5x8 Cargo Trailer Conversion

davidshourd

Adventurer
couple coats of some polyurethane and they are about good to go. trying to get out camping this weekend to test the set up for a night. now I just need to attack the fold down bed set up.
20140331_184102_resized.jpg

davidshourd

Adventurer
after taking a day long cruise around north Idaho for our future camping spots and running into way too much snow to even try and push on we headed home to a nice upper 50's sunny day. decided to pull the trailer out and do a little driveway mock up. let everything breath a little. having the front receiver hitch on my truck is really nice sometimes!
20140406_145552_resized.jpg
20140406_145606_resized.jpg

davidshourd

Adventurer
been on a couple trips since I last posted. so far everything is working and holding up great despite me dragging this down narrow/bumpy roads and river bars.
20140628_165836_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20140627_121025.jpg

5x8 Cargo Conversion

Very functional build! I like this a lot so much that I think I will copy this! What clips did you use to mount "kitchen " cabinets? Also , how did you mount awnings? Thanks and happy camping.

Whiskeycutter

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I wanted to do similar build as you. Toy haulers was to much and I picked a RZR a month back. I been using an open trailer but been thinking if doing an enclosed trailer that will double as base camp. Only thing I'm worry about is will my 2004 tundra v8 pull all the weight without issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davidshourd

Adventurer
Very functional build! I like this a lot so much that I think I will copy this! What clips did you use to mount "kitchen " cabinets? Also , how did you mount awnings? Thanks and happy camping.

Whiskeycutter

The cabinets are hanging on cabinet clips, also known as "French cleats", here is a link to a similar cleat. I had a cabinet company provide me with a bunch of 2' lengths. so each cabinet clips on 3 rows about 2' wide. very sturdy. then at the top of the cabinet there is a slide lock that throws a bolt into a hole. keeping the cabinets from bouncing off the clips when going down bumpy roads. so far it has worked very well.

http://www.hooksandlattice.com/heavy-duty-hangers.html?gclid=CJ3JoPGzvb8CFQmMaQod6aYAvg

The awnings are just bolted on. the one on the back was much simpler as there is a vertical surface there to just bolt right through the back plate of the trailer. the side awning was a bit more of a challenge due to the radius of the roof. I used a 1/4" thick aluminum angle with a 4" leg down and a 1 1/2" leg going the other direction. this pretty much created a flat surface to mount the awning to. then 4 long bolts go through the awning bracket, the aluminum angle and the internal frame of the trailer. keeping it horizontal to the ground when open. bit of a pain but worked out well and hell for stout.

guts

It looks like we may have missed a step in your build! looks like you built in a "bed" with some storage under it. Is that a fold down platform that you're sleeping on or is it permanently mounted?

davidshourd

Adventurer
It looks like we may have missed a step in your build! looks like you built in a "bed" with some storage under it. Is that a fold down platform that you're sleeping on or is it permanently mounted?

the bed is a bifold that hinges up to the each side wall. covering about half the window on each side (good protection from motorcycle handle bars during loading it turns out!). when hinged up a couple throw bolt locks slide in to keep it tight to the wall. when folding down there are a couple cleats on the wall to hold a 2x4 to span from side to side and support the plywood bed. the cabinets on the back door make the head board with convenient storage for stuff and things at night.

20140412_181235_resized.jpg

dstock

Explorer
Very nice build!

Would it be possible to put a RTT on something like this? I am looking at doing something similar but not to sleep inside.

Thanks.

davidshourd

Adventurer
Very nice build!

Would it be possible to put a RTT on something like this? I am looking at doing something similar but not to sleep inside.

Thanks.
For sure! I added roof rack cleats that match the cleat spacing on my truck so i can put my rsck from the truck on the trailer. Added some additional steel on the interior to beef things up a bit. Easily could hold a couple hundred pounds.

dstock

Explorer
For sure! I added roof rack cleats that match the cleat spacing on my truck so i can put my rsck from the truck on the trailer. Added some additional steel on the interior to beef things up a bit. Easily could hold a couple hundred pounds.

Very nice, thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle