4Runner and Trekker build: Trekking Overland

TrucMan

Adventurer
Well I got some things done this weekend. Earlier this week I also received new tires to replace the sketchy front two Iv had on there since purchase.

I finished my seat installation, I replaced the not comfortable stock seats with some pretty nice Prelude seats. I really like how they feel and I put some old seat covers over them.
ccbceddc7cd4a76f2d5544e4e60592d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrucMan

Adventurer
On a wild hair I was digging through my hoarded parts and found a switch panel and a support brace for a aftermarket Jeep center console.
9da047610656538d43d58638ad823832.jpg

I figured I could make a pretty decent switch box out of them. If it dosent work then it oh well, just some old parts. So I put two and two together... literally.
0eba09451742b8e60dee6b8a6b81c161.jpg

9029b9b4136620a839522d43a3077252.jpg

Turned out great I think! I just gotta screw it down and put my switches in and wire them up and find somethings to connect to the switches and etc etc...
86ef4ac177b16b7ee05fbfb6a06fee7d.jpg

TrucMan

Adventurer
96aac4ad1e087a1955ea2ad356d8ec57.jpg

Added some decent no-name LED floods.

In other news, I'm considering extra cabbing my truck. It involves some pretty serious fab work but I think the results are worth it. It'll make the rig so much more usable...
Thoughts?

TrucMan

Adventurer
71196239286af12b034ce64e4a6999d1.jpg

Something similar to this me thinks. Only enclosed in the rear with a bulkhead, and some pop open rear windows (Ford Ranger ex.cab windows?).
The way most folks seem to do it is cut up another 1st gen cab and is that to extent the original truck cab.

TrucMan

Adventurer
Ha, I'd love to! Just a little to much fabrication for me I think.
I'm also considering moving to a custom cab truck. They're about a mile long but...

mtnkid85

Adventurer
Added some decent no-name LED floods.

In other news, I'm considering extra cabbing my truck. It involves some pretty serious fab work but I think the results are worth it. It'll make the rig so much more usable...
Thoughts?

Back in the old days of Pirate4x4 there was a fellow on there that grafted a second gen extra cab portion onto a first gen cab. It came out surprisingly clean. He freaked out and deleted all of his internet presence but, it was a blue and white 2wd pre runner looking thing, if you can find some images of it.

TrucMan

Adventurer
Just doodling...
012bd7f2021b23e478d85c5895aa8bcf.jpg

Proportions are a little off, but this is my basic idea. Essentially the bed would be fully integrated to the cab like a 4Runner and then the extra portions bulkhead would be grounded right in front of the rear wheel well.

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
You'll want to redo the bed mounts and make them isolated like the cab. Otherwise the bed portion won't flex with the cab portion. That would cause a lot of torsional stress.

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Why not just cab swap it? Throw on a Xtra cab from a later gen pickup.
Or if you want 4 doors get a 4Runner body and chop it shorter.

You could work on the 4Runner body and still have the pickup to drive until it gets finished. And if you get into it and decide it's too much then you aren't in a pinch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears