4Runner VS. GX470

JLee

Adventurer
Okay, ill rephrase. The Lexus owners manual, and indeed the sticker inside the fuel filler door say "premium fuel only."

It does, but I've ran 87 for the last few fillups. I've noticed no difference and if anything, fuel economy went up (though I was doing less super-short drives so that would change things). I figure the power rating isn't any more than the 4Runner/Tundra so it's not going to be that much different, plus I have yet to read a single solid reason on why it needs premium fuel.

p nut

butter
It does, but I've ran 87 for the last few fillups. I've noticed no difference and if anything, fuel economy went up (though I was doing less super-short drives so that would change things). I figure the power rating isn't any more than the 4Runner/Tundra so it's not going to be that much different, plus I have yet to read a single solid reason on why it needs premium fuel.

Same with me in the LC. "Premium Only." Our low grade is 85. Even WOT up mountain passes, noticed no pinging.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Same with me in the LC. "Premium Only." Our low grade is 85. Even WOT up mountain passes, noticed no pinging.

Nothing but low grade in our 07 Sequoia same engine zero issues. Though I recall it might - fuzzy memory bump the HP if I put premium grade in it. Not sure why anyone would need more power that thing is so over powered to start with my wife won't drive it. LOL

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
OUtside all the obvious stuff, there does seem to be a bit of a meaningful difference in the interior space. I couldn't put my finger on it, but when I was last in a GX, the passenger foot well seemed very confined- no such experience in the 4R. The 3rd row in the GX swings up to the sides, and can be removed pretty easily, if trips require more room. The 4R 3rd row folds down and raises the load floor. If you remove it, at minimum, you'd be staring at a partially un-clad cargo area. Otherwise, the Lexus is about 4" taller- might be important for garagability. The back seat of the GX has 2" more legroom. Luggage capacity in 5 seat configuration is 9 ft3 bigger, 5 ft3 bigger in 2 seat mode. All that height does buy you some cargo room.
As for premium fuel, the HP on the respective recom. fuels is slighlt higher in the GX, but a significan 30ftlb more in the lexus.

http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trim...1A0,USB60TOS072C0,USB60TOS072F0,USB60JDS052B0

sethro80

Adventurer
We love our GX, love the V-8 and all the Lexus quality and comfort. We would buy it all over again if given the chance.

Seth

Lexysandredrocks-11_zps7d3aa1f4.jpg

4Running

I was driving my 2007 4Runner Sport V6 as a daily driver up until a month ago. It's now got 108k miles and running strong. I've had 32's on it for most of its life: 265/70/17 Firestone AT's (31.7") for a couple years, then 255/75/17 Cooper AT3 (31.9"). The Coopers are the absolutely largest tires I could squeeze into the stock spare location. I don't think the tires greatly impacted the mpg or get up and go. If you want to go 33"+ then a regear (and lockers while you're at it) is probably worth it. My mileage took the hit (~14-17mpg) from the additional weight of the DeMello sliders, 6-piece BudBuilt steel skids, Shrockworks bumper/Warn winch, CBI rear bumper, Eezi-Awn roof rack w/awning & gear & Gobi ladder, the Radflo suspension (~2.75" lift) & Total Chaos UCAs & LCA's, etc. So if you're planning on towing or making her a fat pig, a V8 may be the way to go. That being said, I'm completely content with the 4.0L and would recommend to anyone. My only non-scheduled maintenance has been related to frozen brake calipers and replacement of 1 CV joint. X-Reas suspension sucks and doesn't last forever, so plan on replacing if it still has it. Trail Edition 4Runners give you rear e-locker, I believe. Limiteds give you leather memory seats and GX's give you nicest accommodations by far. If planning on heavily modding, I'd recommend 4Runner due to ample aftermarket support. Mechanical, items are reasonably interchangeable on the 120 series; however, far less vehicle specific aftermarket support means more customization to make things like bumpers etc fit on the GX. No matter which way you go, 4R vs GX or V6 vs V8, you'll be happy.

TeCKis300

Observer
I posted this awhile ago in another thread but hope it can help you here... I see a lot of people discounting the GX470 over the V8 4Runner. Having experienced both extensively, the win by far goes to the GX470. Quite a lot more substance there.

I've had both vehicles you mentioned. The LX470 is quite a bit larger and more functional than the 4runner for a family. I say this, because you may find that the 4th gen 4runner, while looking bigger on the outside, may actually be just about the same and possibly even smaller on the inside than your current forester. Blame it on the body on frame construction. The floor is quite high and the ceiling a bit low. To me, I had trouble being comfortable on long drives as the floor was high enough to compromise the seating position. With slightly taller 265/70/17s than stock, I average about 17-18 mpg with my '05 V8 4x4 Limited.

While I found the '05 in limited trim quite luxurious, my '06 LX470 is beyond reproach and I feel incredibly fresh after even a days drive. It has much more room given the width and height for my family of 4. And the tailgate makes the rear incredibly functional for impromptu meals and hanging out. My '06 has the exact same vvti V8 motor as the 4runner. I'm averaging about 14-16 mpg (again with slightly taller than stock 305/60/18s), or about 20% less mileage than the 4runner. The 4runner is MUCH more sprightly with this same motor, though the cruiser is no slouch. Earlier land cruisers with the non-vvti, or even early 4speed trannies will feel lumbering by comparision which might be okay coming from a forester.

There is a middle line between these choices which may suit your needs well. I'd encourage you to check out the GX470 (my parents have an '06 with same v8 motors as above). It's a 4runner with a much much better cabin. Larger in all respects as it's taller and supports a 3rd row (which you won't need and can easily take out, but makes for much more storage behind the 2nd row). The drivers seating position is waaaay better than the 4runner. And the suspension tuning is - people may not believe this - better and more supple than even my LX470 with advanced AHC suspension. Chalk it up to the 120 series more modern chassis design.

Side thought. I don't know if you like listening to music, but that's a big part for me on road trips. The GX470 Mark Levinson system is incredible. The Mark Levinson in my LX470 is great, but the system in the GX470 is THAT much better again.

I've done extensive road trips in all 3. I personally find the GX470 to be the best compromise as it's right sized, comfortable, sprightly, and immensely capable. Covering incredible distances without effort. The LX470 is larger and heavier duty. That's speaks for itself if you actually need that, but it's an additional burden on mpg, agility, etc, if you don't.

Best part of the GX470 is that it practically costs no more and possibly even less than an equivalent 4runner in the used car market. My parents got their GX470 after I got my 4runner. I was blown away by the differences and would have coughed up that extra $10k for new if I had realized what I was missing out on. Driving position, better seats, better view, quieter, more room to grow in, luxuries and amenities, auto leveling rear suspension (when you pile it full), manual transfer case, higher quality build....it's a no brainer in my mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman