5 Year Trip in an INEOS Grenadier Across the World towing a Patriot X3 Which We Live In

Matt P

Hi all!

I just thought I'd drop a line here about something that may be of interest. We’re doing a 5 year trip in an INEOS Grenadier across the world towing a Patriot X3 which we live in. We set off from the Grenadier pub in London in mid-July with our two young kids. We're always eager to learn and happy to help the best we can.

- More info on the trip and all the links here.
- More Grenadier-related content here.
- We're now on YouTube too https://www.youtube.com/@projectwildearth

Our latest video below:

Attachments

• Project-Wild-Earth-INEOS-Grenadier-Patriot-X3-1.png
    Project-Wild-Earth-INEOS-Grenadier-Patriot-X3-1.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 48
  • Project-Wild-Earth-INEOS-Grenadier-Patriot-X3-6.png
    Project-Wild-Earth-INEOS-Grenadier-Patriot-X3-6.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 47
  • Project-Wild-Earth-INEOS-Grenadier-Patriot-X3-5.png
    Project-Wild-Earth-INEOS-Grenadier-Patriot-X3-5.png
    4 MB · Views: 47
  • Project-Wild-Earth-INEOS-Grenadier-Patriot-X3-4.png
    Project-Wild-Earth-INEOS-Grenadier-Patriot-X3-4.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 49
  • Project-Wild-Earth-INEOS-Grenadier-Patriot-X3-3.png
    Project-Wild-Earth-INEOS-Grenadier-Patriot-X3-3.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 51
  • Project-Wild-Earth-INEOS-Grenadier-Patriot-X3-2.png
    Project-Wild-Earth-INEOS-Grenadier-Patriot-X3-2.png
    3 MB · Views: 51
  • Project-Wild-Earth-INEOS-Grenadier-Patriot-X3-7.png
    Project-Wild-Earth-INEOS-Grenadier-Patriot-X3-7.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • Project-Wild-Earth-INEOS-Grenadier-Patriot-X3-8.png
    Project-Wild-Earth-INEOS-Grenadier-Patriot-X3-8.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • Project-Wild-Earth-INEOS-Grenadier-Patriot-X3-9.png
    Project-Wild-Earth-INEOS-Grenadier-Patriot-X3-9.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:

LRNAD90

Adventurer
Subscribed, looking forward to following along..

"Wild camping is prohibited in nearly the whole of Europe" - Seriously? That's ridiculous..

Johnboyy

"Wild camping is prohibited in nearly the whole of Europe" - Seriously? That's ridiculous..

Yes and no.

It's generally not legal but often tolerated.

Coupl of reasons.

Very high level of private land ownership compared to north America.

Relatively high level of nomadic populations who might not have the best of reputations so many measures are aimed at them.

Population density. Over three times as many people per square km as the states means over tourism can be a problem, and European campers are just as capable of leaving trash behind as Americans, but three times as many of them makes it a problem

Last edited:

Matt P

Yes and no.

Coupl of reasons.

Relatively high level of nomadic populations who might not have the best of reputations so many measures are aimed at them.

Population density. Over three times as many people per square km as the states means over tourism can be a problem, and European campers are just as capable of leaving trash behind as Americans, but three times as many of them makes it a problem
It's very country-specific and you need to read about each one but from a legal perspective, it's generally not too favourable apart from the obvious destinations. In reality, it's more open than it first appears but you are taking a risk and some of the fines in some countries are well worth being aware of. This is why we headed to the Balkans earlier than first planned, much more freedom... :cool:

alanymarce

Yes and no.

Coupl of reasons.

Good answer, however...

The population density in Europe is 71 per km2. The population density in the USA is 37 per km2, so half, not a third (I know, picky, picky).

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Wow! Five years in a car with two young kids? Now that's ambitious. I'd love to hear how you manage, what challenges you face, etc. We've got our own (7 month old) and hope to be able to do some 5-6 week-long travel in the next few years, but right now that seems way out of reach.

Your photos and videos are wonderful; please keep posting them! I'm exhausted, sleep deprived, have snow coming down outside, and watching the mountain footage in your last video was like a 10 minute therapy break.

If you find yourself in Canada's British Columbia, please shoot me a note and I'll point you to some great locations to explore and camp.

Matt P

It's not for everyone I know! 🙃 We cover some of them in the YouTube videos but there's a lot as you can imagine, it's a constant juggling act but then "normal life" is too I guess. Start with hiking, then weekend camping and build from there, it's all doable just a bit different to what you're used to. You and your partner need to be aligned though otherwise it'll end in tears.

Thanks for the kind words re photos and videos! Videos will be here and photos here (more Grenadier-specific) and here. We could post a few here as time goes on if there's interest. (I included a recent one below on the Bosnian border) I'm glad we could help with the therapy break! We know how you feel! 😂

As for Canada's BC, it's a while off yet but don't be surprised if you get a message nearer the time! 🇨🇦

Attachments

• Project-Wild-Earth-Matt-Prior-Wild-Camp-Bosnia-Nature-Off-Road-Off-Grid-Conservation-4x4-Explo...jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 20

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior