60 Series Suspension Question

mwfish

Did some looking around for new suspension for my '87 Cruiser. I have decided that Old Man Emu is what I am looking for. The only question I have now is how far to go? For example, Man-A-Fre has two options, Basic and Deluxe. I am not looking for a crazy off-road vehicle, just better suspension for more weight options. Future roof top tent, rear drawer system with fridge, and a winch. So again, the question, am I going to get by with the Basic kit, or should I get the Deluxe kit? There is $475 difference, that could go for some of my other stuff. Thanks for the help.

Mike

cruiser guy

Explorer
I thought OME was a "light", "medium" of "heavy" option. If the deluxe option is greaseable pins and shackles that might be worth it too but $475 sounds steep for greaseable pins and shackles.

mwfish

I need to clarify, both the basic and deluxe come in light, medium, and heavy. The basic is 4 Dakar springs, shocks, center bolt spacers, and bushings. The deluxe comes with the above, grease-able spring pins and shackles, sway bar links and a steering dampener.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Depending upon your load, I'd look at the medium/heavy deluxe kit. You might want to PM Cruiseroutfit here on Expo, who is an OME dealer. Kurt got me a great deal on my deluxe kit for the Troopy.

-H-

BiG BoB

Adventurer
I've got nothing against OME, I'm probably going to be replacing my springs with them soon, but give some thought to running airbags in the rear.

Benifit is that when you load up for a trip, you can pump the bags up to suit. When you're home, let some air out and still have a comfortable ride.

I run them in the back of my work troopy, and I'm sold on them, just need to get off my MMM and get a set for my 60 :)

Christian

Adventurer
Hi

I cannot help on where you get it. I live in Denmark.

BUT get the greasable shackles and bushings theyre definetly worth it!
And remember to grease them once in a while.

With a well looked after EMU suspension you get the feeling of coil springs and a much nicer ride. Your car is 22 years old so your steering dampener is probably due for a replacement, why not get that too?

And while you are at it would'nt it be a shame not to change the sway bar bushings?

A year from now you would have forgotten the extra cost but you will enjoy a smooth ride!!!

(What a sales pitch... I have NO affiliation with either OME or sellers of OME... Time for some :coffeedrink:)

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
I need to clarify, both the basic and deluxe come in light, medium, and heavy. The basic is 4 Dakar springs, shocks, center bolt spacers, and bushings. The deluxe comes with the above, grease-able spring pins and shackles, sway bar links and a steering dampener.

Get the basic,the only thing that will know the difference will be your wallet.
The greasable pins/shackles are not that much better ,if any.
The original style rubber mounted pins and shackles work fine.

Or do what I did. Buy 4 springs and choose your own shocks.
Kits are not always the cheapest way to buy. Some kits may have 4 good springs and junk shockies

hks3sgte

César Gómez
IMO, the Heavy (diesel) springs are the ones to get. You can always remove springs if it's too stiff...

lowenbrau

Explorer
Get the basic,the only thing that will know the difference will be your wallet.
The greasable pins/shackles are not that much better ,if any.
The original style rubber mounted pins and shackles work fine.

Or do what I did. Buy 4 springs and choose your own shocks.
Kits are not always the cheapest way to buy. Some kits may have 4 good springs and junk shockies

You can't get good shockies over here. Well not better than the OME ones anyway. Well not better than the OME ones for less than the cost of...

Oh, and for the record a 'dampener' is something you use to cool the forehead of a person with a fever. Those shock-like things that cars and bikes use are 'dampers'. The control they give is 'damping'

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
The whole kit is the way to go. Whether you need to spend a lot more ofr shackles and steering dampener is up to you. You will notice a huge difference in your 60 with the OME suspension. I went heavy with my 60, and the whole package. Excellent!

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
You can't get good shockies over here. Well not better than the OME ones anyway. Well not better than the OME ones for less than the cost of...

Oh, and for the record a 'dampener' is something you use to cool the forehead of a person with a fever. Those shock-like things that cars and bikes use are 'dampers'. The control they give is 'damping'
Kritter & I, on RDC, eventually started referring to them as "damperens" and folks still didn't get it. Last that I knew he was designing them for Fabtech......

I went with an OME medium/heavy kit, with greaseable shackles and sold off the dampers in favor of some 2.0" Fox remote reservoirs. At the time the kit was less than buying the individual springs. So far I'm not impressed with the springs, but I have only about 100 miles at most on them. Maybe it's an unfair comparison because of the more effort put into it's suspension, but my '84 mini truck rides better than the 60. I had to drive the 60 about a mile and a half to weld on the front shock towers and I did so without any front shocks/damperens. Can hardly tell the difference with them installed.

BiG BoB

Adventurer
Kritter & I, on RDC, eventually started referring to them as "damperens" and folks still didn't get it. Last that I knew he was designing them for Fabtech......

I went with an OME medium/heavy kit, with greaseable shackles and sold off the dampers in favor of some 2.0" Fox remote reservoirs. At the time the kit was less than buying the individual springs. So far I'm not impressed with the springs, but I have only about 100 miles at most on them. Maybe it's an unfair comparison because of the more effort put into it's suspension, but my '84 mini truck rides better than the 60. I had to drive the 60 about a mile and a half to weld on the front shock towers and I did so without any front shocks/damperens. Can hardly tell the difference with them installed.

May I perhaps suggest that your Fox's aren't all that great? Or aren't set up for your specific use?

I could certainly feel the difference on my 60 when I put new shocks on, would be shocking without shocks

Sean

Christian

Adventurer

Ja ok, så prøv I at tale og skrive fremmedsprog ikke? En lille stavefejl og straks skal man hænges ud!

Translation:
Well ok then you try to talk and write in a foreign language? One little typo and you're hung out to dry!

Disclaimer: All of the above should be read out loud using a theatrically offenced voice. Especially the Danish!

:ylsmoke:​

Ruffin' It

Explorer
I'm going to second BigBob here. Shocks (dampers, damperens, tube-y-things) MUST be matched to the springs to get good results. A decent shock is going to be valved for specific weights and spring rate (its real purpose is to control occilation of said weights and rates, after all). That is why you will find many options from one company for the same applications. Mixing and matching sometimes can work, but will almost never yield better results than what a well engineered kit can.

OME offers a kit for a reason. You can try to better it, but unless you have an R&D dept or a lot of money and spare time for trial and error, you probably won't.

No offense intended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78