5 weeks in the Intermountain/High Desert USA area

seeNik48

Adventurer
I shared this trip on another forum so will post the link to photos here:

My husband was recovering from cancer treatment so we limited our range and time in the road. Our wandering included central and eastern Washington, central and eastern Idaho, northeast Utah, northern Nevada and central and eastern Oregon. A few gravel roads including one we do NOT recommend (Arco to Minidoka Road 62 miles of mostly mud wallers, exposed lava, ruts, etc. nasty stuff) but enjoyed Salmon River/Panther Creek/Morgan Creek route in Idaho north of Challis.

Highlights include the above Salmon River route, Mary Minerva McCloskey State Park, City of Rocks National Reserve and Lolo Pass Highway in Idaho, Ukiah Dale State Scenic Corridor in Oregon, USFS roads from Lolo Pass Visitor Center to Highway 12, and our favorite rockhounding area in northwestern Nevada. Just a lot of meandering often stumped by weather and husband’s fatigue. 3,000 miles in 35 days so we slowed it down to enjoy the ride stopping to take photos and enjoy the solitude. The only areas we experienced more traffic and crowds were Lolo Pass Highway and City of Rocks.

We are currently planning our Sprung trip so will be asking a few questions about our route and areas of interest once we have a tentative plan.

What a great trip! And since you mentioned rattlers, I’m wondering how you deal with them and your dog? My cattle dog loves to run. I let him do that in the cool season And we mostly travel north or southwest in the cool season. Do you keep your dog tied or leashed when snakes are active?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Very nice and hope your husband is doing well and kicks cancer's butt.

We need to get out and explore having fun before last call!

seeNik48

Adventurer
What a great trip! And since you mentioned rattlers, I’m wondering how you deal with them and your dog? My cattle dog loves to run. I let him do that in the cool season And we mostly travel north or southwest in the cool season. Do you keep your dog tied or leashed when snakes are active?
We don’t have poisonous snakes where we live so we try to be extra careful. Never let your guard up around rocky area and vegetation. Case in point: it had snowed in late April and we assumed, wrongly, that they would be dormant. My husband was finding quite a few agates or, more properly, chalcedony, in the sagebrush. I was walking on the gravel road when I heard a buzz. I looked up and an angry and thin rattler was coiled ready to strike.
We used to let them run but not any more. You never know when you will encounter them. Be safe.

On the topic of rattlesnakes… I have a pointer, and have taken the dog through snake aversion training several times. It isn’t perfect, but she doesn’t want anything to do with a snake.

Nice photos! Hopefully your husband has a complete recovery from his cancer.

RealTruck

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
That was a beautiful series of photos that you shared with us. Wishing you safe travels and big adventures on your Spring trip!

seeNik48

Adventurer
I used an iPhone 13 to photograph our travels. I used to be a landscape/concert photographer but sold all my equipment last summer as I found I was no longer enjoying the hobby

rruff

Explorer
We don’t have poisonous snakes where we live so we try to be extra careful. Never let your guard up around rocky area and vegetation. Case in point: it had snowed in late April and we assumed, wrongly, that they would be dormant. My husband was finding quite a few agates or, more properly, chalcedony, in the sagebrush. I was walking on the gravel road when I heard a buzz. I looked up and an angry and thin rattler was coiled ready to strike.
We used to let them run but not any more. You never know when you will encounter them. Be safe.
Rattlesnakes seem to follow the calendar far more than temperature, and if there were any warmish days before the snow, they were probably committed to ending their long nap. I've camped in S AZ many winters (Dec-Mar) and only once saw a rattler, and it was a baby in Dec.

It's nice that they are courteous enough to warn... usually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior