4Door Bronco build

patl

Adventurer
Yeah Andy- I'm not really the social type normally. My wife eats up all the attention. But I gotta tell ya- I'm starting to get off on it! There are several jeep guys around who have done double takes trying to figure out what it is. Every time I stop to fill up, people want to look and take pictures.

Getting close to the magic #. Just 500 more miles and we're there.

patl

Adventurer
Yellowstone for sure, and several of the California parks along with parts of the coast highway. Plan to spend a large amount of time in southern Utah, northern Arizona, and parts of Colorado. Will take a few trips to accomplish.

big a

Adventurer
Yeah Andy- I'm not really the social type normally. My wife eats up all the attention. But I gotta tell ya- I'm starting to get off on it! There are several jeep guys around who have done double takes trying to figure out what it is. Every time I stop to fill up, people want to look and take pictures.

Getting close to the magic #. Just 500 more miles and we're there.

I completely understand! We dropped a diesel in a friend's Bronco II and we would have people pull up to us a red lights asking about the conversion. I can only imagine how much more attention your bronco gathers!

That's awesome that your wife loves it! Makes the experience that much better :)

Well, if we can ever dry up enough for me to get some concrete poured, I'll be able to resurrect my build thread! It is nice though to see all the lakes up, but now they're all so high everything is flooding. Feast or famine I guess...

Glad things are goin well for you on your build!!!

patl

Adventurer
Just when you think it's about done, something else comes along. Was working on modifying a fiberglass tonneau cover for the rear bed when Thomas says- "why don't we do a retractable?". So I got in touch with one of the suppliers of these covers and submitted measurements with a request for an estimate. They got back a few days later and said the were interested, but could not make their end pieces for the canister, which houses the top when it is rolled up, work with the smaller space of the Bronco. But they were kind enough to sell us the necessary parts from a full size truck, and we did what we do- modify it, fix it, make it work like we want!

Tonneau cover 003.JPG

Side rails cut down to fit the tub.

Tonneau cover 009.JPG

For now we just cut their end pieces since this top is less than 4' overall in length. A lot easier than building a new set.
The sheet metal for the canister was cut down and re-bent to fit our piece.

Tonneau cover 004.JPG

Top was narrowed about 6" to fit the Bronco.

Next week will go over to Mark's and use his 10' hand break to finish the canister.

Last edited:

big a

Adventurer
That's awesome man!!! That's the best part of the word custom!!! I enjoy the heck out of doing just that!!!!

patl

Adventurer
Hey Andy- Been out of touch for a while, but I think we have finally figured it out. The cover that goes up against the top has a little tweaking before it's complete, but everything else is built and installed. Turned out great, with a very low profile. Will make those nights in a hotel a lot better not having to unload or worry about tools and recovery gear.

Tonneau cover 008.JPG

Tonneau cover 009.JPG

Tonneau cover 011.JPG

Tonneau cover 012.JPG

Many thanks to Glenn and Tommy Lee from Phoenix Conversions in Knoxville for their help in sourcing the materials and providing necessary contact with the manufacturer. Being able to secure and lock everything in the back, not to mention the weather resistant bonus, makes it a lot less stressful. I think the small amount of space given up for the canister will be more than out weighed by the security feature.

Now I have to design and build a sliding platform to be able to strap my toolbox, gear and ice chest down in order to slide it out where I can get to it. It just never ends.

Attachments

• Tonneau cover 005.JPG
    Tonneau cover 005.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Tonneau cover 004.JPG
    Tonneau cover 004.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 51

big a

Adventurer
Man Patl, that's slick!!!!! Well brother, I finally got concrete! Took awhile to dry out enough to move all the dirt and form it up! Steel was delivered today, so the new shop should go up next wk!!! I'll b back to mine soon!!! In the meantime, I'm picking up a rtt tmrw in preparation for the trailer I'm gonna build! Gotta great deal and couldn't resist :)
-Andy

patl

Adventurer
Saw your post about the foundation for your shop, Andy. I'm at the point in life where a nice shop with an attached apartment would suit me just fine. For some reason, the wife doesn't agree. Hope yours turns out well.

patl

Adventurer
Still not quite done. Was having a little challenge turning the tires at idle speed, so got the guys at Redneck Ram to custom build one of their assist units to help out. Works great, and really makes those sharp cuts much easier. They will build any length and PSI to fit your needs.

Sunday afternoon ride 022.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior