6 lug Pro Comp/ Visions on 1st gen Tundra advice!

mshred

Hey guys,

Looking to replace the current factory 17" 5 spoke wheels on Cooper 265's on my 2003 tundra access cab with 16" steel wheels in the pro comp/vision variety of D window or Soft 8's on a 285 or 255 AT or MT tire. I have always been a sucker for that look on an off road vehicle, and it works nice that the price is right. The truck has been lifted, so I know I should be able to run the larger size tires just fine.

My question is for those who have used these style wheels on 6 lug Toyota vehicles- I have read that there is possibility that the calipers will rub the inside of the wheels. I have also read that these wheels are lug centric, and would not work on the Toyota's hub centric design.

I have done my research, and its extremely hard to find any responses or info on people running these on a 1st gen Tundra, hence why I am posting. If they do indeed hit, are there simple spacers (say 1/4-1/2") that would allow for clearance and also allow pressure to be on the hubs instead of the lugs?

Any experience is appreciated, and pics make everything better! (pics below show current stance- Bilstein 5100's up front on 4th notch, custom heavy duty spring pack in back)

Attachments

• 20210102_140147.jpg
    20210102_140147.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • 20210109_163745.jpg
    20210109_163745.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 36

mshred

Just gonna bump this, figure there has to be some 6 lug toyota guys running pro comp/vision/ or other steel wheels of some sort on here...

bkg

Explorer
how about looking for hub centric steel wheels? Perhaps factory spares?

In my experience, lug centric wheels on hub-centric vehicles often lead to time spent looking for source of weird vibrations.

mshred

how about looking for hub centric steel wheels? Perhaps factory spares?

In my experience, lug centric wheels on hub-centric vehicles often lead to time spent looking for source of weird vibrations.

I agree with you completely about the hub vs. lug centric. I have not joined any boards or posted any questions, instead I have searched the HECK out of this assuming I can find the info out there somewhere, and I can't seem to find anything about steel wheels that ARE hub centric. I have found a few threads of guys with landcruisers bolting on pro comp steel wheels, but never read anything about issues they may have had, hence my post.

I have even considered a very small spacer that would essentially go from hub centric to lug centric for the steel wheels, and still give enough clearance on the calipers, if such a thing even exists

If there are steel wheels that will work, I am all ears. The only thing that has stopped me with running factory spares is the backspacing is not right for running a 285 (maybe a 255 will work) without using a spacer, and I am still not sure how I feel about those yet....

By the way, thanks for the reply

Toyaddict

Not really what you're asking about but I'm running 17" FJ steel wheels on my Tundra. The offset may not be adequate though, I'm running a stock sized tire so I'm not of much help in that regard. They were $358 new shipped off ebay. They aren't oem but are made to oem specs.

bkg

Explorer
I agree with you completely about the hub vs. lug centric. I have not joined any boards or posted any questions, instead I have searched the HECK out of this assuming I can find the info out there somewhere, and I can't seem to find anything about steel wheels that ARE hub centric. I have found a few threads of guys with landcruisers bolting on pro comp steel wheels, but never read anything about issues they may have had, hence my post.

I have even considered a very small spacer that would essentially go from hub centric to lug centric for the steel wheels, and still give enough clearance on the calipers, if such a thing even exists

If there are steel wheels that will work, I am all ears. The only thing that has stopped me with running factory spares is the backspacing is not right for running a 285 (maybe a 255 will work) without using a spacer, and I am still not sure how I feel about those yet....

By the way, thanks for the reply

Dumb question, perhaps, but why steel? Is it just aesthetics or is there a functional reason?

No idea if a hub-to-lug centric spacer exists... No idea how that would even work, but I'm NOT an engineer.

mshred

Dumb question, perhaps, but why steel? Is it just aesthetics or is there a functional reason?

No idea if a hub-to-lug centric spacer exists... No idea how that would even work, but I'm NOT an engineer.

I have always loved the look of D- Windows on off road vehicles. Steel is also stronger, easier to repair on a trail, and cheaper ahaha

I don't know if they exist either, was kinda hoping I would get a little more info on this here overall, but so far not having much luck.

Numbchux

Steel is also stronger

False. Factory alloys are tough SOBs. Cheap aftermarket alloy wheels....well, not so much.

Toyota used about 50/50 mag/shank or conical lug nuts on the alloy wheels. The steel wheels are almost certainly conical, so you may need new lug nuts.

If your new wheels have a larger hub bore than factory, buy a set of hub centric rings to make up the difference. Easy.

I just googled "Tundra Brake swap", as I know those parts are frequently swapped over to Tacomas and 4Runners. Looks like there are 2 different Calipers in that vintage, one will almost certainly fit under 16s, the other only fits under some 16s. Start by pulling a wheel off and seeing which one you have (casting number on the caliper or pad size).

bkg

Explorer
I have always loved the look of D- Windows on off road vehicles. Steel is also stronger, easier to repair on a trail, and cheaper ahaha

I don't know if they exist either, was kinda hoping I would get a little more info on this here overall, but so far not having much luck.

I wouldn't place too much on the "stronger and easier to repair" items anymore. Unless you're going all KOH, likely will never be an issue. And even then, I don't think a lot of KOH participants use steel wheels.

mshred

False. Factory alloys are tough SOBs. Cheap aftermarket alloy wheels....well, not so much.

Toyota used about 50/50 mag/shank or conical lug nuts on the alloy wheels. The steel wheels are almost certainly conical, so you may need new lug nuts.

If your new wheels have a larger hub bore than factory, buy a set of hub centric rings to make up the difference. Easy.

I just googled "Tundra Brake swap", as I know those parts are frequently swapped over to Tacomas and 4Runners. Looks like there are 2 different Calipers in that vintage, one will almost certainly fit under 16s, the other only fits under some 16s. Start by pulling a wheel off and seeing which one you have (casting number on the caliper or pad size).

This is good info, I will look into this, thank you! My tundra has the factory 17" wheels, so I will need to look into this caliper info before thinking about going to 16s

As for steel vs alloy, I never said alloy isnt strong, and I have considered just running my factory wheels with a spacer since they are probably better then most alloys in my price range. But steel is stronger...that's a fact as far as I know :)

I wouldn't place too much on the "stronger and easier to repair" items anymore. Unless you're going all KOH, likely will never be an issue. And even then, I don't think a lot of KOH participants use steel wheels.

I'm assuming KOH is king of the hill?

You're right, I'll probably never have an issue for what I'm doing, but my preference is still on steel ahaha

Numbchux

But steel is stronger...that's a fact as far as I know :)

They aren't, though. With the exception of cheap ones, an alloy wheel will hold up to a lot more abuse. Now, a steel wheel can be bent back, where should you happen to hit an alloy hard enough to damage it, it will probably break. But the only times I've seen a hit hard enough to damage an alloy wheel, it's done a LOT more damage, and you would likely have been stranded regardless of what wheel was on it.

You could argue that the weakness of a steel wheel might actually save other components. I tagged a curb once in my XT6 with alloy wheels on it, and bent the rear swing arm and the wheel was fine. My now-wife did in her Kia once, and bent the hell out of the wheel (wrapped around the brake caliper) but nothing else. She had to put the spare tire on it right there in traffic, where I was able to carefully drive home and do the larger repair in the garage. Hardly a scientific comparison, but a couple anecdotes worth considering.

Each to their own, if you like the look, go for it. Just correcting that statement.

bkg

Explorer
I'm assuming KOH is king of the hill?

You're right, I'll probably never have an issue for what I'm doing, but my preference is still on steel ahaha

King of the Hammers.

Preference is totally fine. That's why I asked originally.

mshred

So besides factory steel wheels, does anyone make steels for Toyotas?

I thought I read in old threads on google on other forums about steel wheels sold by 1st gen offroad, but I looked and dont see anything there.

mshred

Gonna reply to myself here in case anyone is just browsing on by...

Up to this point, I assumed that those running method or fuel or black rhino or whatever other variety of name brand aftermarket off road wheels on their vehicles had toyota specific rims from those manufacturers- I mean, it seemed safe to assume that, given people spend hundreds of dollars and that maybe those wheels are offered in a hub centric variety....

Well, I was wrong. Those are all lug centric wheels, which I can just maybe guess that those individuals running them use a hub centric adapter ring in a wheel with a slightly larger hub bore then required i.e. 108 on a 106mm hub. Anyways, knowing this has really got me wondering- if all these individuals run these setups, actually wheel (not just mall crawlers) and are fine, then I really need not be going crazy trying to find hub centric wheel setups, which would in that case close my need for any other info besides caliper clearance scenarios.

Just thought I would drop this here for any that were wondering or stumble on this with the same questions as myself...if I am missing something, someone please fill me in, because I have circles searching on the the internet about this stuff, and this is my conclusion lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle