classic range rover diesel conversion

REDROVER

Explorer
today it was time to unwrap the 6.2. it was clear that gm flywheel was much larger. and that means the bell housing from the zf 22 wont work without major mods, no problemo at all :) as far as the engine the size of the 6.2 is very much the same as 3.9

Eric

Attachments

• 6.2 as of today 003.jpg
    6.2 as of today 003.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 235
  • 6.2 as of today 004.jpg
    6.2 as of today 004.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 255
  • 6.2 as of today 007.jpg
    6.2 as of today 007.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 6.2 as of today 014.jpg
    6.2 as of today 014.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 231
  • 6.2 as of today 009.jpg
    6.2 as of today 009.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 217
  • 6.2 as of today 008.jpg
    6.2 as of today 008.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 6.2 as of today 013.jpg
    6.2 as of today 013.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 308
  • 6.2 as of today 015.jpg
    6.2 as of today 015.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 206
  • 6.2 as of today 016.jpg
    6.2 as of today 016.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 228

REDROVER

Explorer
Couldn't you just use the smaller gm flex plate on it?

i could use that but then what do i do with the huge starter? and larger flywheel is also good for the diesel during cranking as a leverage for the starter.

and even if i use smaller flywheel i still had to change the entire bolt pattern on the zf22 trans. as u see from the pics the back section of the 6.2 is completely deferent than rover v8

Last edited:
I'm sure you've considered this....but what is the design limit for torque input on the ZF trans, and how does that compare with the NA 6.2?

Inquiring minds.... :)

REDROVER

Explorer
I'm sure you've considered this....but what is the design limit for torque input on the ZF trans, and how does that compare with the NA 6.2?

Inquiring minds.... :)

the 6.2 j code motor makes about 300 to 330 lb tq. and zf22 is ok up to that. because many other cars use zf22 that make 300lb tq

and also it has a lot to do about how u drive, if i keep flooring the gas pedal every time that rapid torque from the diesel will kill many Trans .

Excellent!

I really wasn't being a smarty pants, it just seemed like it might be a concern given what a torque monster - not - the 3.9 is :)

Best of luck,

KAA

ArmyRover

Adventurer
Really? damn that was quick! Did you need a spacer on the torque converter, any changes for the starter mount? Pics man Pics :D

REDROVER

Explorer
Really? damn that was quick! Did you need a spacer on the torque converter, any changes for the starter mount? Pics man Pics :D

fast huh? lol if we can make Rolls Royce phantom limo for prince Charles or Maybach limo for Michael Jackson then making an adapter for range rover is piece of cake.

no change for the starter, no change for the original 6.2 flywheel, torque converter even on original zf comes with adapter. witch need a little modification and its a beautiful fit .

basically with this kit u can convert any d1 d2 rrc or defender automatic zf to work with 6.2 diesel in 6 hours

pics for sure and video as well coming up.

94Discovery

Adventurer
fast huh? lol if we can make Rolls Royce phantom limo for prince Charles or Maybach limo for Michael Jackson then making an adapter for range rover is piece of cake.

no change for the starter, no change for the original 6.2 flywheel, torque converter even on original zf comes with adapter. witch need a little modification and its a beautiful fit .

basically with this kit u can convert any d1 d2 rrc or defender automatic zf to work with 6.2 diesel in 6 hours

pics for sure and video as well coming up.
cannot wait :wings:,are you thinking of producing and selling the adapter ?

REDROVER

Explorer
cannot wait :wings:,are you thinking of producing and selling the adapter ?

possibly yes, that will be low cost and easy solution for 6.2 diesel conversions

and also i am changing the heater system to 25.000 btu electric unit that we use in the limousines., so that big ugly non efficient unit is gone.

Attachments

• old heater unit.jpg
    old heater unit.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 209

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior