4X4 Van Guru's I need advice

goin camping

Explorer
Hi All,

Doing the research on two choices for a desert camping rig and it's down to a Suburban or a 4X4 Ford van.

I'm finding a fair number or 4X4 Ford vans out here in Calif that have Quigley conversions in passenger configuration. These are in the 1978 to 1983 model years with either a 351 or 460 engine.

What is the reliabilty of these engines and their usual life time in miles and are there known weak spots I need to check?

Any hints or advice you have is very welcome.

Thanks

goin camping

Explorer
Is your main concern the engine or suspension?

Both really, We've been exploring the desert for years but in diesel trucks or trucks with Chevy engines. I just have no knowledge about these vans other than I like the concept.

We will be using the rig for desert exploration on pretty rough dirt roads or cross country but not rock crawling type of stuff.

blupaddler

Conspirator
I am still learning a bunch with these older vans... mine is an 1988.

But the 460 tends to be a little thirsty, although I am averaging 10 mpg. I have heard they can go as low as 7 mpg. The power is good, but I have been told they don't like high rpms.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
My old van was 351w with 440k on the clock when the tranny died. I then sold the motor to guy who put it in a box style bronco and is still driving it around today (3 years later). I have also seen 460s with high miles and no issues. As long as your not afraid of doing a little maintainence I would not be scared of the older vans.
Derek

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Aftermarket support is extremely limited for us van guys, even worse on the 75-91 vans. In the suspension dept, you'll find the limitations of the Quigley fairly quick with what you plan to do. No easy remedies either unless you want to fabricate everything from scratch.

As stated above, the older engines are thirsty, but reliable!!

goin camping

Explorer
Aftermarket support is extremely limited for us van guys, even worse on the 75-91 vans. In the suspension dept, you'll find the limitations of the Quigley fairly quick with what you plan to do. No easy remedies either unless you want to fabricate everything from scratch.

As stated above, the older engines are thirsty, but reliable!!

Thirsty is OK since the engines are reliable.

Tell me more about the limitations of a 4x4 van.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
I am not sure what quigley used in the late 70s and early 80s on their conversions. But if it is a pathfinder with the dual track bars it needs to be redone as soon as you get it.
What ever it is at that age it would probably be best to just plan on replacing the bushings in the front end right off the bat.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Thirsty is OK since the engines are reliable.

Tell me more about the limitations of a 4x4 van.

Mainly the limited suspension travel, sensitive steering/trac bar design that can cause death wobble, etc. Replacement parts can be harder to find as well.

I'm not grouping all 4x4 vans together, just the van you mentioned.

the boogie van

its not uncommon for a well maintained 460 to go 400k miles. they are awesome engines, and well suited to a van. very torquey low end power and they take up less space than a diesel (well, not much). the transmission would be a bigger concern for me, adequate cooling is crucial. the E4OD in later ones is much more spotty on reliability.

i've got a 91 with an EFI 460 and E4OD, 235k on the clock (original drivetrain) 33s, 3.55 gears and i get 10-12 on the freeway with a fairly heavy foot. an intake and exhaust will go a long way, ford really choked down the engines in the 80s-90s.

i had a 351W in a bronco forever, and that engine was also tough as nails, but i think in a fully loaded van it would be a little slow for my taste. i'd really recommend if you are looking for a van in that time frame to get one with EFI, easier to trouble shoot than a choked down 80s carb/smog motor, better mileage, and smoother power delivery. the ford EEC-IV system seems complicated at first but its actually fairly simple once you break it down into the main components.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman