54" Roof Mounted LED Light Bar BLUNDER - Why I went with a hidden LED light bar

Bravo1782

Adventurer
Hello!
I'm working on finishing up an extensive, year long review of a Hidden LED Light Bar setup and decided to write a short post on my experience with a Roof-Mounted LED light bar and why I'm no longer a fan of the setup.

Back in March of 2015, I purchased a Rough Country 54" Curved LED Light Bar 72954 and Rough Country Windshield Mount 70518
to install the setup on my 2011 F-150. I followed the installation instructions and mounted up the power-house light bar to my 2011 F-150.

First let me say this, while I did not do an extensive review of the equipment, the bar and brackets seemed very well made and durable. The instructions were clear, the bracket came with all install hardware and the light bar came with all necessary wiring. I didn't test them long-term, so that's the most I can say on the subject.

The overall look is very "Pre-Runner" (I'll post pictures if I can find them). The light bar is minimally intrusive and does not obstruct view at all (or at least, very minimally). The amount of light this bar produces is absolutely immense. It's like having the power of the sun mounted to the roof of your truck. The first night I installed it, I headed out and hit some back-road gravel. And here's where it started to go wrong.

GLARE
The glare from the this light bar off my hood (Dark Blue, high gloss) was immense, bordering on blinding. I could imagine a brightly colored or white truck being even worse. It made it incredibly difficult to navigate the pitch-dark night despite all the auxiliary light. It became immediately clear to me that if I wanted to maintain this setup, I would need to Plastidip my hood flat black (which I was prepared to do). However, something else put the nail in the coffin for me the next day...

WIND NOISE
It is perfectly reasonable to expect something square and flat mounted to the outside of your vehicle to make SOME noise at highway speed (60-70 MPH). However, the amount of wind noise this light made was completely unbearable. I've run roof racks, roof top tents, cargo boxes, cargo bags...NOTHING made as much wind noise as this light bar. It was deafening. I could barely hear my aftermarket stereo over the noise. If that wasn't bad enough, it seemed to create some sort of natural resonance in the cab that caused a sort of ringing noise that I could not stop. Nothing I did to modify the bracket, light, or wiring made that ringing and wind noise go away. As I've said in other posts, I spend a lot of time on the highway, and I'm not off-road racing this truck, so this light bar had to go. I boxed everything up, returned everything, and went to a Hidden LED Light Bar that (as I'll discuss in a review I'll post tonight) I fell in love with.

TREES
While I didn't have this experience, I suspected I would at some point. A stock 2011 F-150 is a tall truck. Eventually I'm going to do some aftermarket suspension and bigger tires. That makes for a really REALLY tall truck. I have a lot of scratches on my roof from tree branches already, and I could absolutely envision one of those branches smashing into the front of a windshield mounted light bar. I cannot attest to the durability of the Rough Country LED light bar, I'd rather not find out by destroying my equipment (especially something as expensive as a large light bar). Most warranties don't cover tree-related damage.

Your mileage may vary
Roof and windshield light bars seem to be all the rage these days and I see them everywhere, particularly on full size, domestic trucks. N-Fab makes several different light bar mounts that may prevent some of the issues that I experienced, but I was so put-off by this experience that I didn't even want to bother to find out. Perhaps on a different truck with different aerodynamic properties, this may not be as much of an issue, but that certainly was not my experience. I'm not trying to deter people from this set up (they seem to sell like crazy) but I did want to share my data point and be able to reference this experience in future write-ups.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I agree with every point made. Your experience is what most people say about mounting massive LED bars right at the windshield line using these brackets. I think bumper mounted is best for lighting. I would look at getting a set of good lights mounted bumper height. Much better setup.

ZJARCHER

Adventurer
Sounds about par... 99% of those who run above the window LED bars are form>function guys and could care less about how it works, but rather that they look "cool"...

mccustomize

Explorer
Been there done that, I had a roof rack with two 40" bars and would never do it again, I try to keep it all hidden now.

You can just see the current bar mounted behind the grill, and I have two flush mount cubes in the bumper.

12940881_1698373003754069_209154485_n.jpg

dumprat

Adventurer
What really drives the rediculous to new levels is seeing people driving down the highway with their light bars turned on in the daytime!

I am starting to think off roaders are afraid of the dark.....

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Xterra folks have been griping about that for days. One guy even made a glare shield some folks got matte vynil cut for the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
Same guys 30-40 years ago with a score of KCs or PerLux on their Faux Bar.

Sure, but back then there wasn't trouble with wind noise or hood glare from that lighting location. It worked fine there on both mall cruisers AND pro race trucks. This modern fad of perching these light bars right on the top edge of the windshield is just ************* stupid, in several respects. Noise, glare, lack of protection from limb strikes AND the ridiculously inflated prices.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Xterra folks have been griping about that for days. One guy even made a glare shield some folks got matte vynil cut for the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's the kind of thing I'm talking about. Make bad choices and more bad choices and money spent on top of it. All that's needed is putting the lights high on the grill in front, or back ~1' from the top of the windshiled, so the roof blocks the overhead light from hitting the hood.

The aforementioned 'old skool' way used to be pencil beams on the roof line for deep / far lighting, maybe some floods flanking - a style now emulated in many light bars - but it was also floods on the front grill to fill the near field. I suppose the modern fad of putting the bars on the front edge of the roof was an effort to make one very expensive light do everything, because the Bros couldn't afford two. But that's just a dismissive guess. There's no accounting for the depth and breadth of Bro idiocy.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Explorer
Same guys 30-40 years ago with a score of KCs or PerLux on their Faux Bar.

At least those old KCs had a much higher-quality light output... As the OP found out, the high color-temperature of a typical LED bar glares immensely because nearly all the light they put out is deep within the blue part of the spectrum, with just a smidgeon of orangish-yellow thrown in to make it appear sortof "white" if looking directly at it. The spectral uniformity is downright atrocious (and is why they have little, if any penetration into the distance).
Indeed I have no interest in putting any LED offroad lighting on mine until they start bringing the color temps down not just a bit, but a lot.

What really drives the rediculous to new levels is seeing people driving down the highway with their light bars turned on in the daytime!

I frequently see this in the desert, people run with their lights on to increase visibility if it's dusty, they're afraid someone else might not see them and crash into them (I do the same if I'm in an area where other vehicles might be speeding around). On a paved highway though I would agree (or maybe they forgot to turn them off after hitting the pavement?)

Bravo1782

Adventurer
A lot of great points. The trouble is, most of the guys running these bars haven't thought that far ahead. Most people are clueless that there is a color-temperature spectrum. They've probably barely even given any thought to the light bar at all. Most of these products are marketed to provide an aggressive off-road look...not functionality. I guess I convinced myself that there could be some practical application. Boy was I wrong! lol

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!

They have them tied to the wrong side of the high beam circuit. DRL is on the high beam circuit and therefore if they do not turn the switch off, they bar is on when the headlight is off.

bugeyetex

Observer
I had a similar issue years ago. I had an 82 toyota pickup with a period correct double roll bar in the bed with a couple lights on it. There was 2 mounted underneath that were facing backwards. I went up a trail that turned into a dead end and there was nowhere to turn around. "Perfect" I thought as I finally had a chance to use them. When I turned the lights on, all I could see was the bed of the truck. The side mirrors were okay, but the angle didn't let any light touch the ground until 40 feet behind the truck. It was a very important lesson for me on function over form.

rayra

Expedition Leader
lol 'period correct'. So true. I blame Back to the Future.

I was 18 in '82, living in THE Valley, home of the Valley Girls and filming locations of almost all the 'youth' movies of that era. I remember the stir when the 'innovation' of double-tube bars swept the scene.

/it makes this 'overlanding' branding quite amusing

back-to-the-future-doc-brown-mr-fusion.jpg.650x0_q85_crop-smart.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12