4x4 Duramax/Alaskan Camper Flatbed Build

ripperj

Explorer
Fantastic job. The original configuration was definitely wonky, but made a great starting point.
I haven’t seen the front hydraulic cylinders enclosed before, did it come like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Big Greener

Fantastic job. The original configuration was definitely wonky, but made a great starting point.
I haven’t seen the front hydraulic cylinders enclosed before, did it come like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, enclosed like that is how I got it. I think that became standard from the factory on the newer models at some point.

Nailhead

That’s ************— nice work!

We did pretty much the same thing to support mine:

ce125cfcc13e464b3bcfebd83183dc5a.jpg

Although I like you the way you secured your frame to the truck much better.

I’m not much for that flatbed camper configuration, though (as much as I like the clean look), because I’d have to forego my boxes:

12d75f1ab00526afe387da530342e708.jpg

There’s no way I could do without that storage space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Greener

As I mentioned before, there was no sink in the camper when we bought it. Also, no water tank, no water pump, etc. Apparently you don't need water for a mobile-HAM station? Anyways, I opted to go with a 26 gallon tank from Barker Manufacturing. The dimensions allowed it to fit under one of the dinette benches, and 26 gallons of water, with the ability to have another 7.5 carried externally, seemed like a good amount for the type of use we were planning. As far as sinks went, I wanted something smallish, in order to take up as little cabinet space as possible. I found drop in model with an 11x11 basin and one faucet hole on Amazon, and ordered it up.

IMG_8098.jpg
The sink came with a template, although it proved to be a little undersized...

IMG_8099.jpg
I proceeded to do a crappy job of cutting the hole. The template didn't allow for the brackets along the sides where the mounting hardware attaches, so I had to get creative to make it fit.... It's ugly, but I guess you'll never see it...

IMG_8100.jpg
I wound up using a flexible drain kit from Home Depot to make the connection from the trap through the top shelf. Seems to fit pretty well, but time will tell if it will eventually leak...

IMG_8102.jpg
The boss keeping an eye on me to make sure I wasn't screwing something up...

One of the other weird things about our camper was no roof vent. Most Alaskan Campers have two...ours had none... Another interesting special order choice by the PO. I considered ctting a hole in the roof to install a MaxxAir fan, but was concerned about the potential lack of structure in the roof construction, since there was no fan in mind when it was built. I was also a bit freaked out about cutting a hole in the dang roof! After I mulled it over, I decided that not having any roof penetrations was actually a positive thing, from a longevity-perspective. If a camper is going to develop a leak, it's almost always around a vent or window, so maybe my rig is a little more leakproof than most? Still, I needed ventilation in the camper, especially when sleeping or cooking. I tried numerous small 12V battery-powered fans, but they were not up to the task, and simply pushed the hot air around the camper, without actually venting anything. After a weekend of mulling it over, I came up with a solution. I found a 12" 12V radiator fan off Amazon, and confirmed that it put out some righteous CFM (would move a lot of air). Then, using a discarded yard sign, I cut a template to fit into the window track behind the stove/oven. Once I was satisfied with the fit, I transferred the design onto a piece of ACM (the same stuff I used to deck the flatbed) and mounted the fan into it.

IMG_8034.jpg
I wired the fan up to a 12V plug, which is controlled by a 12V speed controller installed in the overhead cabinet. Having infinitely variable speed control seemed like a cool idea. I then added a switch to the circuit which I installed in the cabover, near the bed. If it starts feeling muggy while you're sleeping, flip the switch and vooooosh! Inbound fresh air. Because it's mounted near the stovetop, it will vent out any smoke/fumes from cooking too.

IMG_8035.jpg
Doesn't look half bad mounted up either, and it moves a ton of air without being too loud. When it's not needed, I keep it under one of the dinette benches, out of the way. In my opinion, a far better option than cutting a hole in the roof!

pigsammy

What an awesome rig!

I have a few other projects to complete, then I plan something similar for a 3/4 ton truck I have. Definitely will use your build as an inspiration.
Looking forward to updates.

Big Greener

Let's talk awnings! From the factory Alaskan offers a Fiamma which provides cover to one side -or- the rear of the camper, depending on where you opt to have it mounted. I wanted more coverage, and was inspired by fellow Alaskan owner John who had mounted a 270* "batwing" awning on the rear of his camper. I ordered a version from OVS (well-reviewed, and did not require legs) from Amazon.

1663776931781.jpeg

Taking a page out of John's book, I mounted the awning to the rear ussing 2x6 steel tubing I had to make two brackets. I didn't get pictures of these unfortunately, but I drilled them to be bolted to the camper using the existing bolts for the hydraulic rams which raise/lower the camper top. Once they were bolted to the camper, I bolted the awning to the brackets. Fits great, and looks good too!

1663777132405.jpeg

The first deployment was in the driveway to verify everything worked as designed

1663777215132.jpeg
1663777231256.jpeg
1663777245130.jpeg

The awning provides awesome coverage around most of the camper's rear and sides. Deployment is pretty easy too. Getting it back into the bag for departure is a bit of a hassle, but I suspect I'll get better at it the more I do it...

Here are some shots "in the wild" of the awning

1663777360228.jpeg
1663777396614.jpeg
1663777409248.jpeg

Overall I'm quite happy with the results!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online