old CL:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/1723474457.html
http://olympic.craigslist.org/mcy/1724407738.html

And even brand new for $5200 on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009...iewItem&pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item3eff4c1fab

blatant

Adventurer
wow I pay 90 bucks a year for the klr and another 90 for the bandit 1200. 50per mth...that's a tad less than i pay for 100k/300k on my truck.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Oh man... found a 2008 WR250X left-over bike, new for a really nice price a few thousand miles away. This could happen. Would need to figure something out with the wheels/tires for off-roading. A set of off-road wheels aren't too much. Or, somebody on ADV did this, which is interesting. Defintely fine for just casually riding trails or dual-sport riding, but not for racing.

bike004yv3.jpg

Pretty cool. I could see this with a rack on the back and set of Pelican 1430's bolted on the sides. And it's cool because the 2008 X is blue, the 2009 is black, and the 2010 is white. I'm partial to Yamaha Blue.

Edit: Ok, just put my bike up for sale locally. Dunno if the wife would let me get this one before I sell mine, we'll see. It could easily save it's own monthly payment in gas savings driving it to work. 85mpg vs. 15mpg in my truck.

Last edited:

scarysharkface

Explorer
Oh man... found a 2008 WR250X left-over bike, new for a really nice price a few thousand miles away. This could happen. Would need to figure something out with the wheels/tires for off-roading. A set of off-road wheels aren't too much. Or, somebody on ADV did this, which is interesting. Defintely fine for just casually riding trails or dual-sport riding, but not for racing.

bike004yv3.jpg

Pretty cool. I could see this with a rack on the back and set of Pelican 1430's bolted on the sides. And it's cool because the 2008 X is blue, the 2009 is black, and the 2010 is white. I'm partial to Yamaha Blue.

Edit: Ok, just put my bike up for sale locally. Dunno if the wife would let me get this one before I sell mine, we'll see. It could easily save it's own monthly payment in gas savings driving it to work. 85mpg vs. 15mpg in my truck.

That's a spectacular bike.

Saving money with a motorcycle is a fallacy. It simply cannot be done. Saving your sanity with a motorcycle is more like it. A wr250x sounds like the perfect therapy!

John

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Saving money with a motorcycle is a fallacy. It simply cannot be done.

Why do you say that?

I'm currently paying $150/month on the loan for my current bike, and $50/month for insurance. I never ride it on the street. I have to use the truck to trailer it anywhere I want to ride it, usually resulting in burning lots of gas in the truck.

If I get this, commuting to work will be a reality. The truck burns 15mpg, the bike does 85. I burn about 33 gallons per month just commuting to work (seems like a lot more than that in reality!) the bike would use 6. 27 gallons saved would be about $108. So... yeah...

The bike can't really pay for itself outright. But, it'll do a better job earning it's keep than a pure dirt bike.

(I don't really understand why the math doesn't look even better. Says I should be spending about $132 per month in gas on the truck, but the reality is it's about double that.)

RHINO

Expedition Leader
no not original wheels. some guys lace wide rims and run two rear tires,,,, kinda making something like a tw200 i think. there is a local guy to me that has done the same thing with a husqvarna.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
No, my understanding is those are the original X supermotard wheels, with two 17" rear tires mounted, I think TKC80's.

I like it too. It's a little weird looking and I'm not sure how it really works for racing (I'm guessing it might not turn too well) but general trail riding and street use, probably fine. The lower stance would also be much better for me.

The X comes OEM with smoothies. I have the R..it has Bridgestone Trailwings aka Deathwings. Some like 'em, most switch 'em out for Dunlop 606 or Pirelli Scorpions. I'll try the Pirellis next month.

Great bike. I'll be adding a larger rear sprocket..from a 43 to 47. The R is a bit "snatchy" off the line due to the EFI and taller gearing. That'll be the extent of my mechanical farkles, save for the lowering link I threw on. The bike is tall for my 31" inseam. But there is starting to be quite an enthusiastic group of owners and therefore more aftermarket support for the R.

Check out ADV...there is a WR250R thread that is currently 915 pages long. And WR250forum and WRdualsport. Happy trails...:sombrero:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yup, I'm aware of those threads. :) Part of the decision making process. The WR thread is now the 4th biggest thread in the thumper forum at ADV. Pretty good. I think the bike can best be summed up as "Everything you need, nothing you don't need". Capable of 75+mph, and only 290lbs. I was pretty unenthusiastic about it when it came out in 08. Figured it was just like all the other 250's. Slow and underpowered. The test drive swayed me.

I already know I'll be farkling it with a good skid plate, and hand guards/bark busters. Not sure on the rad guards. Those things are mandatory for an off-road bike, AFAIK. And then I'll work on getting a rear rack and Pelican 1430's as paniers.

scarysharkface

Explorer
Why do you say that?

I'm currently paying $150/month on the loan for my current bike, and $50/month for insurance. I never ride it on the street. I have to use the truck to trailer it anywhere I want to ride it, usually resulting in burning lots of gas in the truck.

If I get this, commuting to work will be a reality. The truck burns 15mpg, the bike does 85. I burn about 33 gallons per month just commuting to work (seems like a lot more than that in reality!) the bike would use 6. 27 gallons saved would be about $108. So... yeah...

The bike can't really pay for itself outright. But, it'll do a better job earning it's keep than a pure dirt bike.

(I don't really understand why the math doesn't look even better. Says I should be spending about $132 per month in gas on the truck, but the reality is it's about double that.)

Tires, maintenance, bling. You'll see. :bike_rider:

Mind you, I'm not suggesting it's a bad idea!

John

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Ok, I see your point. Though I've done a decent job of not spending a fortune on my current bike. But I don't have much experience with wear of street tires.

The 2008 bike is about a 5 hour drive away, which is a bit much. It would consume at least a whole day going to get it, not to mention at least $100 in fuel. Plus it makes it nearly impossible to work out a trade on my bike. What I realized is that Yamaha actually has a published "deal" on 2008 WR-X's, which led me to believe they actually might have more of them in a warehouse. So, I went down to the local dealer, to see what they could do. Apparently there are 2 2008's in Ontario, at dealers, and it doesn't make sense for my local guy to go get them. They're asking $6200 for those.

But my local dealer can get a 2009 from the Yamaha warehouse, and sell them for $6400. Seems like a no-brainer. But I just prefer the blue plastic so much more. I'll probably have to just live with the black.

2009WR250X.jpg

The sticker on a 2010 is over $8500, but they sell for $8100. I'm glad I found these deals, becuase I was having a real hard time thinking about paying full price on a bike, when I know they're selling for so much less in the US.

Great bike. I'll be adding a larger rear sprocket..from a 43 to 47. The R is a bit "snatchy" off the line due to the EFI and taller gearing. That'll be the extent of my mechanical farkles, save for the lowering link I threw on. The bike is tall for my 31" inseam. But there is starting to be quite an enthusiastic group of owners and therefore more aftermarket support for the R.

I'm thinking about just going right for the countershaft sprocket. Dropping from a 13 to 12 I think. I've read about others doing it. Seems the bike is so far overgeared. I have no intention of ever going faster than 75mph. Not that I want to gear it to run out of gear at 80mph, but 6th is almost too tall to use at 60mph anyway. But, what sucks is, then you need to do something to fix the speedo because this thing measures it off the transmission instead of the front wheel. Weird.

I keep coming back to... "Gee, I just wish it was a 400 or 450, just a little more". But, this little thing will do about 90mph, and a 15 second quarter mile. Why do you really need more? Somebody else on ADV commented, I think they traded in a 690 or 950 for one of these. They said it's so much easier to drive off-road. With the big bike, you spend so much time trying to just barely crack the throttle to avoid spinning the rear wheel.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12