4d34 turbo advice needed

canter tourer

Adventurer
Thanka Dan, Is it the thing in the middle of this pic that looks like it has a cover on it? Dont wanna break something..
Dave

Attachments

• 20180911_192318.jpg
    20180911_192318.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 30

canter tourer

Adventurer
Ok covers off, mine must be different, no allen key to be seen...not sure if this is the right screw to be playing with. .
Dave

Attachments

• 1536659245217-1412844296.jpg
    1536659245217-1412844296.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 24

canter tourer

Adventurer
Played with tuning a little bit now, has original 2 1/4 exhaust which is now straight thru with muffler deleted and its not too loud, has a nice whistle at the outlet;) 1.5 turns on the pump, gets 12.5lb boost and max egts of 550c pre turbo and pulls well to near redline and not smoky.

So i take it there would still be more power available but i cant adjust the boost any higher as I've maxed out the adjustment on the waste gate arm, so without modifying the arm, or fitting a manual boost controller thats it for now.

But to be honest I'm pretty happy with how it performs now, even though its a conservatove tune but it certainly keeps up with traffic now:) and wish i did it sooner.

Dave

Aussie Iron

Explorer
That's not bad boost and egt is good. Egt will rise if you are in a higher gear and driving up a slight rise and give it a little throttle, that's when I see a rise. A world of DIFFERENCE is what I say.

Dan.

Amesz00

Adventurer
Depends if you're intercooled or not.. if not then probably 15max. If it is, then don't worry about the boost so much as the egts- that's what'll potentially kill it.

canter tourer

Adventurer
Thanks Amesz, it is intercooled so safe on that score, I'll be keeping a keen eye on egts and see if i get more power hungry after the coming trip. But at this stage I'm a happy camper, though i might order a boost controller and have a play when i get back:), and keep dreaming of a set of Dans transfer gears which would go down just nicely and totally transform the truck.....maybe next year, a boy can only hope.
Dave

PilbaraFG637

Thats what i was going to have a go at, i can weld (not trade qualified though haha) but just wanted to know how you got it started - did you just use an exhaust gasket as template to cut flange and then just weld pipes on to that or did you start with a cut down stock manifold?
Any pics ?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
If I were making a custom manifold, without using mandrel bent bends, I would use the existing manifold to get a plan of the mounting face, then draw that up in CAD.
With the CAD drawing I could get a face plate laser cut from 10mm plate, then I would use steam pipe fittings to do the bends. The mounting plates for the turbo could also be laser cut from plate.
Keeping the wall thicknesses as thick as practical would give more thermal efficiency. Tack everything together to ensure correct fit and alignment, then weld it all together.
You should also fillet all of the joins and ensure that you get good penetration with every weld. Depending on the welding method being used, you may have to tack and weld as you go, so you don't end up with joins that you cannot access well.

Not rocket science, if you have some background in metal fabrication/engineering.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I built mine if you wanted to chase up on one of the threads as well. For mounting plate I would go at least 12mm and thicker would be better as you will get less warp-age. If I build another I would pre-load the mounting face surface (to the head) so there would be less dressing to do on the mounting face.

Dan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78