4x4 really necessary?

motorman

as with some i am already thinking of a camper version 2.0
our 4x4 ambulance is great but does have its limitations and compromises
will eventually want something for family travel w/ my adult children and soon to be grandchildren

looking for a medium duty truck that is a crew cab and mechanical engine
so this means a 1995 or older
and most likely an international truck

these are readily available on the open market with a mechanical DT 466 w/ a P-pump and sometimes even a 7 speed manual trans

by time you put a 16' morgan box on an international 4700, 4800 or 4900 you are fast approaching 29' or even 30' overall length
our 4700 4x4 ambulance is 22' -23'

so now the question
is 4x4 really necessary for solo travel?
would a manual trans, high clearance, aggressive tires and rear locker be enough?

a truck this big and long is not going to be in terrible conditions but general FS roads w/ sections of mud due to rain

and a MD 4x4 conversion will bang its head on 20k +++ pretty quickly

thanks for your input

Korey H

It all just depends right?!?!

We’ve certainly used ours, even in as simple of places as Harvest Hosts soft grassy areas. Not to mention getting to those sweet high clearance off grid sites.

Our friends ended up renting a class C last year to follow along and buried it at a Harvest Host on their way home… 2k towing (insurance covered).

I’m fairly cautious in our near 20k lb rig, but if only 2wd I’d be REALLY careful. And certainly have a winch and extra recovery gear.

Again… all just depends. I sure appreciate the insurance of the 4x.

Ours is on IG @wehartstravel. 127 nights last year and currently in Guatemala so far this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HazeltheMooseWagon

Hi there Motorman. I like the direction you’re headed, looking for a 4700 International crew cab. That mechanically injected DT466 is a legendary engine. I have one in a 1995 International school bus that I just swapped an 8LL Roadranger into. The bus is an 11-window and is 33’ long overall. I’ve always wanted to build a 4700 crew cab, but with a family of 9, it would be too small in the cab area.

I think the 2-wheel drive would get you to most places you want to go with the right tires and weight distribution. Wider tires to keep the front from sinking and more weight behind the rear axle would give the drive tires better traction. I plan on putting 395/85r20 Goodyear MVTs and bead-locks on the bus so I can lower tire pressure when needed and increase traction. I may eventually do a 4x4 conversion, but not before I test the limits with my travel style in 2x4 first.

alanymarce

Where do you want to go? I've seen 2x4 taxis and 'buses in very remote areas of Africa, Asia, and South America.

skyfree

I do most of my "overlanding" in 2wd. 4wd is needed in snow, sand, mud, and deep soft obstacles. It's also necessary when I need a lower gear ratio to navigate obstacles that require a very low speed. So as always, it depends whether you expect to encounter those types of conditions. I always end up needing 4wd low on all of my trips, but I don't stick to maintained roads.

Superduty

Adventurer
Necessary for the places I like to go, maybe not necessary for the places you like to go? As others have said it all depends. I think you need to think hard about what your destinations will be and make a decision based on that. Will you one day have a desire to go to more remote and difficult to access places?

heimbig

OnTheRoadAtLast
You mention Forest Service roads and sounds like you plan to be in North America? so I'm not clear why you want an older mechanical truck.
But on to your question. The answer is it all depends. Every vehicle has limitations. if it gets muddy and you have 2WD (well or 4WD) and you just cannot go you need options - Wait a day or two for the mud to clear, use a winch, MaxTrax, branches (please remove them when done), or go another way. You will always find a track where it is too muddy to travel - with 2WD that will just happen sooner - but you have options (just mentioned) that you will need whether you are 2WD or 4WD. And if you think it cannot be done read about Dot Becker driving her RWD Ford van from Europe to Zimbabwe down the west coast of Africa. Of course, Dot is one of the best off road drivers I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Fadeagray

I very seldom use 4x4 but, use 2WD low range regularly to control speed over rough sections and for climbing. For that reason alone, I would go with a 4x4 transfer case.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
looking for a medium duty truck that is a crew cab and mechanical engine
so this means a 1995 or older
and most likely an international truck

these are readily available on the open market with a mechanical DT 466 w/ a P-pump and sometimes even a 7 speed manual
Our shop maintains multiple fire departments that run corn binders for their mainline brush trucks, international has access to all the parts needed to convert a used truck to 4x4, or you can search for used brush trucks and modify one to suit your needs.

Whichever way you go I have to commend your choice of truck and power train, DT466 is honestly the best medium duty diesel engine ever built and will surely outlast your use.

4x4tripping

Adventurer
Where do you want to go? I've seen 2x4 taxis and 'buses in very remote areas of Africa, Asia, and South America.

The travel destination really dont matters.

I can see overlander/vanlifers getting stuck on grass meadows in switzerland or at sand at spain.

If you life in your van, and if you like to sleep remote from time to time, you can get stuck in your homecountry too.

A 4x4 enables you to get the more remote, probably the nicer spots. Probably even so far, that that less people will join at night.

As we all did see a vw beatle with attached trailer doing a worldtrip we know we do NOT NEED 4x4 for doing the same.

But 4x4 let us do the more offroad related stuff. It enables us "at least" to get 50m far - to enter a hill or hide ourself better :) An important part for quiet nights - at international trips abroad.

vw-kaefer-transafrica-wohnwagen-herbie-weltreise.jpg

trippin

motorman

thank you all for engaging in the question and sharing your experience & opinion

spent the weekend in the Smokies enjoying the perfect camping weather
clear blue skies
cold crisp nights

motorman

It all just depends right?!?!

We’ve certainly used ours, even in as simple of places as Harvest Hosts soft grassy areas. Not to mention getting to those sweet high clearance off grid sites.

Our friends ended up renting a class C last year to follow along and buried it at a Harvest Host on their way home… 2k towing (insurance covered).

I’m fairly cautious in our near 20k lb rig, but if only 2wd I’d be REALLY careful. And certainly have a winch and extra recovery gear.

Again… all just depends. I sure appreciate the insurance of the 4x.

Ours is on IG @wehartstravel. 127 nights last year and currently in Guatemala so far this year.

thanks Korey

ive been thinking about this a while
you trip report (months on the road) and number of times you engaged 4x4 keeptme thinking
solo recovery of a 20k lb rig has me pensive with only 2WD
real world experience of a dog nose similar rig is appreciated

motorman

Hi there Motorman. I like the direction you’re headed, looking for a 4700 International crew cab. That mechanically injected DT466 is a legendary engine. I have one in a 1995 International school bus that I just swapped an 8LL Roadranger into. The bus is an 11-window and is 33’ long overall. I’ve always wanted to build a 4700 crew cab, but with a family of 9, it would be too small in the cab area.

I think the 2-wheel drive would get you to most places you want to go with the right tires and weight distribution. Wider tires to keep the front from sinking and more weight behind the rear axle would give the drive tires better traction. I plan on putting 395/85r20 Goodyear MVTs and bead-locks on the bus so I can lower tire pressure when needed and increase traction. I may eventually do a 4x4 conversion, but not before I test the limits with my travel style in 2x4 first.

been keeping my eyes on your progress Hazel . . .
the 8LL is absolutely the way to go
would certainly be a full monkey cage with 9 but i know how fun it is to be in a large family, im 1 of 6 kids
they will be richer for it

your remark about testing the limits is what i am apprehensive about
miles from help with possibly nothing to winch against have me rethinking NOT having 4x4

motorman

Necessary for the places I like to go, maybe not necessary for the places you like to go? As others have said it all depends. I think you need to think hard about what your destinations will be and make a decision based on that. Will you one day have a desire to go to more remote and difficult to access places?

exactly!
thanks for keeping me on track

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman