4runner rock slider that is also a step

Porkchopexpress

I'm looking to upgrade from the factory running board on 2018 TRD offroad to a rock slider but I can't eliminate the "step" feature because my wife is short so she actually uses the step to get in and out. Something where she has to stick her toes under the door sill or something isn't going to work. Anyone have first hand experience with a rock slider that fits that requirement?

Thanks!

jchasse

I can't offer first hand experience, but I've been looking at sliders for my 5th gen. You may want to look into:

Southern Style Offroad
C4 Fab
RCI
Cali Raised

I've been on the T4R forums for years, and these four are the ones I'm looking at.

Here's a thread with more info than you probably want: Linky

phsycle

Adventurer
I'm looking to upgrade from the factory running board on 2018 TRD offroad to a rock slider but I can't eliminate the "step" feature because my wife is short so she actually uses the step to get in and out. Something where she has to stick her toes under the door sill or something isn't going to work. Anyone have first hand experience with a rock slider that fits that requirement?

Thanks!

Do you actually need rock sliders? Just curious. If your ventures are not too crazy, I’d opt for one of those Amp power steps. Gets them nice and tucked up out of the way and gets nice and low.

I’ve had step sliders. They’re nice when you need that protection as well as a good step. But they’re still way up there, especially if you’re lifted. Helps a little bit but not that much. Bette than nothing, I suppose.

Porkchopexpress

Do you actually need rock sliders? Just curious. If your ventures are not too crazy, I’d opt for one of those Amp power steps. Gets them nice and tucked up out of the way and gets nice and low.

I’ve had step sliders. They’re nice when you need that protection as well as a good step. But they’re still way up there, especially if you’re lifted. Helps a little bit but not that much. Bette than nothing, I suppose.
Probably not. I rarely go offroading but when I do, I think sliders would give me a sense of comfort. I'm also looking to retire my 4runner from daily driver duties and make it my project vehicle so doing modifications will be part of the fun. So maybe I'll just wait until I get a new daily driver so my wife won't care as much. This might sound crazy as we don't have kids in the house, but I'm considering a minivan.

icediver

Observer
I’ve been happy with the white knuckle off off-road slider steps I put on my ‘18 4Runner. I don’t aggressively off-road this truck, but it gets used and the sliders have taken a few decent hits without flinching. And same story, the rest of the family needs the step feature.

The steps do collect a fair bit of mud if you’re spending hours driving muddy logging roads, but I don’t know what step wouldn’t.

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
We just installed the Westcott Designs 4runner rock sliders on my wife's new-to-us 2020 4runner TRD Pro. We got the zero degree rather than the 20 degree and the stepping surface. We got them for the rock sliding construction, but neither of us need to use it as a step. Still, we chose the zero degree, which sticks out much further than the 20 degree, to prevent parking lot door dings which her parking lot is known for. Won't stop them from pickups and taller SUVs, but most vehicles in that lot are crossovers at the tallest, so should stop most of those. Since we prefer to step all the way to the ground, and are both tall enough to do so, these stick out far enough that they will dirty up your pantleg if you go direct to the ground, but small price to pay for the offroad protection and the parking lot protection. And, as expected, the welds and finish on the Westcotts are top notch. They were super easy to put on myself so nothing one needs to take to a shop to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior