5 person kitchen kit??

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
I'm looking for a five person nesting camp cook set. Similar to the stuff gsi, rei, and others offer. But they only seem to think that families come in 2 or 4 person sizes. Not true, I say! For some reason that shall not be mentioned here, due to delicate sensibilities of the common genteel readers present, we are five in the clan now. This presents the difficult challenge of getting five bowls, plates, and cups into a pot and lid designed to only hold a paltry four.

So, if anybody knows of a campsite cook/tableware set for more than 4, please post it up. Even six would be fine, if that would make it easier.
Thanks
(And no, it doesn't have to be made from some super whiz bang titanium plated super light anodized carbon fiber space age polomer treated with a food releasing nano partical anti everything finish either.)

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
You could get a Pelican case with pluck-&-pick foam and make your own with plates & whatnots...?

tarditi

Explorer
You can get single person kits at REI and just outfit the number needed... some even come in a swish bag

GSI infinity 4-person set also has single items available - only thing missing is the cup, which I think is an odd shape anyway
https://www.rei.com/c/plates-and-bowls?r=category%3Acamping-and-hiking%7Ccamp-kitchen%7Ccookware-and-dinnerware%7Ccamp-dinnerware%7Cplates-and-bowls&ir=category%3Acamp-dinnerware

Can also go with LightMyFire sets - we did this for our family (albeit only 4 of us) as well as a nesting set for the DOSKO

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
We're a family of three, but we've eventually ended up with 5 of most things - I went with singles from REI. I found that I always ended up using at least one extra plate for serving (or storing cooked stuff off the grill, etc.) and at least one bowl for mise en place or serving (or dips, salsas, etc.). You may find you really want six!

The upside of not-four, is that it freed me from the concept of nesting everything: I found with experience that it turned getting out a single plate to make a sandwich into a huge pain in the butt. Instead, I nest all the cookware and water kettle into one set, and keep the mugs/bowls/plates separate so that they're more easily retrievable. When I need to cook something, fine, all the pans/pots are there, but being able to just grab a plate without having to remove a lid, a fry pan, a second lid, etc. then put it all back is really nice.

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
Thanks for the input, didn't check into single sets. I'll have to get on rei's site and see what they have.
But as for doing a single meal like a sandwich, not gonna happen here, it's at least 3 of us if we go out, and probably five when the weather is warm enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12