5th Gen 4Runner roof rack options?

TX03RUBI

My GF and I do a lot of camping/hiking/kayaking. She is looking to pick up a new 4Runner this month, and I would like know what quality roof rack options are available. It would need to be able to hold a RTT at times, and 2 kayaks at others. Im looking primarily for just the proper load bearing bars, and not a basket style. Load capacity is my primary concern, followed by mounting system. I'd prefer non permanent modifications for mounting, but if necessary would go with a permanent set up.

What are my options? Are there mounting systems that would allow custom fabrication?

Fishpilot

Tons of rack options out there. Gobi, Baja, etc. as well as the standards Yakima and Thule. The full length racks are quite pricey ~1500 plus some pretty steep shipping depending on where you live. You don't need a rack to mount most RTTs, they'll mount directly to the factory roof rails (not the factory crossbars, they are a joke) but keep in mind the process of mounting and removing the RTT is not easy. Some of the RTT brands also have rack options that you can look at on their site for ideas.

Yakima is my brand of choice, some prefer Thule, either way I'd say hit up eBay for used bars to save some money and buy the towers new to be sure they are in top condition. I use a yakima load warrior and put a bike rack on either side when using the yakima cross bars. Before I got the yakima bars I used the factory cross rails (still a joke of a part) and just mounted the load warrior to the cross bars and two bike mounts to the load warrior. That cut down on space and was not the most secure option in my opinion, hence my addition of yakima crossbars.

Remember the racks have static and dynamic load ratings. When you add a tent, rack, people, and gear you'll probably exceed published load ratings from the owners manual. That is rarely a problem because the stated limits are usually dynamic, and unless you plan on being on the tent while driving you should be fine.

codybutz

Observer
Just ordered a Gobi for our 2014 4runner. Uses stock rack mounting location. You can order it with fixed or adjustable cross rails. Works with Yakima and Thule products. Low profile. Although it is more of a basket style, because of its low profile I wouldn't lump it in with some of the more traditional basket/racks out there. It will hold canoes and kayaks without additional cross members. I will admit the website isn't the best, but after talking with them on the phone and hearing about all the options I'm happy with my choice.

BentBomber

www.bomberproducts.com
My opinion to run a RTT and/or kayaks, go with Thule. Much lower cost to get into it, and the Thule cross bars will hold your tent with no problem. If you were inclined to do so, you could even run wider than normal bars, set your tent up to flop over the back, and carry (and delpoy) your tent and two kayaks at the same time. This would work well if you went with one of the smaller tents. Full disclosure, I manufacture parts for Thule/Yakima stuff. That being said, I still think the functionality of what you have in mind would be increased by a crossbar style rack as opposed to a flat rack. A flat rack would require the removal of your tent to haul kayaks, where with wider cross bars you would not have to remove the tent unless you were inclined to.

Also, The reason I chose Thule over Yakima is that Thule stuff is crash rated high than Yakima just based on the rectangular bars versus round bars. That is just my two cents, I hope it helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179