Ford Transit Connect Camper Conversion

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Maybe some inspiration for John at E-camper...I am not sure if it is actually usable or if it's too small, but it looks neat.

http://www.minicamper.nl/

camperwit_mini_Bzitrz.jpg

camperbrons_mini_lvO.jpg

MINICAMPER-dag_nacht-ind.JPG.jpg

camperzwart_mini_l.bankL.jpg

demo_-047Int.jpg

camperzwart_mini_zwenkkeuk1.jpg

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Small, but very nice.
A very clean set-up for the swing out stove.
A good idea to included in Sprinter build.

thetonka

Observer
Pretty cool. Not something I would want to live out of for an extended period, but for short over nighters it would be great. Thinking, parking lots after beer festivals. :beer:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Wondering if there could be a market for it in North America and how much people would be willing to pay...

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Can't stop thinking about this....

I could see several option available:
1. Full conversion including pop up roof for maybe $12,000
2. without pop up roof for around $10,000
3. do it your self kit, just the bits and pieces... for maybe $8,000

Wondering if there would be a market for a camper like that in North America....

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
For some inspired DIY conversions and otherwise neat idea's for making small van's/MPV's into usable camper's, have a look here, and here.

I like the idea of making a Fiat Doblo High Top MPV into a hard sided pop top camper. Although Fiat make the Adventure Locker version, which would be preferable, these are not available for the right hand drive UK market.

My objective is to make absolute use of the (limited) interior to maximize space, yet still be as equipped and self contained as possible. The smaller the van, the greater the planning!
character0248.gif

$(KGrHqF,!jME2HeCqLPYBNryI2s13g~~_12.JPG

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Very cool, I saw a little Citroen 2cv panel van made up as a similar camper a couple years ago in Portland Oregon. It looked like a perfect little rig to go around the world with and the fellow selling it said it had. What I likes is the way the rear opened up, the fellow had made an awning with a wrap around screen so it was protected as an outdoor multipurpose room so it could be anything from a workshop to a shower room.

This has the same feel but in a modern package. Now if only you could get the little TransitConnect with a diesel or ecoboost engine here in the US.

Patman

Explorer
I've always liked the Transit since it came out.

But can someone shed some light on the actual use of a 3' pop up? Like the old Sportsmobile bus pops, can't exactly fit in them. Unless you're a little person? Is it just to allow for standing room when changing, or an inside shower(not that I would want to steam up the inside)

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
Funnily enough, I seriously considered a 2CV van, however, finding a good condition, right hand drive model which is not priced as a 'classic' is next to impossible.

The Doblo has way more interior space than the Citroen Berlingo or Renault Kangoo, though the Kangoo was available as a 4 x 4 (even in the UK) and I really do like the High Top Doblo, which are available for not much more than a 'classic' 2CV van!

Would there be any reason why a US Transit Connect cannot be refitted with a diesel engine? The excellent Ford Transit Forum's Connect section, here, would probably be able to advise on the subject.

nemoaz

Observer
I've always liked the Transit since it came out.

But can someone shed some light on the actual use of a 3' pop up? Like the old Sportsmobile bus pops, can't exactly fit in them. Unless you're a little person? Is it just to allow for standing room when changing, or an inside shower(not that I would want to steam up the inside)

The early VW westies had those small poptops. You're right, they are just room for cooking, changing, and to some extent ventilation (the heat goes up and out).

I think an AT style flip top would work very well on one of these vans. This would free up the rest of the vehicle for living space. It would be a terrific mini-camper.

Harald Hansen

Explorer
The Peugeot Partner (same vehicle as the Citroën Berlingo) is available with 4x4 and raised suspension. The VW Caddy also comes in a 4x4 variant.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
The Fiat Doblo had 33% more load area than the Berlingo, and that was with the standard roof model, things improved further with the high top, which was available on the MPV and van models.

I quite liked the capability of this Doblo, which, if available in RHD, would be great.

news_2002_114_01.jpg

TeufelHunden

Observer
Why not just make the pop-up longer and have it as the bed? I would love one of those for going to my races. A full size van would be great too but the fuel economy would kill my wallet. Doesn't the Transit Connect get 25-29 highway?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior