4x4 Van questions

Raven Rider

Rev. Jerry
Why is it that all the 2wd vans I find on Craig's list Phoenix are from 2009 to 2011? I want to sell my PS F350 and get a E350 but I can't find an older power stroke E350. Are the later model e350 junk? Sorry the title is misleading I want a 2wd to convert or if I could find a 4x4 for a great price I'd get it.

pratty85

Adventurer
IMO:
Hold out and find a 2000-03 7.3L PS E350, they are hard to find, but out there. I would suggest a Ujoint Off Road Conversion rather than finding a 4x4 Quigley.

MTDewX8

Observer
IMO:
Hold out and find a 2000-03 7.3L PS E350, they are hard to find, but out there. I would suggest a Ujoint Off Road Conversion rather than finding a 4x4 Quigley.

I found a 00 7.3 with 200k on the clock. I am ok with that, but the rust is really making my dicision hard. it has everything else I want as set up wise. fly to NC and drive it to Montana. seems easier to find one already converted, but harder when your limited on budget like me. although I have been offered help, but the distance is pretty great
rust scares me but its already a 4x4 which saves the trouble.
i would have to pay someone to do the conversion.

anyway, what does the U-joint conversion roughly run anyway?

MTDewX8

Observer
I have a 2000 Quigley 7.3 that started as a plain 4x4 cargo van. If I did it again I would buy a clean used older Sportsmobile and have Chris from UJOINT do his 4x4 conversion. Costs add up extremely quick when trying to build your own, doing it yourself or paying someone. Material and appliances these days are very expensive and figuring out a functional layout can take a few vans, or checking multiple vans out in person. Above all the time and planning it takes is extraordinary.

My first experience using CCV was 3/4 of a nightmare, waste of money on travel and fuel, slipping schedules and in my opinion terrible quality work in many areas of the interior and electrical. I have since had the interior redone through the member WickedVan on a recommendation from Chris from UJOINT. Very nice work and he cares about quality. I have paid almost twice for my interior and am in the process of rewiring it myself. Others have also had quality issues with SMB as well but at least you have respectable place to call upon that has a professional track record.

The 7.3 is fantastic but it is loud. Don't rule out a V10 if diesel isn't a must have as they are easier to find. The 7.3s can be hard to find but recommended by most over the later 6.0. Quigley is reliable but rides fairly firm and doesn't have a lot of travel up front compared to others. I have also ridden in a Quadvan that had a very nice ride on and off-road.
Eric

not sure what CCV is, and no diesel is not a need. just a want as they can get better fuel mileage and such. I have owned a F350 before so I am familar with the motor a bit.
what makes U-joint better over the quigley?
I figured getting a cargo or passenger van to start with a clean slate and I will build as I go. just for my situation to have it already converted is easier for me. limited resources where I Live. dont know many folks that can assist me.
been searching for vans for a long time and its getting old now. just want one so I can move on. I would rather have newer, but with a max 10k budget hinders me.
my wants was 4x4, power windows, AC and a good motor (7.3, V10).
I have found a few older 80's van with 4x4 ambo's, but they have the 460.

anyway if I have hijacked the thread sorry

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
The vans you're finding are probably 5.4's? Most likely former rental vans.

The max 10K budget will hurt you, never find anything decent. Finding a good 7.3 van will almost cost you that, and then you need to budget up to 10K for a 4x4 conversion if you do it yourself.

As stated above, the Q vans are good for the price and meet the needs of most 4x4 van owners that don't see much off road use. But it's not as black/white as on & off road, more wheel travel is better in both situations. Coil sprung vans are more prone to develop death wobble which is hard to fix without replacing almost every component on the front end ($$$) and a lot of Q vans have parts that are specific to them depending on the year. Modified unit bearings, brake rotors, etc. These are things that you want to be able to buy at any auto parts store across the country if you have a failure.

And.....don't be scared of a properly maintained 6.0. With the right mods, there's nothing wrong with them. (not trying to kickstart the beat to death 6.0 vs 7.3 debate!)

MTDewX8

Observer
thanks for the input. and yes having the limit sucks, but its what I got.

funny you mentioned about the 6.0. a dealer guy out east told me for some reason (he didn't know) that the VAN 6.0's are better than truck 6.0's.
I found that interested to say the least.

anyway, I think I have decided not to get that 00 quigley van cause of Rust and a few mechanical issues that need attention. (vacum pump, and down pipes) so that would put me over my budget.

now I have thoughts of trying to find a good V10 that convert it down the road when I get the funds.

are there years to stay away from when it comes to V10's? mileage that would make me think twice?
a diesel will still be in the list as I search.

options, but I wanted barn side doors. not slider, but I am sure I will manage.

http://gobestauto.com/ViewDetails.aspx?VID=129

or which I like, just would strip most of the back out to build it up a bit for sleeping
http://gobestauto.com/ViewDetails.aspx?VID=99

for all of those that have bought vans to build up the way they want. My thoughts were buying a cargo so there are no window's all the way around. I would prefer to have one side with out windows for heat retention cause I am sure I will sleep in the cold a few nights and want to avoid condesation and such.

then again I might be bound by finding a good deal on a van and will have to comprimise.

anyway, I will continue reading up on the V10 as I have not research them to much thus far.

Last edited:

pratty85

Adventurer
Actually....If I was in your position with your budget, I would find an older pathfinder van. It has 4wd and u can usually find them in good shape, I have stumbled on a few over the last year. Easy to maintain and reliable when given the proper maintenance. U should be able to find one in your price range and have cash left over to give it a good update. Not sure what motors come in them, but if it has a V8 make sure its a 351 Winsor. I have found that the 351W gets better gas mileage than the 460 and is comparable to the 302 in that respect. The 351 Cleveland is good too, it has larger heads and is actually classified as a big block. But I have nothing against the 460 it can be a great motor too, and can be converted to a 429 with just a crank swap. I found one for sale recently that had been to South America and back.

:elkgrin: Just a thought.

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
thanks for the input. and yes having the limit sucks, but its what I got.

funny you mentioned about the 6.0. a dealer guy out east told me for some reason (he didn't know) that the VAN 6.0's are better than truck 6.0's.
I found that interested to say the least.

The 6.0's in the vans are de tuned from the trucks (100hp) and generally have less issues.

MTDewX8

Observer
I have found two ambo's that have the 460. 82 and 85. both in decent condtion for 6k or less. I thought about going this route and still considering it. just hoping to get closer to my first choice really. then again, these would be good intro to having a van then later down the road I can upgrade. they usually dont have AC and power windows. I know small things, but surely nice to have when traveling a lot.

thanks again all.

as to Ujoint, I didn't know that was the difference. so thanks.

Actually....If I was in your position with your budget, I would find an older pathfinder van. It has 4wd and u can usually find them in good shape, I have stumbled on a few over the last year. Easy to maintain and reliable when given the proper maintenance. U should be able to find one in your price range and have cash left over to give it a good update. Not sure what motors come in them, but if it has a V8 make sure its a 351 Winsor. I have found that the 351W gets better gas mileage than the 460 and is comparable to the 302 in that respect. The 351 Cleveland is good too, it has larger heads and is actually classified as a big block. But I have nothing against the 460 it can be a great motor too, and can be converted to a 429 with just a crank swap. I found one for sale recently that had been to South America and back.

:elkgrin: Just a thought.

whoskis

This is a great discussion, ie had many of the same Qs as MT. We're in the same market, same budget.... may the best man score the best deal!

...and 785k is a **** ton! What all have you replaced?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998