Exkab- German manufactured pop-up camper

Long story short- A fellow MUD member gave me this link to a very interesting pop up manufacturer in Germany. Exkab.

exkab09.jpg

Check out the website gallery, I could not figure out how to link pics with their setup....

adrenaline503

Explorer
That would be bad *** on my aluminum flatbed. I wonder how hard it would be to have an aluminum fabricator build the box and roof.

Last edited:

dzzz

I think it would be considerably less livable than the typical american style soft sided popup.

Mamontof

Explorer
I think it would be considerably less livable than the typical american style soft sided popup.

Can you explained what you mean "Typical American Style" ????:ylsmoke:

And your vision of "livable space" :Wow1:

dose2.jpg

It looks like it would better suit my needs for winter camping in the snow. By having a angled roof line it would naturaly shed snow. The cabinets look alot better than the typical american pop up camper.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
The German's make awesome campers no doubt, but unless you like getting your windshield wiper arms torqued or broken off, as well as any hood or roof mounted radio antennae's, by a mini-avalanche of forward sliding snow, it's preferable to let any snow slide off to the rear.

Of this, I am certain. ;)

The German's make awesome campers no doubt, but unless you like getting your windshield wiper arms torqued or broken off, as well as any hood or roof mounted radio antennae's, by a mini-avalanche of forward sliding snow, it's preferable to let any snow slide off to the rear.

Agreed but its not like I couldnt cleen the window off. Much easier to reach than a flat roof. Our snow in the Cascades has a high water content and normaly HEAVY Cascade CONCRETE!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Agreed but its not like I couldnt cleen the window off. Much easier to reach than a flat roof. Our snow in the Cascades has a high water content and normaly HEAVY Cascade CONCRETE!

I hear ya on the heavy stuff, it's sticky too!... It's simply a point for convenience (and perhaps preventing damage to the wipers & antennas) but from personal experience, what I'm referring to is like this -

994326788_FufcN-O.jpg

His windshield is already covered. If he were to drop the front end, allowing the snow to slide forward (assuming it will...), then he'll have a big pile of snow creating unnecessary pressure on the wipers and maybe antennae. Plus he'll have to brush it all off, creating a pile on both sides possibly making getting into the cab a PITA...

Now again, I'm just mentioning this for making it easier should someone find themselves waking up to a lot of snow on the roof... it is certainly not required or a big deal. It's not even covered in the 'How to Overland' books... Just something I learned from camping in the snow with a pop-up.

But in this same scenario, if he were to drop the back end only and pull the truck forward a few feet, the snow would slide off the back and out of the way (or he could pull it off with a Sno-Rake if he brought one) without exerting any energy, getting wet from clearing snow away while standing out in the cold, or possibly damaging anything on the truck or camper and without making a big pile by the cab doors. The last thing you want when waking up to a morning like this and having to drive in it, is to have wipers that don't work - no bueno!

Just a tip from someone who has been there... In warmer climates this is obviously a non-issue.

ColinTheCop said:
The inside looks to be finished very well.....

Agreed. That's that old world craftsmanship for you... Shame the majority of RV manufacturers in the US don't take that kind of pride in their work and attention to detail.. Those cabinets and finish work look exemplary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior