4x4 Actuator problem/Flashing light.....BUT not the norm.

CSU126

Observer
I was hoping for some help. I was having the normal flashing light indicator on front axles. I started trouble shooting. The actuator itself is working fine. The freewheel engage switch is new. The vacuum solenoid valves are new. All the vacuum lines are tested and Fine. Solenoid valves are marked blue and yellow. I have even reversed the vacuum lines and the electrical connections and can duplicate my problem in reverse. For some unknown reason the blue solenoid valve is not operating correctly. When I reversed the plugs it does. My question is what controls the electrical signal? I am at a standstill. Thanks in advance.

Scott

RodB

When I had my 2001 Montero Limited (Full Size) at the dealership for a flashing C/D light they replaced the Freewheel Clutch Valve (MR430381) and Freewheel Clutch Switch (MR953767). I think you are looking for the switch. It is mounted on the front diff & is item 33 in the attached illustration. The dealer charged $36, looks like the internet OEM Mitsubishi parts sellers have them for around $27. Good Luck!

Front Diff.jpg

CSU126

Observer
I did replace that switch hondarod. Thats why I am so confused. When 4hi is selected the vacuum line that should be sucking its not. Engine running and 4 hi selected vacuum gauge reads 0. The second I turn off the vehicle the gauge shows stable vacuum in that line with the engine off. I dont know what that means. I am thinking maybe my ECU is messed up and not sending the proper signal to the vacuum solenoid. Problem is the old solenoid was acting like the new one. I cant see getting a brand new part from Mitsu and it be faulty JUST like the old one. Could I have fried my ECU somehow?

CSU126

Observer
Well I figured it out. After reading another forum about this issue I decided to check the 4x4 ECU connections. The stereo is an after market stereo. The installer grounded the stereo to the ground on the 4x4 ECU. Once I removed the stereo I tested the 4x4 system. Works just like it should. I rewired the stereo correctly and now no problems. I also now have my retractable antenna working.

jhill15

Explorer
Well I figured it out. After reading another forum about this issue I decided to check the 4x4 ECU connections. The stereo is an after market stereo. The installer grounded the stereo to the ground on the 4x4 ECU. Once I removed the stereo I tested the 4x4 system. Works just like it should. I rewired the stereo correctly and now no problems. I also now have my retractable antenna working.
Nice man! The p.o. must not have used the 4wd or he probably would have seen the issue...or maybe they just didnt care, sweet tunes no 4wd oh well! Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998