Purchase a Ural?

I really want one because I really want one. But the more I look at those, the more it occurs to me it's best I don't get one. In the end they're just not "my speed".

I think I'd be happier with a KLR 650 hack... And probably a little cheaper too.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Not looking to rain on any parade, and if a Ural meets the needs, have at it. I agree that they are very cool and worthy of consideration.

I would, however, point out that there are good used rigs available used that might have more overall usefulness. Urals are not light, don't have much fuel economy, they cruise about 55 mph, and they don't set records for reliability (the newer the better on this, which limits how "used" you might want to consider).

I've followed Urals since they were first imported; indeed, they were once sold at Costco next to the checkout counters for $4,999. I've had multiple hacks and test driven many Urals. I've always been tempted, but it's always become clear that there are better rigs for on pavement and better rigs for off pavement. And as the price is now into the five figures for even the cheapest models, carefully constructed used hacks are worth your consideration.

Just as one example of the point I'm making . . . my Yamaha FJ1200/California Sidecar rig will get better mileage, cruise at any double digit speed, reach triple digits, is likely more reliable, is more comfortable, and has no weird handling traits. It cost less than half the price of a new Ural.

745558714_HHa3B-L.jpg

And if you want something more trail-oriented, something based, as CoastalDefender suggested, on a KLR would be less money and easier to handle.

Like I say, if a Ural meets the needs best, have at it. Just be aware that alternatives exist, especially if you're not under pressure to get something quickly.

Expedition Leader
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2008 Ural Patrol.

Is this some unique form of self-flagellation? :)

I once rented a Lada car for a month or so; if I ever get in/on another soviet vehicle again you can commit me to the loony bin.

LateNate

Adventurer
Thanks for the input guys. I not worried about speed. I like the looks. Old school and clean. I would buy a used one because I can't buy a brand new one. It's on the list of vehicles I am trying to decide for the continuation of my Pan-Am trip.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I've got one as I too had to give it a try, and it is soon to be listed for sale. No issues just trying to simplify. We used it around town with two kids in the hack and the wife on the back and enjoyed it- a hoot offroad too....

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I believe that there are two 2wd urals on ADV right now, you may have to go back a few pages.

I personally think they are a super cool bike. I read about a fellow who bought and road a 1950's ural across Russia (from Moscow I think) and took it across on a boat to AK, then road it home in the USA somewhere.

Of the things his ride showed me, they are cool bikes, easy to fix, parts are plentiful in Russia because they are broken down everywhere, and they are not for me. I love them, and will likely never own one. They are like a Unimog, Super high on the COOL points, super LOW on the feisability and validity of ownership. Again, that is for me, and I fully see how others can love them and own them.

best of luck.

ibcrusn

It's a unique bike and offers capabilities not available in more modern bikes. At one time I thought it would be a fun ride to purchase but in the US not being able to keep up with road traffic was an issue. However, if you're planning on a true adventure it'll do the job. I've been following a guy's blog for a few years now that is riding all over the globe on his Ural and is worth a look. http://www.thetimelessride.com/index.htm

D

Deleted member 9101

Thanks for the input guys. I not worried about speed. I like the looks. Old school and clean. I would buy a used one because I can't buy a brand new one. It's on the list of vehicles I am trying to decide for the continuation of my Pan-Am trip.

My only concern would be parts.... the Japanese bikes are well supported through out the world. As for me, I prefer to travel at a slightly higher rate of speed...lol

P10307401.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online