1967 Land Rover series 11a 109 Travelling Canada to Panama

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Hi Everyone

We need to change our route and will have to drive the coastal highway through Michocan. We have been told by some we should avoid it at all costs. Anyone driven there lately and is it safe?

Thanks

I drove it in January of 2010. No problems whatsoever, except being bribed in Acapulco. Just follow the normal rules, get off the road before dark, find a safe low key place to stay for the night before dark and you will be fine.

Avoid the tourist areas like PV, Acapulco and so forth. Move through those areas quickly but don't break any traffic laws. 2Aroundtheworld drove down the Mex200 in January-ish of this year, I believe they had zero problems.

I realize your post I quoted is old and you are no longer in the area but hopefully you didn't pass up one of the most fantastic stretches of Pacific Coast in this hemisphere!

As far as not seeing other overlanders, well winter in the north is when you will see the most down south, it is now spring/summer up here. And an open time limit where you just wander where ever you feel like it, there is no better way to do this trip!!

Justin & Nadine

Hey Everyone,

We're finally made it down to Nicaragua. Loving this country! The beaches are empty and the surfing is great. Enjoying the rainy season, always happy to see the clouds roll in - we'll never get used to this heat. We've been through a lot of border crossings in the last month - have to say, Honduras is a lot of fun to cross :yikes:

Still haven't seen any other overlanders, I think we're all alone out here. I guess we'll catch a fresh new batch of them on the way back to Canada.

Justin and Nadine

http://ouryearaslandrovers.blogspot.com/

coydogsf

Adventurer
Hey Justin and Nadine,

Sorry it feels like you're out there alone! We really liked Laguna de Apoyo for a little escape from the cities. Also Playa Aserradores for a beach hang out. Granada felt a little like a slightly rundown, a bit more overtly touristy, Antigua to us but sitting on a pedestrian promenade with music and vendors is always fun. Our Nica stories are at http://www.advodna.com/1999/12/index-of-stories.html#Nicaragua if the info helps.

Be safe and be sure to let us know when you're passing back through California on your way north. BTW. Sounds like our experience has talked you out of shipping home?!

Dave

Justin & Nadine

So I Finally Got Robbed in Tamarindo Costa Rica

Hi Everyone

So I woke up yesterday with the rear door adjar. with further inspection

1) they bent the top of the door back breaking the window but the window guards slowed them down they jammed a prybar in the door and popped it open.

2) then they had to remove the rear deck over my steel lock boxes

3) they then had to cut 2 boron abloy lockes from the steel boxes

4) then they took my hundred lbs tool box which sucks because every tool I needed to fix every possible thing that could go wrong is gone.

All my british standard wrenches and sockets for my pre metric land rover

All my Mercedes Benz engine special tooling

These tools are useless to anyone who doesn't own a pre metric british vehicle

They were so stupid they left behind a $500 dollar Snap-on torque wrench

The real kicker the gear oil I had a hard time finding that I bought in Belize they took that too all twelve liters replacement is $25 a liter here in Costa Rica.

this sucks but at least I have my truck still

Justin

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
That's terrible Justin, very sorry to hear the news.

But hey, look at the bright side!
1. like you said, at least you still have the Land Rover
2. the vehicle is still drivable
3. you've dropped a few pounds so you will save $$$ on fuel (trying to be optimistic here)
4. the adventure can continue!

Try not to think of the would/could/should have's and think about how you can prevent it from happening next time

CRJeepin

Observer
Wow, sorry to hear about the theft. Hope that Rovers North can help you replace the special tools....

I'd make a list of the "bare minimum" needed to continue (required to check brakes, change oil, service hubs) and try to get that re-established.

I'd cry if my 3lb hammer got stolen....have some specialty sockets and stuff, but that hammer has been with me since the beginning, somehow still looks like its brand spankin new, and has never broken anything I've beat on with it....I swear it's a magic hammer.

Good luck and stay safe!

Justin & Nadine

Thanks guys - for your kind words!!!

As for an update, we've been partially compensated for our losses and damages by the owner of the condo complex. Its not much but were thankful none the less. Actually we still can't believe that we received anything at all!

Just waiting on gear oil to get here from San Jose and after that we'll hit the road!!:jumping:

Justin

syke

Adventurer
Just found your website. I'm almost caught up to real time. Great adventure and photographs.
Good luck and safe travels. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior