4x4 Ambulance Conversion - Expedition Ready!

gringorick

Adventurer
SOLD SOLD SOLD

I have decided to sell my rig.... it hurts, but it must be done. I just bought a Class A motorhome and we are going to do the full-time RV life for awhile, so our awesome Amby needs to find a new home. Here is the Ebay link...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x4-Ambulan...705aa299:g:5jsAAOSw65FXtGGF&item=182273614489

If you know anyone in the market for a completely expedition-ready, fully prepped adventure vehicle, please pass along the info.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
That's a very nice ambo conversion. A lot of the ones I see are total bodge jobs, but that is well thought out.

gringorick

Adventurer
Very nice rig! What is the interior ceiling height? Thanks.

Thanks Richard, she has served us very well for the last 3 years.

It is not a high top box. It has a low profile, which has been more of a benefit for us than a negative. The low roof height has allowed us to get into some pretty awesome camping spots that had low trees, etc. that we would not have been able to get into otherwise.

With that being said, the ceiling at the interior step is 6'0". This is where I stand if I really need to do something inside that requires full standing, which over the last few years honestly wasn't very often. The rest of the ceiling varies from 5'3" to 5'0" depending on the contour of the original ambulance ceiling. Most everything we do in the camper, we do sitting down. The majority of the time we are at camp, we are outdoors, and it wasn't much of an issue for us at all over the last 3 years. We love to BBQ and eat outside, and just hang out under the awning or the stars enjoying the great outdoors. During the times when we did have to hangout indoors, like a few times in Patagonia when it was super windy outside, a roll-around shop stool makes it really simple to scoot around from the stove, to the sink, to the fridge, etc, without ever having to stand up. It worked very well for us, but your mileage may vary.

Installing a popup on this vehicle would also be an option if someone wanted to add more headroom and even a second bed.

If you have any more questions, please ask.

Cheers,
Rick

cleansweep

Observer
Hey that's a very sweet Ambulance setup!............Could you tell me where you got the screen doors for the side entrance? Also wondering about the spare tire rack on the cab roof....Can you tell me what brand etc that is? It looks rugged and sized very nicely

gringorick

Adventurer
Hey that's a very sweet Ambulance setup!............Could you tell me where you got the screen doors for the side entrance? Also wondering about the spare tire rack on the cab roof....Can you tell me what brand etc that is? It looks rugged and sized very nicely

I had the roof rack custom fabricated and then powder coated. It is pretty awesome, and yes, very strong. The tires mount using the same lug nuts as on the rims so there is no need for extra tools when changing a tire, just a lug wrench, and they are very secure in even the harshest terrain. No rattles, no noise.

We found the screen door online, but my GF bought it and I don't know exactly where. Sorry.

cleansweep

Observer
Nice Ambo!

Thanks for the info on the roof rack. The E450 Ambulance I purchased is now at Agile Offroad being converted to 4x4. I have another question for you if you don't mind;
Do you know what your rig weighs?
What wheel/tire set up do you have?
Mine weighs 11800 total and will increase probably to 13000 by the time I am finished and my bike is loaded (Suzuki DRZ 400)........I am trying to decide on a good tire size and whether to convert from dual wheels in back to singles
Thanks man for your help!...........I hope your rig finds a new home soon...at your asking price it's a great deal!

gringorick

Adventurer
Your amby is gonna be awesome and you are going to love the 4x4 capabilities. We can go just about anywhere in ours!

My rig weighs in just under 10k lbs fully loaded with all our gear, 2 people, and all tanks full.

I am running the stock wheels 16x7 with 285x75R16 tires. Specs call for 60psi up front and 80psi in the rear, which works well for pavement. Offroad I usually air down for comfort and for driving on the beach, etc.

I am not sure about converting from DRW to SRW, as my ambulance was originally built as a single rear wheel vehicle, but it does have a dually rear-end, with the larger brakes, drums, etc.

There are a few threads here that I remember reading awhile back that discuss converting to single rear wheels.

Good luck,
Rick

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
FYI, I Recently saw a similar screen door at the 'Dollar' store... it was only a few bucks, but I couldn't think of a use for it at the time. The nice thing about them is you dog can go in and out without flying critters. A friend with a large Lab uses one rather than a dog door... since a person could just about walk through any door his dog would fit through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears