4x4 Trailer Ld - Picking up TOMORROW :)

Spargman

Adventurer
I was fortunate enough to find a 4x4 Limited Trailer on the east coast...and only 45min away!!

This trailer appears to be in incredible condition and per the current owner (who it was built for), the trailer was never used. This trailer sat in a warehouse for about 10yrs and all the electrical components work!

With regards to the entire axle (including electric brakes), my thought was to bring it home, take it apart and check the bearings/grease etc. This is my first trailer, so I'm not really sure what i should be looking for...any recommendations?

Unless the bearings are dry, I would imagine just repacking them would make them good as new. Is this false thinking?

Any recommendations for maintenance? (apologies for the general nature of the question)

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Do a good general inspection, both outside and underneth...I'd bring a couple of things...

A 12v compressor, including a lug wrench, air gauge a Slime heavy duty tire patch/plug kit, a jack that will reach (maybe one in the TV?)

Some extra 12/14 gauge wire with electrical connecters of varying color and design....electrical tape...sandpaper/wirebrush(small) 12v test light.....do a double check of all wiring systems for turn/brake/marker

Grease gun.....bearing grease...rags, and what ever level of tools and sockets you feel comfortable bringing. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Drive a couple of miles, pull over, feel both sides of the bearings caps(carefully...they could be very hot and seriously burn you if something is cammed up). If they are not hot...go maybe 10-15 miles and repeat...be sure to find a safe pull off. Be aware of any sway...you may have to add tongue weight to be safe. Go slow at first to get a feel for what it wants to do.

Congratz...looking forward to the pics!

Spargman

Adventurer
Do a good general inspection, both outside and underneth...I'd bring a couple of things...

A 12v compressor, including a lug wrench, air gauge a Slime heavy duty tire patch/plug kit, a jack that will reach (maybe one in the TV?)

Some extra 12/14 gauge wire with electrical connecters of varying color and design....electrical tape...sandpaper/wirebrush(small) 12v test light.....do a double check of all wiring systems for turn/brake/marker

Grease gun.....bearing grease...rags, and what ever level of tools and sockets you feel comfortable bringing. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Drive a couple of miles, pull over, feel both sides of the bearings caps(carefully...they could be very hot and seriously burn you if something is cammed up). If they are not hot...go maybe 10-15 miles and repeat...be sure to find a safe pull off. Be aware of any sway...you may have to add tongue weight to be safe. Go slow at first to get a feel for what it wants to do.

Congratz...looking forward to the pics!

Thanks Titan, great ideas and intel! I'll take a few pics tomorrow and post them up when I get home!

Anything unique about the grease for these bearings? (i believe the frame is a LV416)

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Thanks Titan, great ideas and intel! I'll take a few pics tomorrow and post them up when I get home!

Anything unique about the grease for these bearings? (i believe the frame is a LV416)

Your very welcome...not too many things as exciting as a new expo trailer....

As far as the grease,I don't think so....I'd just get a good quality, at your local NAPA or Autozone. Lowes actually had the some nice combination Slime Tire Repair kits, with caps, valve guts, small air pressure gauge, and plug kits(two different sizes) including the tool and glue

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
Foregive my ignorance here... but how about the connection to the vehicle... is it a ball coupler (odd size)... pintle or ??
Will there be a need for a drop (or raised) ball platform ??

CONGRATS !!

Curt

Spargman

Adventurer
Yes I got it!!

No pics though...as soon as I got back, my newly installed hydroboost conversion started to leak out of the hydro unit. it's one of two things, a new unit or it just doesn't like synthetic (trying conventional tomorrow). I'm heading back to the garage tomorrow to fix it up and I'll take some photos.

I did have a problem though...the entire 45min ride to the garage from picking up the trailer, the electric brakes get actuating on/off whenever I went uphill...sometimes as many as x5 in one minute. I have a brand new P3 and it wasn't registering any voltage ...but I definitely felt the brakes pulse somewhat regularly. It does however register voltage whenever I depress the brake pedal.

I pulled over twice to check everything and it seemed fine. I had my cousin drive slowly and I walked next to it as he hit the brakes...everything seems to work.

Any idea why the brakes would kick in randomly??

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Did you calibrate the controller once hooked to the trailer?

Setting itself off going uphill would lead me in that direction.

May be a good idea to crawl under and double check all connections at the hubs. Is there a break away emergency brake?.....that could be causing an issue also.

Spargman

Adventurer
Did you calibrate the controller once hooked to the trailer?

Setting itself off going uphill would lead me in that direction.

May be a good idea to crawl under and double check all connections at the hubs. Is there a break away emergency brake?.....that could be causing an issue also.

Yes, calibrated it upon hookup. When we noticed it surging going uphill we reduced the sensitivity as low as it could go...no change.

I don't think there is an emergency brake. I check the lines and everything seemed ok...but we'll dive in again tomorrow.

Spargman

Adventurer
found a post on diesel forum that seems identical to mine...in his case, the unit was defective.

I emailed the manuf with the detail and we'll see what they say!

For tomorrow, I'll put up some pics!!

D

Deleted member 43491

I seem to remember my grandfather having problems with his electric brake system a few years back... And if i remember correctly it turned out to be something to do with how his electrical system was wired( I think it was the plug was miss wired )that it had to be changed for the new trailer he was pulling...

This maybe be way out in left field thinking but And this is purely a guess from the little i know about electronics and vehicles... But is it possible that it has something to do with how much power the brakes are drawing?? I am just thinking about the amount of juice used vs produced and stored? The whole dimming head lights thing as you go up a hill? IE vehicle drawing increased amounts of juice going up hill and then as a result either over or under powering the brakes and causing them to activate?? Just a thought and again i don't know that much about electric systems but it kinda makes sense to me!

Thought about it last night and it would make more sense especially if the brakes are engaged when it is unplugged.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spargman

Adventurer
found a post on diesel forum that seems identical to mine...in his case, the unit was defective.

I emailed the manuf with the detail and we'll see what they say!

For tomorrow, I'll put up some pics!!

Ok, an update :(

Unfortunately my brand new $450 AC Delco hydroboost is leaking...that of course after my brand new Master Cylinder (for the hydroboost conversion) was leaking and I had to cut and reflare three pipe ends...that on top of a few other things had my stress meter on high and i forgot to take photos!!

I'm heading up to Boston tomorrow so unfortunately i won't be able to take photos until next week.

Apologies for the delay folks, hang tight!!

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
You Sir...are in some big AS S trouble!!

:ylsmoke:

Sorry to hear about the other problems, but it's comforting to see you at least have your priorities straight....and got the trailer!

Good luck with the truck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger