45k - Sportsmobile

RVRoams

In a way I wish sites and subforums like this didn't exist, since it makes trying to land any kind of deal all the more difficult. I was leaving for a 1200 mile trip the morning after this was posted otherwise I would have tried to go get it.

I offered to fly back once at my destination and buy it but I'm sure someone else snapped it up since the sale facilitator has since deleted the posting.

No doubt someone else saw the value and bought it even if they just intend to flip it after fixing the issues. Try to find another diesel original SMB 4x4 conversion without 300k miles under 60k asking these days... pretty much impossible, I've been looking for almost 3 years.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
In a way I wish sites and subforums like this didn't exist, since it makes trying to land any kind of deal all the more difficult. I was leaving for a 1200 mile trip the morning after this was posted otherwise I would have tried to go get it.

I offered to fly back once at my destination and buy it but I'm sure someone else snapped it up since the sale facilitator has since deleted the posting.

No doubt someone else saw the value and bought it even if they just intend to flip it after fixing the issues. Try to find another diesel original SMB 4x4 conversion without 300k miles under 60k asking these days... pretty much impossible, I've been looking for almost 3 years.

Well the last 3 years have been the hardest time to buy a reasonably priced rig if you're not willing to build one. Didn't see the original posting but it seems to be evidence of pricing coming down. And down it will come.

Kevin108

Explorer
Try to find another diesel original SMB 4x4 conversion without 300k miles under 60k asking these days... pretty much impossible, I've been looking for almost 3 years.
The problem is, as you're waiting for prices to come down, the mileage, age, and scarcity of these things is going up, along with inflation pulling 15%+ out of the value of a dollar. I think you might be chasing your tail here. $60,000 is the new $45,000.

ovrland6250

Agreed on pricing. The prices are not going up. The purchasing power of your dollar is going down. A 4x4 econoline is much more scarce than money is. Especially after the last 3 years of government fiscal policy. I think the only way to get a "deal" on any of these rigs is to have a seller not be internet literate and understand the market. Sometimes an older couple puts one up for sale on Auto Trader for below market price but basically impossible these days with all the flippers combing every possible avenue with automated internet alerts etc...

Arclight

SAR guy
Time is also a factor. If work offered you a huge promotion that required moving to Europe, you might not have time to fix the roof leak, get it detailed and wait for the perfect couple from Vancouver who has been searching for 3 years to get this exact model. Taking the loss for a quick sale is better than losing the job opportunity. So it still happens, just not as often.

RVRoams

Agreed on pricing. The prices are not going up. The purchasing power of your dollar is going down. A 4x4 econoline is much more scarce than money is. Especially after the last 3 years of government fiscal policy. I think the only way to get a "deal" on any of these rigs is to have a seller not be internet literate and understand the market. Sometimes an older couple puts one up for sale on Auto Trader for below market price but basically impossible these days with all the flippers combing every possible avenue with automated internet alerts etc...

My own personal take/opinion is that any of these older SMBs are already and have been way overpriced. The cost of something new may have doubled in the last decade but they're 30+ year old ford vans when it comes down to it. There is no reason they should be 70-100k when the quality of the build is constantly in question.

But the name creates demand and covet. I decided a while ago I'm not buying someone's DIY converted 4x4 van with a random build. The resale value of those is nonexistent, especially the way things are trending. So it's either a deal on one of these (ideally a chevy, which is rare) or take the cash I intended to use to buy outright and shell out for a new transit AWD and eventually get on a wait list with Field Van.

Reactions: zip

ovrland6250

Cancel the trip and grab this then take straight to U Joint and you get all your money back when you want to sell -- https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/rvs/d/clackamas-2000-sportsmobile-pop-top/7601074523.html

RVRoams

It's back up for sale, 55k.

I was just headed back to this thread to post up the same, as it's well beyond what I consider a deal any longer. I don't think the market is in their favor to hike it $10k when it needs work as stated, and likely needs plenty of other work not stated. But clearly the interest it generated makes them feel otherwise.

The poster did tell me that the lady who owns it was not happy with the initial $45k asking and that was his idea.

reync

I was just headed back to this thread to post up the same, as it's well beyond what I consider a deal any longer. I don't think the market is in their favor to hike it $10k when it needs work as stated, and likely needs plenty of other work not stated. But clearly the interest it generated makes them feel otherwise.

The poster did tell me that the lady who owns it was not happy with the initial $45k asking and that was his idea.

I’m confused. You started here by complaining you can’t find anything exactly like this rig under $60k and bemoaning the fact it got snapped up quickly. Then when it turns out the rig is still for sale, and under $60k, you turn your nose up at it? Is your displeasure actually coming from the current list price, or just from the fact it was momentarily advertised at a lower price?

RVRoams

I’m confused. You started here by complaining you can’t find anything exactly like this rig under $60k and bemoaning the fact it got snapped up quickly. Then when it turns out the rig is still for sale, and under $60k, you turn your nose up at it? Is your displeasure actually coming from the current list price, or just from the fact it was momentarily advertised at a lower price?

You are confused. I wouldn't pay anywhere near $60k. I stated that listing-wise, it's rarer to see asking under $60k. There's well over a dozen econoline SMB options listed at that range for many months now on various sites.

I came here to call out this exact scenario before it happened - a somewhat decent asking price rig gets posted on a high traffic forum with sharks and flippers everywhere, they get some messages from likely a bunch of people intending to lowball, and the seller thinks that magically increases the value.

Based on being in active negotiation with them, them ghosting me, and then reposting and increasing the price I would never end up doing business with them on principle alone.

sisyphus949

You are confused. I wouldn't pay anywhere near $60k. I stated that listing-wise, it's rarer to see asking under $60k. There's well over a dozen econoline SMB options listed at that range for many months now on various sites.

I came here to call out this exact scenario before it happened - a somewhat decent asking price rig gets posted on a high traffic forum with sharks and flippers everywhere, they get some messages from likely a bunch of people intending to lowball, and the seller thinks that magically increases the value.

Based on being in active negotiation with them, them ghosting me, and then reposting and increasing the price I would never end up doing business with them on principle alone.
After private messaging you a local non-internet posted one for sale in excellent condition (and a reluctance to contact the seller) I dont think you want one and it is just a transference of dissatisfaction. If you want it then do what it takes to make it work/get it. They aren't worth what you think they are worth, they are worth what they will sell for. Your going to continue complaining, but you didnt buy the one you want "because you didnt like the seller as a person"? Seems petty. Suck it up and get over yourself. You want it? So go for it. The seller is not your friend to judge on principle, nor are they your friend.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears