drawer/storage system for Jeep Wrangler

katzifw

Hi,

i have read this http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9034 posting -
very interesting, but unfortunately, there are very few pictures and ideas for the Jeep :)

My first Brainstorming - Bestop Extendatrunk - but i have not found drawer for this system

Now I want to build yourself drawer/storage system, but my car is an old Jeep Wrangler YJ. The Rear Seats comes out.
At the same time I would like to integrate a new audio system with new speaker and a iPad connection

Who has pictures of his Jeep drawer/storage system modification for me - thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
I am starting down the same road as you. I have an 06' Unlimited Wrangler with a useless backseat and I want to move the spare tire inside. I want to build a drawer system that will also mount my tire on top. I cant justify spending the $300+ on a Tuffy or similiar product when I could build one that suits my needs for much much less.

I need to do a lot of measuring since I have so much room in the back but I am in hopes to mount the spare tire laying down but further to 1 side so I might can still make mounts for a high-lift or my mountain bike on the other side. The ideas are almost unlimited if you have good carpenter skills!

wjeeper

Good to see another YJ coming out of the woodwork!

I just wrapped up my storage/ kitchen slide out in my wrangler today. I haven't really had a chance to get out there and play with it however I am already totally in love with it. I made mine semi-permanent but it would be super easy to make it removable so you can put in a seat if one wanted to.

Check it out if you want:http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53303&page=5

Before I even started out I gleaned what I could from others in the thread you posted and then sat down and made a list of things I wanted to achieve with the drawer. I think a little planning and forethought really makes the difference on a project like this.

Good luck! I am curious to see what you come up with.....oh and welcome to EXPO!

2Shoes

I am also starting to design a drawer system with a metal rack across the wheel wells to mount a cooler/fridge, Dog Kennel, and other larger items depending on the trip. I considered removing my passenger seat to creat more storage room but the need for one extra seat seems to always be there.

klaykrusher

I am starting down the same road as you. I have an 06' Unlimited Wrangler with a useless backseat and I want to move the spare tire inside. I want to build a drawer system that will also mount my tire on top. I cant justify spending the $300+ on a Tuffy or similiar product when I could build one that suits my needs for much much less.

I need to do a lot of measuring since I have so much room in the back but I am in hopes to mount the spare tire laying down but further to 1 side so I might can still make mounts for a high-lift or my mountain bike on the other side. The ideas are almost unlimited if you have good carpenter skills!

Hey Bigjerm,

I have an '05 unlimited and didn't need the rear seat like you. I kept the height of my storage unit to 8". I want to sleep in there so wanted decent storage capacity and headroom. For my High Lift, I mounted it to the interior roll bars. Worked out very nice for my needs.

P1020847.JPG

Nice thing about mounting it there is that I also use it for tie down spots.

The box is 34" wide between the wheel wells. Depending on the size of your spare and how far forward you place, I think you'll have plenty of room to store your bike in there.

P1020860.JPG

Good luck with your build!

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Mine's a CJ, but the space is about the same.

I have a drawer in the very back:

CJstuff370.jpg

With rails on each side, to tie down the stuff on top. I used a couple sets of old lap belts for tie downs. These work great, as the lock tight, and are easily fed through the handles of duffle bags.

In front of the drawer, I have a plastic fott locker bolted down. I keep fluids/grease/hand cleaner/funnels/etc in here.

CJstuff378.jpg

In front of that, and right behind the rear seats, is another wooden box. Inside are my spare drive shafts, and on top I have my spare tie-rod and front axle shafts strapped down:

CJstuff366.jpg

CJstuff372.jpg

Toss in the bags for the trip, and we're good to go!

CJstuff381.jpg

bob91yj

Resident **************
The problem I have with mounting a Hi-Lift inside, is you can't get to it when you REALLY need it. I come from a rock crawling back ground, can't drive for doo doo, so I have REALLY needed my Hi-Lift a time or fifty to get myself out of a predicament/my junk back on it's wheels, etc.

wjeeper

The problem I have with mounting a Hi-Lift inside, is you can't get to it when you REALLY need it.

Excellent point! Its not of much use to you if its not readily accessible. Not to mention the jack gets dusty/ muddy/ greasy if you actually use and maintain/ oil it like your suppose to. I use to keep mine inside....for reasons previously stated now it resides outside, well oiled with a rubber boot over the lifting mechanism.

granelli

I don't know if this thread is old or not but I found some things that will work well for you. They are a little pricey though.

This page has a few drawers that replace the rear seat.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/product_search.php?pg=2&cn=Jeep+Consoles,+Security+&+Storage&c=88

This setup looks good. It's a Tuffy metal locking drawer with a mounting system.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/24252_905.htm

I have a tj and go on 1 or 2 day trips almost weekly with 2 dogs and 1 other person. I took out the rear seat and have a cargo rack mounted in between the rear cage so the dogs can go underneath and I can still store a ton of stuff in the basket above them. I also have a instatrunk which basically is a metal piece which creates a trunk that goes right up to the back of the rear seat. This seals the dogs in and give me access to the rear trunk and top of the basket with the dogs only being able to come out between the front seats or when I fold a front seat forward. Everything else goes into a thule box on the roof (mostly light stuff). We carry tons of stuff with us when we go out which includes chairs, table, 4ft by 1 ft giant pelican gun case, tent stuff, cooler, dog stuff, tons of junk, tons of metal shooting targets, military ammo boxes. It's amazing what you can carry when it is all organized and planned out, the tj is a small vehicle and it gets much tighter when you try to pack 2 people who are 6'1" 200lbs and 2 big dogs

Last edited:

wardrow

Adventurer
I don't know if this thread is old or not but I found some things that will work well for you. They are a little pricey though.

This page has a few drawers that replace the rear seat.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/product_search.php?pg=2&cn=Jeep+Consoles,+Security+&+Storage&c=88

This setup looks good. It's a Tuffy metal locking drawer with a mounting system.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/24252_905.htm

I have a tj and go on 1 or 2 day trips almost weekly with 2 dogs and 1 other person. I took out the rear seat and have a cargo rack mounted in between the rear cage so the dogs can go underneath and I can still store a ton of stuff in the basket above them. I also have a instatrunk which basically is a metal piece which creates a trunk that goes right up to the back of the rear seat. This seals the dogs in and give me access to the rear trunk and top of the basket with the dogs only being able to come out between the front seats or when I fold a front seat forward. Everything else goes into a thule box on the roof (mostly light stuff). We carry tons of stuff with us when we go out which includes chairs, table, 4ft by 1 ft giant pelican gun case, tent stuff, cooler, dog stuff, tons of junk, tons of metal shooting targets, military ammo boxes. It's amazing what you can carry when it is all organized and planned out, the tj is a small vehicle and it gets much tighter when you try to pack 2 people who are 6'1" 200lbs and 2 big dogs

Sounds like a nice system, post up some pictures!

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Hey Bigjerm,

I have an '05 unlimited and didn't need the rear seat like you. I kept the height of my storage unit to 8". I want to sleep in there so wanted decent storage capacity and headroom. For my High Lift, I mounted it to the interior roll bars. Worked out very nice for my needs.

I like the idea! My wife does not seem so big on it though. She is telling me she wants to keep the backseat. Then she said she didnt mind the enclosure as long as I could remove it to put the seat it. Sounds like I need to just get a spare tire carrier for the 35 and possibly build a small enclosure in the back of the jeep for security storage. Might just make a simple raised floor that would make a flat floor level with the back seat when it is folded down. Dont plan to sleep in the Jeep at 6'5".

trust

Adventurer
I built a drawer system for my Scrambler but doesnt sound like that will work for you, as built, if you keep the seat. You could do a similar platform with a drawer and mount the seat to the top of the platform, simply cut the platform short (lengthwise) to afford a deeper footwell, if necessary, for the back seat passenger(s) http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43748

I did put in a third seat in my old SJ Cherokee by mounting a CJ back seat to some I beams such that the seat could fold forward and the space beneath be used for storage.

Last edited:

ryanwelch

DIY Build Jeep Wrangler Drawer system (by novice builder)

I wanted to build a rear cargo drawer system for my 2016 Jeep Wrangler 4door. But like you, I did quite a bit of research and found some really good info out there but not a ton out there specific to the Wrangler.

IMG_1757 2.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

I’m not an expert builder by any means. I enjoy it and can get by, but I’m no master carpenter. I took ideas I found from other online - videos and forum posts - and decided to jump in to the build.

For any expert builders, this would be pretty simply. But for those out there, like me, hopefully this will give you an idea of what can be done and will give you ideas for your build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior