4x4 Toyota Truck // Chinook Pop-Top Conversion Build

turbotommy

Observer
I love the fact that the chinooks are easy to sleep in with the top up or down .my previous toyota was a 1985 4Runner and I wish I used the cab of one of those as the roof has a sharp 90 down to accomidate the removable roof.this would have made mounting the Chinook easier than with the stock reg cab truck . Your goin to love the truck for sure ,I'm excited to see a extended cab Chinook!

wrecked

Great build. I had to join and subscribe to the thread when you mentioned bike packing in the PNW. I just finished the Boundary Trail from Mt. Adams to Mt. St. Helens. I've also recently ditched building my Dakota to build my '85 Toyota turbo diesel into an expo/bike race support camp rig.
Do you have plans for bike transportation or is that not a concern on this rig?

Gabriel Amadeus

Nice! I'd love to see your route between the two mountains. I'm probably going to do a north shore style rack on a big pivot like a Blazer spare tire.

Gabriel Amadeus

Got the bugger together last week! It actually plopped on pretty smoothly. All 8 attachment points lined up perfectly and there's a good buffer space behind and over the cab.

Any suggestions on suspension/wheel/tire upgrades? I know there's a billion options out there. I'd like to maybe lift it a bit since the back is so long and not sure if giving it a bit wider wheelbase would be smart since it's way more top heavy now.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Waa--hoo...maybe the first Xtra cab 'Nook!

With suspension, I would focus more on support than height. I wish I were a bit lower with my combo. I have quite a bit of rear overhang as well, with an 8-foot camper (what's your floor length?).

There are quite a few ways to get more support. I went with some inexpensive half-leaf helper springs that just bolt on, but some airbags might be nice. The ZUK coil mod is also an option.

I'm not a fan of big tires for heavily-loaded Yoats. They just make the brakes and powertrain less effective. I won't go bigger than 30x9.50 any more.

refried

Adventurer
Looks nice, Can't wait to see it finished. My Father had a couple Chinooks in the 70's/80's and after I built my truck I thought a 4wd Chinook would be great, Even better with a V6 ( thought they were terribly under powered). I've been looking for a good shell for a while, but theyre either too nice to cut up, or rotted.

I recently installed a set of Old Man Emu springs on a solid axle Toyota and I was really impressed with the quality. They sell them in roughly 2" lift or stock height and there are three spring rates available for the rear. Oh, and they were $100 each!! Can't beat that price, especially for the quality.

forty2

Adventurer
I wasn't aware they were still in business.... interesting..

Good old No Warranty Or Return. They've got a well deserved rep as a **** place to send your money. It's been ten years I've been waiting on torsion bars or a refund. I do live considerably closer these days though, maybe I should pay them a visit...

bkg

Explorer
Good old No Warranty Or Return. They've got a well deserved rep as a **** place to send your money. It's been ten years I've been waiting on torsion bars or a refund. I do live considerably closer these days though, maybe I should pay them a visit...

Been 19 years waiting on refund for a poorly setup diff... I'm sure it will arrive any day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan