5 gal water bottles

Toyman01

Adventurer
I use these. Picked up at Walmart for about $10-$15.

Aqua-Tainer-with-BPA1.jpg

moodywizard

Adventurer
The LCI ones are basically scepter cans for civilian use. I bought three of them for about 75 shipped. They are awesome, definitely the last water can/jug you will ever buy.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Yeah, I have a couple of 4 gallon Aquatainers but they leak from the fill cap no matter what I do, so I got Scepters from Lexington Container, done.

robgendreau

Explorer
I'd recommend the LCI ones as well; basically American scepters. $25.99 each; free shipping over $50. Great customer service, although searching their website is a pain. Links to both colors below

http://www.buylci.com/ItemDisplayF....r-Can--5-gal--OD-Green--Plastic&ItemID=600409
http://www.buylci.com/ItemDisplayF....aft-Water-Can-Desert-Tan--5-gal&ItemID=906396

Here's a link to a spare lid:
http://www.buylci.com/ItemDisplayC.aspx?ItemID=600118

I had reliance and other cheapie brands for years and they all leaked. Either through the bottom (wearing out in truck beds and raft bottoms) or through poor spouts or breather holes. Useless. These LCIs are the bomb.

And carbon60 if you question is to the LCIs, the answer is several ways. I pour from the small 1"ish hole, or the big one if you wanna be fast. I got a spare lid, attached a down tube, a brass spigot and a tire valve, and use a bike pump to pressurize and send water out a hose. Not as strong as a standard home faucet, but pretty good. And you come to really love the big opening. You can store stuff inside, and most importantly, reach in to clean it out. And they are really sturdy.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
For hard shell water storage I use LCI also much better value then Scepter. To get to the water easier I installed a hose bid adopting the K.I.S.S. methodology.

Attachments

• IMG_4254.jpg
    IMG_4254.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 74

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Why oh WHY can't LCI sell a version that does NOT say "Property of U.S. Government" on it?!?!? Are they really Scepters? i,e, do the caps work on either one? Same plastic? Wall thickness? etc.?

robgendreau

Explorer
It's sort of difficult to get detailed specs, but they are NOT the same; totally different companies. Super similar though. I checked weights and they seem to have about the same construction, which makes sense if they're spec'd for military use in Canada and US respectively. Scepter has smaller cans; LCI just the 5g. LCI has a sort of lock on the lid to prevent accidental unscrewing; the scepter didn't. Scepter had rubber gaskets for at least the big opening; LCI didn't. That being said, my LCIs can hold quite a bit of air pressure, so I got a good seal. Others have had to do some sanding down or retrofitting with gaskets to get a better seal.

LCI is mostly in the business of fulfilling contracts to the gov't, hence the property of US thing. They are a non-profit employing blind folks. I don't understand why retailers like REI, Big 5, etc don't carry their Amercian stuff instead of the cheapo plastic junk they usually sell, but maybe they can't cuz of that "property" thing.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader

LCI is mostly in the business of fulfilling contracts to the gov't, hence the property of US thing. They are a non-profit employing blind folks. I don't understand why retailers like REI, Big 5, etc don't carry their Amercian stuff instead of the cheapo plastic junk they usually sell, but maybe they can't cuz of that "property" thing.

^Well said!^

Go to know

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Why oh WHY can't LCI sell a version that does NOT say "Property of U.S. Government" on it?!?!? Are they really Scepters? i,e, do the caps work on either one? Same plastic? Wall thickness? etc.?

I have to go and look at my blue ones again but I don't believe they are marked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle