4x4 Winnebago Lesharo......Hideous Awesomeness

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
It is going to take a LOT of refinements to bring this beastie up to speed, because -- like ALL rigs, it has its perplexing challenges. For instance: I've got the engine-driven air conditioning all charged up with R-134 and it is blowing cold air . . . however, there is ALSO a TON of HOT BTUs coming off the engine, which cancels out the cool air of the AC.

And then, last night, my wife, Jackie, and I camped along the Rogue River in it and spend our first night out in it -- smelling gas fumes all night long.

YUP, it's gonna' take A LOT of improvements to civilize it.

YEAH...but you were on the Rogue! :sombrero: Wonder if it's just as simple as a bad flap control for that heater....wouldn't be surprised. Those things aren't vacuum controlled, are they? Just a simple linkage or cable?

Cool rig...too small for my family, but very cool nonetheless. Great to see some creativity.

flyingkilt

I WISH it were just a flapper valve (yes, it's pushrod-controlled), but it's more complicated than heater controls -- the hot drafts are due to several random hard-to-reach holes in the firewall, and a home-made wooden "doghouse" over the engine that extends back into the cabin with insufficient reflective insulation (and decent weatherstripping seals) to keep out the engine heat.

BTW, Czechsix: Was that Cummins diesel a difficult job to retrofit into your 1985 Suburban? That would be perfect, I would think, for this YELLOW LeSharo Bumblebee . . . (which has rust, too!). What kind of fuel mileage do you get?

864x4rv

Observer
Nice looking RV! I have a 1986 Winnebago 26' Class A 4x4 that you have probably seen pictures here on this forum. Mine came with the GM 454 V8 and is currently going through a cummins 5.9L conversion out here in Cali. Will report back when the conversion is complete and will also report on the increased (hopefully) fuel mileage.

I am wondering if your frame is strong enough to handle the added weight of the cummins.

flyingkilt

Thanks for the link, bajajoaquin -- now THAT is a BIG WINNIE 4X4! An Elanden, I think . . . what chassis/drivetrain is under it now?

864x4rv

Observer
Hi there,

The RV was originally built on the GM P30 chassis with the 454/TH400 transmission. The conversion was done by a small shop in the Cape Cod area for the original owner. I bought it in the Boston area from the second owner. It looks like they used the system from a 1ton HD late 80's truck- D60 with 4.10s. I don't know which TC they used, but I can check.

When I drove it from Boston to San Diego in 2007, the front end would bottom out occassionally so I had a shop in the San Diego area build new leaf spring with a 6 lift and that took care of issue. Did great in baja beaches and dirt roads.

It sleeps five and the family loves it. I cannot wait for the diesel conversion to complete- hopefully next weekend.

Is your rv in the applegate area? I go to ashland quite often. I'd love to see your rv when I am up there.

flyingkilt

It sure is a kewl motorhome, and it'll be REALLY cool when the Cummins is operating to move it along. Will you be bringing it to Ashland sometime?

Yes, our AWD Lesharo RV is out in the Applegate area, and we'd be happy to bring it over to Ashland to meet you . . . or: you're certainly welcome to come out and visit us on Humbug Creek Road where we live out here. We have another Winnebago LeSharo that's just front-wheel-drive, but it's been converted to a Buick 3800 V6 and 440T4 automatic transmission, which makes it a very useful motor home for traveling long-distances fairly economically, 'cause it gets around 20 mpg. Sure wish the YELLOW Bumblebee got that good of mileage!

Max

CLynn85

Explorer
Glad to hear it's getting used and you're working your way through the issues. How about some pics in it's [new] natural habitat?

Chili

Explorer
Nice looking RV! I have a 1986 Winnebago 26' Class A 4x4 that you have probably seen pictures here on this forum. Mine came with the GM 454 V8 and is currently going through a cummins 5.9L conversion out here in Cali. Will report back when the conversion is complete and will also report on the increased (hopefully) fuel mileage.

I am wondering if your frame is strong enough to handle the added weight of the cummins.

The Cummins is only a few hundred pounds heavier. Less than me and a friend combined. I wouldn't worry about that.

flyingkilt

I'll get some new pics up in a couple of weeks, after we get back from our Chicago trip -- we just started out today from our home in the Applegate Valley in Southern Oregon (alas, in our Audi Allroad 4.2, not the LeSharo!) and are staying in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho tonight in the Best Western. My wife is walking in her graduation ceremony for her Master of Education degree next Saturday on Navy Pier in Chicago.

flyingkilt

With that nice compound low gear ratio is sounds like it has, the 100hp diesel looks to be very ample to move it around rough terrain. Thank you SO MUCH for posting that link, LukeH!

flyingkilt

4x4 LeSharo nicknamed "HAPPY BUMBLEBEE" -- LATEST MODS

Here is some more information on the yellow beast and some of the latest modifications we've done on it in Southern OregonProject Car.jpgJustin's shop both LeSharos.jpgJackie and Bee on I-5 stop.jpgfender flares, jackie and A8L.jpgfender flare and jackie.jpgfender flare and Max.jpgfender and snorkel.jpgfender flare and snorkel junction.jpg: http://www.lesharorv.com/viewtopic.php?t=1957

Also, here is some info on another 4x4 LeSharo called the LeTaco and/or LeComa that was converted using a Toyota Tacoma chassis: http://lesharorv.com/viewtopic.php?t=1569

Here is some earlier information and pictures on The Happy Bumblebee BEFORE I purchased it out in Pennsylvania and drove it home to Oregon, along with some questions and answers by the former owner: http://lesharorv.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1356&p=5622&hilit=4x4+lesharo#p5581

Here are three links to some short YouTube videos showing the interior and other features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUt9UB8BXMk

And: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1GdDp3727Q

And also, this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPJhMiuORCM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan