4x4 Ambo Conversion Opinions

rossiter78

Observer
Others on here put a cone to improve gas mileage.

I'm still waiting to see the super motivated EP junkie build a cab over bunk - like class C style.

Coachgeo

Explorer
....I forget who and where, but a guy once said just get a rolling shop chair like you’d use to work on something with the tray at the bottom for tools and loose screws and keep it in the ambo. That way you don’t have to stand.... you just roll around. Makes sense actually. ...
no no no.... don't ever claim what I say makes since.... cause I'm most always wrong.

But yeah.. that guy was probably me. Have mentioned that idea many times in various places. Was not my idea initially. The German Mercedes Unimog 404 Radio Box was designed that way back in the 60's. Two permanent chairs that slide in slots on the floor and could rotate like any old office swivel chair. Later a person like us building a camper out of an ex-"something else" took a 404 with radio box and put one chair: really a stool, and placed it just forward of the bed but permanently mounted in rear of box and then build the whole interior to be reachable from that stool. Least that I was told. Saw a pic of the interior from the rear once though. Sure seemed by bad pic thru the rear doors that this is what he did.

For inspiration on deciding what to place where when working from rolling chair in a build like this.. look at kitchens etc. of houses designed/remodeled for those who live in wheel chairs!!!

Coachgeo

Explorer
I'm thinking of using that for the solar panel.... So the only place left for solar is over the cab.
Use the solar Panel as a wind deflector to attempt to improve mileage.

wd600-aeroshield-wind-deflector_1908_detail__53530.1349271999.1280.1280.jpg

You can set this up to tilt to what ever degree you like, same as one above does. Sure picking best angle for wind deflection for aerodynamics to improve milage.... but when parked..... tilt it for aiming better aiming toward sun.

also consider solid awnings that tuck down over windows of the box... and flip up once parked. Why Solid awning???. so you can make it out of a solar panel.

dcg1080

I'm wondering if there wouldn't be a way to rig up a wind deflector that can be accessed on the sides for storage. I wouldn't think it would be much good for any heavy use (although the tires aren't light so if that's the use I imagine it will hold quite a bit), but it would be a pretty spacious area to shove a bigger tent or just others stuff that take up space I wouldn't want to lose elsewhere.

A solar panel could be installed on that as well.

dcg1080

Glad to see another NC'er, I have a 94 ambo (Flatliner) 4x4 McCoy Miller 7.3 Banks turbo 79,000 miles....just did a full gut and rewired the whole thing. Shore power and onboard generator, and added a roof ac.

Walls going up now.

Punisher do you have a thread I can follow? (I'm sure I should be able to find this on my own, but I just now figured out how to quote a post in my post... I've never had much use for forums in the past. Usually by this point in a forum we're all arguing the finer points why everyone is an idiot.) I'm interested in hearing more about your setup. I would like an onboard generator as well, probably moreso than solar power, and I actually haven't seen a ton of information about how people work that in.

dcg1080

I've seen the issue mentioned, but I haven't yet found a very thorough discussion on the topic. What did you guys do for tags and registration?

I've seen some suggest the commercial route. I may be overthinking it, but that seems like a nonstarter to me. There are lots of scenic routes in the US not open to commercial traffic. I've heard there are extra hoops to jump through to register as an RV. Anyone got personal experience with this?

rossiter78

Observer
I've seen the issue mentioned, but I haven't yet found a very thorough discussion on the topic. What did you guys do for tags and registration?

I've seen some suggest the commercial route. I may be overthinking it, but that seems like a nonstarter to me. There are lots of scenic routes in the US not open to commercial traffic. I've heard there are extra hoops to jump through to register as an RV. Anyone got personal experience with this?

Mine was pretty easy, but I may have been lucky.
First - insurance. I didn't find a way to get it insured without a fib somewhere. Either I fib and say it is less than 12k lbs, or I fib and make up a business name, business purpose, etc and go commercial. I went with the weight fib and insured it with my car and truck. Insurance was cheap too - my 2009 ambulance was less expensive than my 2007 Tundra.

For registration I certainly got lucky. The DMV didn't really seem to know what to do about it. The first lady gave me the standard routine - emissions test, proof of insurance, and vin check. Once all that was done I took it back in and the lady didn't know what codes to use, had to check with other people, wanted the actual weight, original MSRP, and other stuff I didn't have. So, I went the smiling face route. Told her about how much fun my 3 year old had camping in it, showed her cute pictures of him, etc. Then asked how I could help. In the end she did some google searches and made up numbers based on what she found. She wasn't quick about it at all and for a lot of if she wasn't even telling me what she was doing. Didn't matter- it was clear she was trying to make it work. Now I have an ambulance for <$90 / year. Boom! (y)

rossiter78

Observer
Use the solar Panel as a wind deflector to attempt to improve mileage.
I LOVE this idea.
I use my ambo for stealth camping too. Adding solar is a sure sign that it isn't an ambulance, but a conversion. With this cover it isn't clear what it is. If I saw my ambo with that, I would assume it is some new technology that I just haven't seen yet.
Where did you get the cover and adjustable stand?

Punisher do you have a thread I can follow? (I'm sure I should be able to find this on my own, but I just now figured out how to quote a post in my post... I've never had much use for forums in the past. Usually by this point in a forum we're all arguing the finer points why everyone is an idiot.) I'm interested in hearing more about your setup. I would like an onboard generator as well, probably moreso than solar power, and I actually haven't seen a ton of information about how people work that in.
I tired to start a thread, but I can not upload pics here( stupid photobucket) so I have one at the Carolina shooters forum under the garage forum.

Coachgeo

Explorer
I tired to start a thread, but I can not upload pics here( stupid photobucket) so I have one at the Carolina shooters forum under the garage forum.
You can post pictures here.... just attach them to this board from your harddrive. you do not need a picture hosting site..... and if you had one... you should never use it for posting pics anyway.

Being your new here you may though need a few more post though before your allowed to "attach" a pic to here. Just a spam protection thing. Default is often five post before being allowed to attach pics. Not sure if it is set on default here or a few more.

Coachgeo

Explorer
I LOVE this idea.
I use my ambo for stealth camping too. Adding solar is a sure sign that it isn't an ambulance, but a conversion. With this cover it isn't clear what it is. If I saw my ambo with that, I would assume it is some new technology that I just haven't seen yet.
Where did you get the cover and adjustable stand?
that photo was intended to be just a sample Idea .. it is a generic deflector NON solar. But one could probably build a non curved solar flat one to act as a deflector. Mount panel on a strong backboard behind with hinges and triangulated adjustable supports in the same way the generic deflector is built. Whala...... solar wind deflector.

Guess one could get fancy and use a generic deflector like the one in the pic and put a number of flexible sheets of solar on it? Probably would take several to many to get a lot of cells onto a deflector with compound curves

dcg1080

that photo was intended to be just a sample Idea .. it is a generic deflector NON solar. But one could probably build a non curved solar flat one to act as a deflector. Mount panel on a strong backboard behind with hinges and triangulated adjustable supports in the same way the generic deflector is built. Whala...... solar wind deflector.

Guess one could get fancy and use a generic deflector like the one in the pic and put a number of flexible sheets of solar on it? Probably would take several to many to get a lot of cells onto a deflector with compound curves

Not sure if it would be worth it cost-wise, but I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to buy a stock deflector like that and remove the plastic plate to mount a solar panel. Basically would be buying the mount, but if it's got tilt and other capabilities that are worthwhile it might be a lot more cost effective (from a time standpoint) than making your own. I imagine making some mounting hardware wouldn't be all that difficult.

dcg1080

Has anyone managed to get away with not using propane in a conversion without making pretty significant sacrifices in comfort or function? I know it may sound crazy, but I would just rather not mess with the stuff if I can avoid it. I'm not really sure how that would look though.

I can think of a few semifunctional workarounds, but really in the end I think it would all come down to a generator and electric appliances that only worked when the generator was running. Unless there are better solutions out there.

Maybe I'm just overthinking the whole driving around with multiple pressurized tanks of highly flammable gas? I know it's done all the time, but I think it would be something always just nibbling a bit at the back of my mind.

I went with propane for a lot of reasons, cleaner burning, no gas smell, and most of all no worrying about carb gumming up with nasty gas......plus propane has a longer shelve life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears