4wd lights

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
So I recently installed a white ball transfer case shifter into my 98 montero . After installing it I was finally able to shift into 4lo. I push down on the stick and push foreward.as soon as it engages 4lo all of the green and orange 4wd lights turn off. If I shift back to 4hi or 2wd the lights stay off. I have to turn off the truck in order to get the lights to come back on. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?

There is a vacuum line that attaches to the assembly when doing the swap. I'm not sure what it does, but make sure you reconnect. Might be the problem.

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
Ok , yea I saw that line and did reinstall it. What could that line possibly do? I thought it was a breather line since I don't see how there would be vacuum in the transfer case?

Maybe a breather line. I really have no clue what it does. As far as your orig problem, I'm not really sure. Sorry!

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
I drove around today in 4lo and I hit a bump and the lights came on and stayed on . But when I shifted back through the differnt gears the lights went out . So it seems that maybe over time it will correct itself.

GFO

Observer
Sounds like a loose/poor electrical connection. Where is the switch that triggers the wheel dash lights? I'd check there first.

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
Sounds like a loose/poor electrical connection. Where is the switch that triggers the wheel dash lights? I'd check there first.

My thoughts are that it has something to do with contact with the sensor. The lights don't flicker. It was like something made contact mechanically when I hit the bump. I'm thinking maybe the sensors are dirty or something like that. Once the lights are on they stay on until the gear selector position is changed. This only occurs after going into 4lo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman