4307's Canadian Taco Build

haddix

Adventurer
Very glad you are finally updating this thread. One of my favorites on this site. Keep up the awesome work.

Wainiha

Explorer
At first I couldn't wait to see the end of this thread and the final product. Now that I'm done reading I'm sad and want more.

Adventurer
Thanks for the comments. :sombrero:

I upgraded my 63" Chevy leaf springs.
I mentioned in the Muskoka Loop thread on Sontt.com, I need to beef up the junkyard Chevy's. I could add another leaf and hope for the best, but the pack has become fairly soft, for the trip loads, that I carry. Basically I was hitting my bump stops more than I like.
The junkyards were tired. They're amazing when the truck is empty of gear, and would be perfect on a single cab or extra cab Taco.

Anyway, Instead of going to the bone yard for another 4-pack of used Chevy leafs, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new pair of Chevy replacement leafs. The New Standens springs are a direct replacement for the OEM 63" Chevy's ( eye to eye length is 62" on the new springs, but still considered "63"ers"). The one inch difference will give me a better shackle angle (in theory) for the loads I carry.... we'll see.
This pair consist of 4 leafs + overload.
I need to remove the overload and possibly the 3rd leaf.
The new springs may work for my needs if I stick with 3 leafs. The spring rate is OEM, so they may be stiffer since they are new. If I hit the bumps I'll add the 3rd leaf to make a 4 pack.
The spring's come with OEM style bushings, which is a good thing, I don't want to fork out more dough for Energy Bushings. The old springs will be my spare set, so the Energy bushings will remain on my original springs.

The bill came to $500 all in, with extra centering pins and 4- 5/8" and custom made U-bolts. Pretty beefy.
The springs look way better than the OEM Chevy's, hope the springs live up to the look. :mrgreen: edit: they do :wings:

I love the Chevy's, for the price and the flex.
I bought the new springs at KW spring (Kitchener Ontario). It took 3 days to ship, from time of order, lickity split. The U-bolts were custom made to my specs at the shop.

Standens: Made in Canuckistan! :cool:

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

-------------------------------------

Installed last summer:

I removed the overload spring and stuck with the 4 leafs in the pack. The old pack had 3 leafs.

IMG_0806.jpg

The install was pretty straight forward.
I cut the old U-bolts off using the plasma cutter... I love that thing!

IMG_0808.jpg

The only real hang up was removing the driver side front hanger bolt. True to this gen Taco, the bolt remains to be a complete PITA! The bolt was seized in the bushing sleeve. After pounding it with a hammer and punch, we concluded the bolt needed to be cut out. After 3 rear suspension installs on Taco's the same problem continues... that one pesky bolt... Sheesh!
I used a thin cutoff wheel and grinder. Good thing I had a spare bolt.

IMG_0809.jpg

The springs bolted up perfectly. I thought the new springs with the extra leaf would have lifted the rear more than it did, compared to the last set of Chevy's. I was still able to retain a 45* shackle angle.
The ride feels much better. Less body roll, and a more controlled feel for the weight if the (unloaded) truck.
I still need to test the load carrying ability, by throwing all our camping gear, water and loaded with fuel, to see if I still bottom out. I have a feeling the 4 pack will manage he weight quite well. If not, I can always add another leaf.
All in all, I'm happy with the results, but I still need to relocate the shocks into a / \ position, so I can reap the full articulation these springs are known for.

This is how the truck sits after the install...

IMG_0812.jpg

The springs will break in. I couldn't wait to test them out on the Ardbeg run. update: the springs did not settle, which is a good thing, since I've added more mods.

While we were at it, we thought we'd tackle another suspension project: Cranking the DR front coilovers.
Well, true to our climate, and the known Donahoe / Icon collar issue, the set screw on the coil pre-load collar was seized. The setscrew takes a 4mm Allen key, to loosen the screw. After twisting a regular Allen key, busting a socket Allen bit, then busting a extractor bit....
That sucker is SEIZED!!!!
I didn't even try the other coilover set screw, I assume it's the same.
I guess the next course of action is, to remove the broken extractor bit then drill out the remaining set screw. I'm hoping I can do this without removing the shocks from the truck. If I can remove the screw without damaging the collar set screw thread, I'll replace it with a stainless bolt. A bolt won't interfere with the upper A-arm.
It's a pain to extract broken bolts and screws, but it needs to be fixed. All I needed was a quarter-half turn of the pre-load collar to level out the truck. The 650 lbs coils have settled quit a bit since the install. The original factory preset was set to 2" of lift. Right now, I have roughly 1" of front end lift. If I regain the 2"- 2.5" of lift, the front end will feel much tighter. I'm sure as the spring rate settled, it affected my alignment, which also needs to be addressed, to stop excessive tire wear. I can't do the alignment until I fix the set screw and crank the coil pre-load.
Hopefully I can get this done before Ardbeg.

Buggered up set screw on the pre-load collar with the broken extractor bit still seated in the set screw.... :blackeye:

IMG_0817.jpg

Anyway, I gave up (for now) on the Coilover repair, after talking to Icon. I cant afford to put the truck up on blocks while the C/O's are mailed to Icon. So the current front end ride height will remain the same. I'm planning an SAS, so I'll get the C/O's repaired at that time, maybe next summer.
Update: the issue with the set screw remains.

Leafsprings:
Before: with new Chevy's and 5" shackles

IMG_0812.jpg

After: with 6" shackles. Full tank of gas and NO gear.

IMG_0823.jpg

After wheeling with a fully loaded truck, the 4th leaf needed help. I'm thinking of adding the original overload spring, unless I can find a thinner overload from my local spring shop. The Chevy overload spring is 1" thick at the centering pin. If I decide to put the Chevy overload back in, I'll have to go back to a 5" shackle.
The Chevy setup I fabbed up is designed with an SAS in mind. If i was staying IFS the rear shackle position would be pushed back a little farther back 1/2"-3/4".

Wheeling with the 4 pack Chevy's (Standens)

Video:
http://s955.photobucket.com/albums/... 12-14 2011/?action=view&current=SDV_0219.mp4

ardbeg2011009.jpg

Update:
After last years Ardbeg run, I felt like the leaf pack needed another leaf. I decided to put the overkill... err, I mean the overload spring back in the spring pack.
I was thinking the overload would hurt the overall performance, the Chevy 63''ers are known for. After installing the overload and wheeling with a fully loaded truck, I quickly realized the 4 leafs+overload are exactly what I was looking for. The performance was not diminished. The flex remained the same, I don't hit the bump stops, rides like a Cadillac, with and without loads of gear. I'm totally in love with these springs... totally worth the investment.
I still need to relocate the shocks to a / \ position, but I'll keep the stock location until I do the front solid axle swap... :cool: hopefully in the spring.

This is a current pic of the truck loaded with gear, sporting the 4 leaf+overload Standens. I may be the only Taco running Standens springs. :coffeedrink:
Review: highly recommended. :ylsmoke:

DSC01627.jpg

rkj__

Adventurer
Just flipped through your thread here. You've done some great work on your truck. It's cool to see all your fabrication work come together. Thanks for sharing.

PS, it looks like you SONTT folks know how to have a good time too.

Adventurer
Just flipped through your thread here. You've done some great work on your truck. It's cool to see all your fabrication work come together. Thanks for sharing.

PS, it looks like you SONTT folks know how to have a good time too.

Thanks.

Well, you can always join us, just sign up and keep an eye out for club runs.

flash9588

North American Overland
Fantastic workmanship! The truck is turning into a real work of art. I'm another Canadian portal lurker like yourself, I have a 96 taco which I intend to transform into an expedition machine. I envy your shop/ resources and ability to design and fabricate with such intricacy. Were I to live in ON I would likely be on your door step pleading for help and direction with my fabrication needs. I've subbed to your thread and really look forward to what else you have planned for your truck. Cheers eh!

Alex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger