4WD Not Working-1st gen 4runner

journey

Observer
I am looking to purchase a 1988 4runner. I found one I like about 4 hours from my house but the 4WD is not working. I have an email in with the owner asking what it does when he tries to engage it.

In the meantime, what could cause it not to work? What should I look for at a test drive related to the 4wd problem? i.e. leaking fluid, low fluid, etc.

It is a 22re with the automatic, 170,000 miles and manual hubs. He is asking $2000 as is. If there is a common problem with a simple fix I might take the time to go and see it. It is really nice otherwise. Steel rims, 32" tires, cd player, sunroof, and new front seats.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ission=&max_price=&cardist=409&standard=false

Last edited:

zidaro

Explorer
First decide if it is the t-case or an axle related problem- put it in 4x low and look under the truck while it is driving- is the front driveshaft turning? YES, your t-case works and you have a prob. at the axle or hubs. NO- t-case.
Axle may have lockout gear broken or the tiny 27spline inner axle may have broken. Jack front up, tcase in neutral, hubs locked, spin 1 tire- does other tire spin opposite direction? YES- driveline may be in tact. NO- something internal is disjointed(broken).

2K is the MAX I would pay unless that thing is cherry except for the problem. Here in CA you can pick one up for 2K any day of the week.
Autos are GUTLESS in the 22re, somewhat easy to switch to manual.
If your t-case works then all is good and cost is your time mostly. Start digging. These things are easy to work on (need tools/time/minimal brainpower/Chilton manual) so if you like this thing and it can be registered (smog) then buy it for a price you are cool with and fix the problems as you see fit.

zidaro

Explorer
Just looked at the ad. Body looks straight and other shots look mostly clean, thats a good thing. Just gotta run/drive it and see how it is????
Course, now everyone has a link to buy your toy ;)

journey

Observer
Thanks for the quick reply. I will check those things out if I make it to Orlando from Atlanta. I can find them closer but I really like the color combo, wheels and tires. There is a 85 much closer to me in expo white but I think the IFS will be better for what I am doing with it.

I know the auto will be dog slow but I want to do a diesel swap in a couple years when emissions are over. I think the auto will be fine then.

I'm sure no one on expeditionportal would steal a truck from under me.

journey

Observer
I asked the seller "What is it doing or not doing when you engage 4wd?"
To which he replied "It vibrates when I engage it."

I don't know what is vibrating. I sent him a more detailed question and I am hoping for a more detailed answer. I asked him if the driveshaft turns when it is in 4lo. I don't want to drive down there and have it be the transfer case. I'll start looking for other trucks in the meantime.

Someone is coming to look at it on Sunday so this may be a mute point if it sells. :mad:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
88 4Runner... looks like a 22RE... and should be a gear driven t-case - check that out and change fluids.

Hubs may be automatic or manual - check those and make sure both sides engage/disengage.

Vibration could also be the front drive shaft or u-joint... take a test drive!

Personally, the 22RE with the 5 speed is the way to go for a 1st Gen - avoid the auto and the 3.0 V6 if you can my friend.

Last edited:

Toyotero

Explorer
I had an 88 4Runner SR5 for 10 years. The previous owner told me that he had a problem with the 4WD. He said that it had auto hubs that engaged via a vacuum line that switched with the transfer case engagement. He didn't trust it because it didn't seem to work all the time. He replaced the hubs with manual Selectro hubs. I broke one, and replaced them with factory AISIN hubs. I never had a problem after that.

The swap was done like this. Very easy.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/autohub/

EDIT
Oops, it looks like that truck has AISIN manual hubs in the photos. Perhaps they are frozen up and don't engage? A rebuild is easy.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyot...ng-aisin-locking-hub-locking-hub-rebuild.html

About the vibration. That's likely front shaft u-joint like Dave said. Another easy fix... if that is the problem. If it doesn't vibrate in 2WD, they it likely is.

Definitely test drive it if you can.

Best of luck if you get it.

If you don't already have this, you should download it.

1988 Toyota 4-Runner & pickup Factory Service Manual:
http://granolaboy.net/temp/toyota_truck_and_4runner_88.pdf

Regards,

Toyotero

I am looking to purchase a 1988 4runner. I found one I like about 4 hours from my house but the 4WD is not working. I have an email in with the owner asking what it does when he tries to engage it.

In the meantime, what could cause it not to work? What should I look for at a test drive related to the 4wd problem? i.e. leaking fluid, low fluid, etc.

It is a 22re with the automatic, 170,000 miles and manual hubs. He is asking $2000 as is. If there is a common problem with a simple fix I might take the time to go and see it. It is really nice otherwise. Steel rims, 32" tires, cd player, sunroof, and new front seats.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ission=&max_price=&cardist=409&standard=false

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Those autos do not use the same transfer case as the manual trucks. I seem to recall that they are a chain driven case and not a gear driven case. The t/c's are more or less part of the transmission and not bolted on with an adapter ala' the way that the manual trans trucks are done. Inchworm does offer an adapter to go to the manual trans' t/c.

X2 on getting a Factory Service Manual. There is too much left out of the aftermarket repair manuals, I wouldn't waste my money on one. Can buy the FSM from your local dealer however they pay the same price for it that you will by calling Toyota corporate.

Moot btw, mute is silent. :)

journey

Observer
Moot btw, mute is silent. :)

Moot, of course.

The truck does have manual hubs. From what the owner says the 4wd will not engage. I think I will look at it but if the front driveshaft does not turn I will pass.
I had read that the TC was different on the autos and that it could complicate fixing a broken one. I can't just pick up a junkyard TC and swap it in.

There is another 4runner in Tampa I may look at as well. 1986, 22re, auto

Ive owned 12 cars in 12 years of driving, 7 of them have been manual. I would prefer the performance of a 5speed behind the 22re but I am trying to find the best overall truck for my money so I can keep it forever. If I buy an auto and need to swap in a 5speed I will, eventually. I really want a mercedes turbo diesel as soon as the 25 year emissions window passes.

austintaco

Explorer
I think you should check out the truck. If he's telling everyone that the 4wd doesn't work and it vibrates, most people are going to pass on it, and that lowers his market to sell it. That's an opportunity for you to come in and buy it for a better price.
However, you should be prepared to spend some time figuring out what the problem is, but you have built yourself a cushion in the purchase price.

I would also search for other 4runners for sale in cities along the way and around the area where the truck is located. Check Craigslist(use searchtempest.com), Cars.com, Autotrader, ebay, etc... and make your trip worthwhile.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
technique to see if the hubs are locking is to leave in 2WD, lock them, crawl under, and try to spin driveshaft. If its not letting you turn it then its a t case issue. Some eras of early 4 Runner (rare in 4 cyls though) have a vacuum front drive disconnect from the t case. That is usually where the problem is. Thought hubs get junked up and sticky easily and can easily be taken apart, cleaned, and rebuilt by anyone whos removed one before... Even if 1 fails the driveshaft will still spin..

when i bought my 89 the owner sadi the 4wd was not working. it was in pretty good shape so i thouhgt i would take a chance. brought it home and the previous owner before him had instsalled a body lift and the t-case shifter in the cab had slipped off the shifter coming out of the t-case. moral of the story; it may be worht a look. good luck

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I asked the seller "What is it doing or not doing when you engage 4wd?"
To which he replied "It vibrates when I engage it."

I don't know what is vibrating. I sent him a more detailed question and I am hoping for a more detailed answer. I asked him if the driveshaft turns when it is in 4lo. I don't want to drive down there and have it be the transfer case. I'll start looking for other trucks in the meantime.

Someone is coming to look at it on Sunday so this may be a mute point if it sells. :mad:

Sounds like idiot problem. Sounds like he is trying to drive it on pavement in 4wd.
I don't think the 4cyl got the the central disconnect. So if he isn't an idiot then it is probably blown Cardigan in the front driveshaft, auto hub or CV problem .

bmh

Adventurer
could also be a drive shaft issue... Either a u-joint failing or out of balance. When my u-joints were going, my 4runner was like a bucking bronco. I bought a new (customish) driveshaft and all was well. Since it only vibrates in 4wd, I would put money on the front DS being bad.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
When I purchased my last mini truck the front differential was full on blown. It was intimidating to attempt to replace but it cost next to nothing (people toss IFS diffs like it is going out of style. Shipping is usually more than the part) and in the end taking my time I replaced it in less than 1.5 hours. Also food for thought for some of the worst case scenario stuff (other than a possible blown transfer case, which is also not that big a deal).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears