Exkab- German manufactured pop-up camper

wannaby

Adventurer
Im shure it could be built to pop straight up.and I think any aluminum fab shop would build the base shell in canada or the us then you could finnish it inside yourself ....would this be lighter than say 1/4 plywood and i.5x1.5 framing.

rynosurf

Adventurer
I've seen those here before and I like the design. You would lose a little room in the bunk area but you would have more head room in the rear. I also think the slanted roof would work better in heavy winds. The inside is not bad although it looks like it was designed by Ikea.

Someone needs to copy this idea with hard sides. Two rigid triangles with a rear (with a window) that flips down or up and locks it all into place.

gjackson

FRGS
attachment.php

Now that's funny. :coffeedrink:

cheers

Attachments

• exkab09_calvin.jpg
    exkab09_calvin.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 923

wannaby

Adventurer
According to this rough guestimate...

The density of aluminum is 2.7 g/cm3, so in doing the math, assuming the sheet is 4' x 8' x 1/4", the volume is 1152 cubic inches, or 18,878 cubic centimeters. The weight would be 51 kg, or 112 pounds.
It seems it may be a little more than 400 odd pounds ...after adding the inside bits...

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
you'l find it definitely won't be 1/4' plate

probably 1.8mm or less with some angle framework

ThomD

Explorer
From the web site:

The carcass of the EXKAB is made out of 30x30x3 mm aluminium pipe. It is mounted on a 19 mm screen process panel which is welded and glued with riveted angle brackets for reasons of robustness.

In addition to that the outer skin of the EXKAB, made out of corrugated sheet metal (2.5 mm on 4.0 mm), with the sides and the roof made out of one piece which is also glued and riveted, results in a high level of robustness and flexibility.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Not sure if I agree with you guys on the interior.

While it does look nice, it is not a custom job. It looks like the bits came from Ikea.

wannaby

Adventurer
From the web site:

Mmmm.....shure looks like checkerplate to me ...but hard to see in the picks ..so what about homemade say 1/8 or 3/16 checker with some framework...then mayby 1 inch styro inside with some framing then say 1/8 ply inside then some cabinetry..
And what is that round thing on the counter in the 8th pick is that a stove...or should I just shut up....

skysix

Adventurer
They also make a hard side popup similar to an Alaskan NCO but only 6' or so long.

Not sure that the construction would be ideal for cold climates. Huge heat sink and conduction loss with that amount of aluminum bridging into the interior. Having lived in a camper at below -35 for a couple of months at a time - your energy useage to heat it would be HUGE (unless you were in the above mentioned hard-sided popup) as discovered by the Turtle expedition on their Russian trip, and you'd also have a lot of frost buildup on the interior walls corresponding to the framework. And a high potential for tissue damage from your skin freezing to metal surfaces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12