4th gen 4Runner tire carrier

Seabee

I've been building a tire carrier for my 4R. Here is the latest pic of the last mock up I did this morning:

014.jpg

If anyone is interested here is the link of the whole build:

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19772

Seabee

please post more pix, and if you dont mind, a pic of how its mounted/bolted..

Here is the pic of how it's mounted. There are only 2 bolts in the pic but there are are 4 bolts down each side. The rest of the pics are in the build link I posted above.

051.jpg

Ric

Adventurer
awesome, thanks, I think I might try this in the spring.. please keep us posted as to how its holding up :smiley_drive:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Do you go on rocky trails much? I'd be worried that the carrier might "flex" forward and strike the back of the tailgate. How far away from the tailgate are the tire and gas cans?

I have to say, it looks like a great setup. Looks like you are able to retain the receiver hitch as well, is that right?

Seabee

Do you go on rocky trails much? I'd be worried that the carrier might "flex" forward and strike the back of the tailgate. How far away from the tailgate are the tire and gas cans?

I have to say, it looks like a great setup. Looks like you are able to retain the receiver hitch as well, is that right?

I head out to GWNF as often as I can. The trails get to be pretty rocky. I built this thing to be as stout as possible and still be light weight. To prove the durability to myself, I went around the HMMWV test track that is on my base a couple of times.......no flexy, no rattle. :). There is about 4 inches between the tailgate and the tire/cans.

The hitch is 100% retained. My departure angle hasn't been messed with either as the carrier supports sit a bit higher than the bottom of the hitch.

Come on Brother, it's Seabee built. :D

MiniGene

Do you have to use a long tongue? (I think that is the part that goes in the receiver??)

I like it a lot. I seems like a more affordable alternative to getting the all steel off road rear bumper.

Seabee

Do you have to use a long tongue? (I think that is the part that goes in the receiver??)

I like it a lot. I seems like a more affordable alternative to getting the all steel off road rear bumper.

I can use a standard ball mount. I'm glad you like it. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears